Super Smash Bros [Wii U | 3DS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sakurai has gone on record saying he's not happy with what Melee turned into, as its competitive play was too inaccessible to new players and cut too many stages and features than he would have liked. I think that to Sakurai, Final Destination with no items is all that competitive play really is. The problem isn't that competitive players don't want too many elements in their matches though, but that all of the different factors need to be balanced and have as little random elements as possible to ensure that competitive matches do what they're actually supposed to do; determine who is the best. If Sakurai made an effort to make item spawnpoints and times nonrandomized, I'm sure the competitive playerbase would try to integrate it into their matches.

Of course, he could have chosen Final Destination as the standard for competitive balance, and I suppose there's not much wrong with that, but some characters are inherently going to have more of a use for fall-through platforms than others. If he had to choose one stage to represent competitive play, I think Smashville would have been the best pick. To date I think it's probably the least biased neutral stage in any smash game. That and Hyrule Castle, maybe. And the idea of competitive FFAs still bothers me.... I guess we'll just have to see how it pans out I guess. It probably won't be too bad, but it won't be a replacement for the advanced rulesets the community will come up with.

The sad part is that it doesn't matter at all how accessible competitive play is. I never played Melee competitively back in the day and it never stopped me from enjoying the game. I didn't know how to wavedash or L-cancel or even tech. I didn't even know you could jump cancel your reflector.

Sakurai could make a worthy successor to Melee and casual players would still buy it and enjoy it. But unfortunately it isn't the game he wants to make.

IIRC, Sakurai's aiming for some sort of middle ground between Brawl and Melee, in terms of both game feel and atmosphere. I think Sakurai understands the consequences of trying to shaft the competitive nature of the game after the blunder of random tripping, and Namco Bandai working on it means bullshit like infinite chaingrabs probably isn't going to slip through, or at least not as easily. That being said, I figure that he would like competitive SSB's gameplay and strategy to be understandable to the new player at face value, and I'm all for this. My only concern is that the game is actually balanced, because I don't want to see SSB's veteran jack of all trades stuck in the bottom tier again while Midget Batman topples over everyone else using only two braincells focused on mashing the B button and the C stick.

Last edited:
3DS will probably get another Sonic stage.

It'd be great if we didn't get a generic first zone kind of level.

People generally associate Sonic with Green Hill, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that

Nope. No sonic stage will appear for 3DS. In the latest video, Sakurai showed all the stages that will appear for both versions. Windy hill was an exclusive Wii U stage, and no other sonic map was mentioned.

That's not every stage. Because if it were, it'd be

A) revealing all the new stages which it is too early for

B) an absolutely pathetic selection

C) stupid

Like why would he show us every stage there already is?

Nope. No sonic stage will appear for 3DS. In the latest video, Sakurai showed all the stages that will appear for both versions. Windy hill was an exclusive Wii U stage, and no other sonic map was mentioned.

Those were ALL the stages? That's obviously incorrect.
Also, the Charizard & Greninja trailer showed a new stage that he didn't mention. The elite four stage, in case nobody noticed.

It's too bad the Wii U date is so far out, because that's the one I really want. I guess they just need more development time on it.

Or it's possible they started it sooner, or have been spending more time developing it otherwise.

Don't judge quality to a release date.

I suspect it's more likely that it's a combination of two things:

1. We found out about the Kirby Air Ride mode that's exclusive to the 3DS version, so the assumption is that there's at least one exclusive mode for the Wii U version. It would also stand to reason that once they decided they'd be doing a staggered release, they'd focus on the 3DS exclusive mode first.

2. High definition assets take longer than the low resolution assets the 3DS is using.

Windy Hill is a terrible choice for a stage. The creators may as well just make the old Brawl Green Hill Zone stage look a little bit better and call it a day since they basically took Sonic from Brawl and slapped a new model on top of his moveset.

FYI, I think virtually every level in Sonic Lost World is attrociously designed. Floating tubes and blocks. Calling that platforming. Ew.

Windy Hill is a terrible choice for a stage. The creators may as well just make the old Brawl Green Hill Zone stage look a little bit better and call it a day since they basically took Sonic from Brawl and slapped a new model on top of his moveset.

FYI, I think virtually every level in Sonic Lost World is attrociously designed. Floating tubes and blocks. Calling that platforming. Ew.

I loved Lost World actually (3DS version). If they do pick a stage from Lost World, I would like it to be Sky Road from Wii U/Act 3 of 3DS. That stage would fit perfectly actually. You know how in some stages there is most likly a hazard that attacks the player? Why not have it be the Metallic Dragon Boss thingy? (not sure if it appeared in the acts in Wii U version), but it could act like it did in the 3DS act 3 version how it would move in the background shooting fireballs at the player.

If they pick a level thats not from Lost World, it better be a good choice, because I honestly dislike Green Hill Zone in all aspects.

I loved Lost World actually (3DS version). If they do pick a stage from Lost World, I would like it to be Sky Road from Wii U/Act 3 of 3DS. That stage would fit perfectly actually. You know how in some stages there is most likly a hazard that attacks the player? Why not have it be the Metallic Dragon Boss thingy? (not sure if it appeared in the acts in Wii U version), but it could act like it did in the 3DS act 3 version how it would move in the background shooting fireballs at the player.

If they pick a level thats not from Lost World, it better be a good choice, because I honestly dislike Green Hill Zone in all aspects.

Zavok is riding the boss in the Wii U version, but yeah.

I'm okay with Windy Hills, just because Lost World in general used a lot of designs that hearkened back to older times, and the flickies are even in this stage.

That and it doesn't look as annoying as Brawl's GHZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back