Anime Movies you would Recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
Lately I have been watching some anime films, and I've really been enjoying them. They've mostly been Miyazaki, so that kind of explains it (considering that I dislike most anime). Even if the plot isn't all that great, I really enjoy watching the animation and considering the massive amounts of time they must've put into every frame. So I've been wanting to expand my horizons, so to speak. But under some guidelines:

1. They have to be movies. I've found that shows tend to start out strong for me, and then steadily evolve into stranger and stranger plotlines until I just find it too nonsensical to continue. Not to mention that the quality of animation is usually rather low. Glorified slideshows, to put it simply.

2. Not too strange, please. This kind of ties in with what I mentioned above. I'm really turned off by the whole giant-eyes-and-cat-ears thing. I'm okay with the occasional weirdness, but I generally like the style to be more on the realistic side. Plotlines that are serious and meaningful I find to be the most enjoyable.

3. Not really a guideline, but more of a suggestion. English dub would be nice, considering that I don't usually like reading through a movie. But if it's really that good, then I wouldn't mind subtitles.

Now, go forth and recommend! Gogogo!

秒速5センチメートル/Byousoku 5cm (5 centimeters per second)
------
This is a truly amazing anime film created by award-winning producer, Makoto Shinkai. "Shinkai has been called "The New Miyazaki" in several reviews including Anime Advocates and ActiveAnime, comparisons". This film is about 60 minutes in length, filled with truly beautiful art, music, and story. Every single scene is painted with a depth, and brilliance unlike any other anime I've seen. Even in a scene where several pictures flash by in just a few seconds, each one of them is painted with utmost detail and grace. Shinkai's use of lighting is just masterful, and is complimented by a beautifully orchestrated soundtrack created by Tenmon.

I recommend to watch this over any other anime movie at the moment. It is a drama/romance, but I think even if you don't usually like the genre, it will still be worth the watch. If you enjoy this movie, I highly recommend "Voices of a Distant Star" and "Place Promised in Our Early Days", which are two earlier films created by Shinkai. Here are some pictures from Byousoku 5cm:

8ea156d0144b.png
February_comes_to_an_end_by_Bonsai1214.png

Byousoku_5_Centimeter-6.jpg
byousoku5centimeter2ccf.png

83021.jpg

Last edited:
秒速5センチメートル/Byousoku 5cm (5 centimeters per second)

The first thing that caught my attention in 5 CM Per Second was the lighting. The second thing I noticed was that the animators used more than one shade of color for shading, since most animation, anime or not, usually uses a single color.

I sadly never got around to watching past the first chapter. Got too busy and eventually forgot about it, but the first chapter that I saw was rather fantastic.

If I have to recommend an anime film, then AKIRA is pretty obligatory. It has some of the most consistently fluid animation I've seen in a Japanese animated film and even now, over 20 years later, not much can really top it. The plot is alright, too, though I've heard it leaves out a good chunk fromthe comic it's based off of.

I'd WOULD also like to recommend the Rebuild of Evangelion films, especially the second, but you'd have to watch the original 26 episode series and the End of Evangelion to avoid any continuity lockout, and it's a legendary mind-screw. ESPECIALLY End of Evangelion.

I've already watched Akira. The story didn't really impact me as much as the setting itself did. The animation was incredible, and Neo Tokyo was amazing; beautiful and terrifying at the same time. It's wonderfully sleazy, with futuristic buildings bigger than I could comprehend. I would pause at random intervals just to stare at the sheer amount of detail put into every frame.

That being said, there was some things that I disliked. The movie over-exaggerated the blood and gore a bit, to the point where I was sure that the animators simply took pleasure in drawing blood spatters where ever possible. Also, my opinion of the ending can be summed up in four simple words: "I don't get it."

Well, since you said you've already watched Miyazaki's films, that's pretty much my number one recommendation. I'd also recommend you check out "Grave of the Fireflies" although its a bit of a downer. It was still produced through Studio Ghibli and it was made by Isao Takahata. Not only is it an outstanding animated film, it also handles its subject with a lot of maturity.

I don't watch a lot of anime aside from the Studio Ghibli movies and a small handful of shows, I'm sure there are quite a few good anime movies out there.

Lately I have been watching some anime films, and I've really been enjoying them. They've mostly been Miyazaki, so that kind of explains it (considering that I dislike most anime). Even if the plot isn't all that great, I really enjoy watching the animation and considering the massive amounts of time they must've put into every frame.

I may be interpreting this wrong, seems to me you're saying Miyazaki's movies didn't really have good plots? If you want a plot, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and especially Princess Mononoke can deliver. However, most of his movies have an element of innocence to them and really focus on the characters. My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, and Kiki's Delivery Service have fairly loose plots, but in these movies it works, and is quite enjoyable.

2. Not too strange, please.

It's japan, even if it doesn't contain oddity, they manage to sneak it in there under a facade XD

Well anyway... I think if you want something among your two expectations I would go look up a movie called Tokyo Godfathers. Now don't think because I mentioned godfathers that it applies to "The godfather" cause a few people I know IRL thought it was a japanese version of that movie. No, Tokyo godfathers focuses somewhere along the day of Christmas eve involving three people living on the streets ((If memory serves me right... one is a divorced man who succumbed to drinking, one is a runaway teenage girl, and another is a transsexual man)) who happen to find an abandoned baby while digging in the trash. Of course the obvious is that they intend to bring the baby to it's parents but what happens among the rest of the movie doesn't JUST involve looking into these character's previous lives but rather seeing the connections of what this baby gets them into.

