Ever composed music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to compose music as well! SPLENDID! These were all made in ACID 2.0, in a music composition class. My teacher was a moron, and so my creativity was somewhat hampered. We were given a set library of loops that we can use. Here are a few of my works.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/djn9qd One of my first compositions, a basic blues.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ryzjsb It's hard to describe what kind of song this is, but it's definitely one of my favorite final products.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dbgt8y This song could have been amazing, if my teacher hadn't demanded that I have several different "parts" with different ideas, so the flow is ruined. It's still pretty catchy, but I'd rather just stick with the first motif in the song and work with that. Inspired by Jet Set/Grind Radio and the composer Hideki Naganuma.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sch7ql For this one, they pretty much just told us to go nuts and make what we want. This was a result, and it's not the greatest thing ever, but I think it's passable.

Ah, THIS topic. I remember this, back in the days when I called myself Guitarplaya.

Man, that stuff i was doing back then sucked. I've been playing 7 years now, and have just started highschool, and am in two bands and do advanced jazz. I'm beyond the point where I find tabs and play them, and I'm glad for that.

Memories.

The best I can do is stick a bunch of soundfonts into a midi and make a lame OGG out of it.

I'm not musicially inclined, sadly; as much I wish I was, I have little to no talent for anything musical.

I'd love to compose works for the piano specificially, but I don't even know how to play one, nor am I very capable of doing so even if I actually was in a situation where I could learn on or even afford a 500 dollar digital.

Doesn't mean I don't want to.

Developing music is a topic I know very little of to begin with, and combined with mental block issues (that plague my SRB2 level development, schoolwork, and anything creative in general), any work I'd make wouldn't be very pleasing to the ears if I somehow did pull something off :p

How did the rest of you get into this? Did you take classes or something?

Er, I can play complex piano pieces which would otherwise take months for others to learn, and play them by ear. I can't read a single note of music, and I'll usually compose my own stuff by ear too. I haven't released many of my compositions though, most of them are still midis.

Play an instrument? Yeah, guitar. Ever compose a song? Um.... Well there was this one time I was jamming with my band, and we played Bebe Le Strange by Heart. Our singer is a guy btw.

Anyways, we all messed up and started playing Kashmir, and then we just started playing notes similar to it's main riff and it just evolved into a new song. Haven't played it since, so I don't really remember what we played, I just remember that day.

Penopat said:
How did the rest of you get into this? Did you take classes or something?

Well, when I started doing MIDIs a few years back I just clicked and placed notes where they sounded right. Took me a week or two to actually be inspired enough to do complete songs but I at least didn't have to learn how to read musical score all over again.

Myself personally, was taught the sax two years before in the 5th grade, but considering I forgot about all that crap...

Oh, also! MIDI compositions from a contest off VGMusic forums:

Rite of Passage
The Ocean Depths
Crisis 4037

My music making has to go back to at least a decade ago; we had an electric piano, so I would screw around with it sometimes. I'm not sure when it was that I actually started making sense out of what I was playing, but eventually I was playing songs from Mario, Megaman, Sonic, whatever. No tutors or classes or anything. I DID eventually get a tutor once for the piano, but I honestly didn't care enough to practice proper piano techniques and sheet music, so I dropped out of it after half a year. I must have been about ten years old or so when we got a Yamaha XG piano with midi recording capabilities, so that's when I started trying to make complete remixes and compositions. Granted, they mostly sucked. But that's besides the point.

When I was thirteen, I found out we had software that I could make midis in, so I turned it into a hobby, and it's what I've been doing ever since. Except, now my skill has even improved since then, and now I have a Yamaha XG softsynth so I can make even better sounds out of midi. So now I can make stuff like this.

Uh, other than that, I did play alto saxophone for our school's concert band. I got sick of having to get ready for school so early, though, so I stopped after a couple years. I don't think I've even picked up the sax since, heh. I could probably still play it if I had some new reeds.

Ice said:
Er, I can play complex piano pieces which would otherwise take months for others to learn, and play them by ear. I can't read a single note of music, and I'll usually compose my own stuff by ear too. I haven't released many of my compositions though, most of them are still midis.

This, only the majority of my midi compositions are released.

I DID compose a few loops in Garageband on a school laptop I used to use.
Everybody I showed it to loved it.

I actually just finished writing a short piece of chamber music which will be played at a Boston Conservatory recital soon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjkzym2ngtf

Another unfinished composition of mine.

Where's the feedback for the last ones I posted here? =(

(Come on, I need feedback, people! I can't judge these myself! How can I improve when noone criticises my work? Why aren't the critics in this community doing anything?)

EDIT: Oh, and here's an unfinished version of my remix of SRB2's Deep Sea Zone, MIDI style, in case anyone's interested:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nmfmry5mmyn

Last edited:
The problem is, you upload your music to download. Not everyone wants to download a piece of music and delete it afterwards.

That is why another user gets tons more replies when he uploads it to youtube. (Gaining many thousands of viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back