Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Classic Sonic Games

• Not sure

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duh. The classics. Sonic Team hasn't come close to their old games because they're too busy trying to copy everything else.

Well, I think they had the right idea with some of the new games. Like putting actual bands for music and such, but their actual execution bombs. They don't put any effort into the games anymore. (Or common sense.)

The new games are at least fun at first. Then they sit on the closet forever. Not the classics, though. I'd say both, with the classic being the leader.

ViralZero said:
Well, I think they had the right idea with some of the new games. Like putting actual bands for music and such.

Umm, Sonic 1 and 2 was composed by Masato Nakamura of the Japanese Pop Band "Dreams Come True", and Sonic 3 was partially composed by Michael Jackson...

classic/modern Sonic games? Or games in general?
If sonic games, I prefer classic.
If all games, I'd say both. Halo series was pretty damn sweet.

Modern Sonic games FTW. And I bet if the same poll was started over at the SSMB it'd probably be a little more balanced in terms of opinions.

Of course if you ask a forum based on a game that explicitly tries NOT to be like the new Sonic games nobody is going to like it. Elsewhere in the community, different results would likely be produced.

BUT I DIGRESS. :E

The modern games have their moments. Improvements such as the Homing Attack, better flying for Tails, and the Light Dash (especially the Light Dash) all do their part in improving the gameplay, and I think some of us will agree that some of those improvements would be interesting to say the least in the 2D games. Personally, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm never getting a game as good as my beloved Sonic 2 ever again, so I just put up with what we have. If you ever saw my post a while back about what needs to be in the next Sonic game, you'll notice it's not about "going back to the classics", because that's an impossible dream. It's never going to happen, so I think what we have now should be improved. There are some things the modern games do right-probably the best example of that is a level such as Speed Highway or Final Rush-rather than tossing away that formula, we should break it down and see if we can make the good parts better and the bad parts nonexistent.

That said, note I mentioned "beloved Sonic 2". It's my favorite game by far, partly because I've been playing it since I was three. The classic games are better by far...but that's just it. They're classic. We're never going to get the past back, why do we keep trying?

I choose both, for reasons like ST218 presented. Also, you need to realize; under a tad of technicality, SRB2 is a "modern" sonic game, even if it isn't official.

Sonicandtails218 said:
That said, note I mentioned "beloved Sonic 2". It's my favorite game by far, partly because I've been playing it since I was three. The classic games are better by far...but that's just it. They're classic. We're never going to get the past back, why do we keep trying?

Well, the reason SRB2 exists is to kinda prove it can be done. Just take the levels and add some curves and slopage in and you're all set.

I don't really like the modern 3D Sonic games. The collision is rancid and movement feels slippery. Most deaths involve falling into a pit. Going around loops and things feels more like a cinematic than something you actually do. And they feel highly unpolished. Things like no Game Over screen make the games feel like they were rushed.

I love Sonic CD the same way ST loves Sonic 2. It was the first Sonic game I had played. Brilliant palettes, music, clever levels... I don't think something like this will ever happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back