While I'm at it, I may as well point out this movie was made by Satoshi Kon, creator of Wolf's rain, writer of Cowboy Bebop, and his other works like Perfect Blue which I heard was pretty good too. Now regarding Tokyo Godfathers, I regret to inform you that it's in subs ((though I heard there's a dub somewhere)) but I will say despite reading a few lines here and there, the story and realistic characterization will keep you watching.

[QUOTE="Jev3]"Grave of the Fireflies"[/QUOTE]
Wait a minute... this is that movie that involves the events that took place after the bombing in japan correct? Two brothers, fathered to a soldier during WWII, but were pushed into poverty? God I wished I saw the rest of that movie T_T

Last edited:
It's japan, even if it doesn't contain oddity, they manage to sneak it in there under a facade XD
It really depends on what kind of anime you watch. Most of the mainstream ones, yes, there will be something considered by most people "odd". But there is a whole bunch of stuff out there that doesn't contain anything like that...Byousoku 5cm *cough* *wink* *nudge nudge*

Wait a minute... this is that movie that involves the events that took place after the bombing in japan correct? Two brothers, fathered to a soldier during WWII, but were pushed into poverty? God I wished I saw the rest of that movie T_T
Sounds just about correct, but the younger sibling was a girl :P

Well anyway... I think if you want something among your two expectations I would go look up a movie called Tokyo Godfathers.
I was just thinking of suggesting this movie, yes. It is strange, but not in a supernatural sort of way, more in a "one of our main characters is a transvestite" sort of way. Still worth watching. I randomly caught it on the TV one night and quite enjoyed it.

I may be interpreting this wrong, seems to me you're saying Miyazaki's movies didn't really have good plots?

Oh, nononono. I was just saying that the anime movies that I had been watching lately were enjoyable, even if their plots weren't all that appealing to me. I was namely referring to Akira.

I looked at some of these movies, they sounded pretty interesting. However, I dunno about Akira. Sounds a bit too gory for my tastes.

I will definitely get to watching Byousoku 5cm eventually.

I've recently attained a love for Lupin the Third movies. The ones I've watched so far are Castle of Cagliostro (which Miyazaki worked on, it's probably the best one), Crisis in Tokyo (which is actually a long TV special and not a movie), and Farewell to Nostradamus. None of them give really detailed character introductions, mostly due to the fact that pretty much everyone in Japan knows who Lupin is already via some means. The dubs for them aren't that bad either. If you feel up to it, check out Cagliostro first and see if you like it.

I just have to say that Miyazaki's Ponyo is so friggin' adorable :3

...As well as recommend Origin Spirits of the Past. This dandy feature has extraterrestrial trees that control the Earth's supply of water, living man-trees, cryogenic maidens from the past, an army of badasses with spidertanks, and an automated walking volcano. Oh, and a pair of forest nymphs that hilariously sound like the pink and blue equines from the Charlie the Unicorn cartoons.

Last edited:
Ah Origin, yet another movie that I caught the last 30 minutes of when tunning on the Funimation channel. I did love the concept of humanoid nature kicking ass XD

Two other anime films that I would suggest are 時をかける少女 Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time), and サマーウォーズ (Summer Wars). These two films are directed by Hosoda Mamoru and are suitable for all ages. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a great drama/romance/adventure film, with a great story, beautiful art and wonderful music. I have not yet seen Summer Wars, but it is a comedy/scifi film that has gotten great reviews. I'll be watching it in the next few days and hopefully it won't disappoint.

Check out BLEACH: Hell Chapter when it comes out if your a big BLEACH fan like me! It's gonna be a sad one but still very good from the looks of it!

EDIT: saw it, it is amazing. even if your not a bleach fan i suggest you see it. could change your mind.

Last edited:
Well if you can deal with children dealing with puberty and emotional stress while fighting what appears to be angels sent to wipe out human kind accompanied with mind @$#% then maybe. I'd recommend watching the series first ((old or the remake thats out now)) before seeing the movies. Just a heads up, the movies (death and rebirth) is just the other episodes with new animation (prior to that time period) along with new scenes. The end of evangelion however is an alternate ending to the series merged into a movie format (two episodes into one).

I will say that you will be confused, and unsatisfied, but with a little digging into the shows and the movie, I'd think you'll understand what was going on...to an extent.

EDIT: Maybe seeing Rebuild of Evangelion would be better recommended due to the fact that this version contains less vague detail and the plot direction Anno (the creator) wanted.

Last edited:
Just wondering, are the Neon Genesis Evagelion movies good at all? Better yet, is it even a good show?

My repressed memories are resurfacing.

Thank you.

Though the Rebuild films are actually pretty good but that's not the point here.

Basically the series, especially the latter part, deals with a whole bunch of psychoanalysis and the show itself is partially a commentary on the nature of human reaction to other human beings. It's...not pretty, either.

If you do choose to watch the series, though, be forewarned: Episodes 25 and 26, the last two episodes of th TV series, will make absolutely no sense the first time. And if you're expecting the End of Evangelion to clear things up for you? HA.

Last edited:
LOL, Evangelion. Something to remember: don't watch the rollup movies in mixed company. While Gainax does use off-TV releases to finish the plot, like most anime studios they use them to squeeze in whatever fanservice didn't make it past Standards & Practices.

So what I guessing from reading these posts is that Gainax was always the same way back then. Awesome animes that don't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back