• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

It might look like it, but knowing MotorRoach, he is preety much making him from scratch or working with the Vanilla Sonic's body, but just to have like a skeleton to work in. Maybe, but I'm preety sure he is making it from scratch, which is awesome.

EDIT: Ninja'd

I like to see more progress of this stuff! It pleases me to be happily insane when it does... Also, does EVERY character fur to be green to start with?

I like to see more progress of this stuff! It pleases me to be happily insane when it does... Also, does EVERY character fur to be green to start with?

While a character may not be green to begin with (Tails for example), there are many shades of green in SRB2's palette. If you draw your character's sprites using pink, cyan, or another color with very few shades, he'll have many less shades when he changes color, and won't look as good. Therefore, it's best to use green (or blue or something with just as many shades as green, if you have a green part you don't want to change).

Also, I'm loving those sprites, MotorRoach. Especially the Sonic 3-style shoes on the back frame. My only complaint is that the death frame looks rather asymmetrical for some reason, but that could just be from the screenshot. In any case, keep up the great work!

Last edited:
My only complaint is that the death frame looks rather asymmetrical for some reason

I asked him to base it off of Sonic 3.

It's not really a problem whether it's asymmetrical or not.

Sorry for the lack of progress recently. The Sonic revamp is not the only thing I had to work on recently. Here's a few new screenies, however. This time with a certain palette addon for better viewing pleasure!

j6q0sm.png

9s9xeu.png

I like this, the first pic fit the classics, the second one... I just expected a little more un-even leg movement, similar to Sonic CD's "I'm outta here!" Sprites. You know, since sonic didn't have proper falling sprites in the classic sonic games....

I like this, the first pic fit the classics, the second one... I just expected a little more un-even leg movement, similar to Sonic CD's "I'm outta here!" Sprites. You know, since sonic didn't have proper falling sprites in the classic sonic games....

I like that pose, but I hardly think it fits to SRB2. It's way too dynamic for simply falling. Besides, I never intended to make every animation to be based on classic games, just a good part of them.

Apologies on the lack of updates, as Sonic is not the only thing I had to work on, but I did try to progress on him. Recently, I've got to finish all of the running angles (major help from Iceman404 in the back angle for running).

2csfbxd.png

ibyy3c.png

2ijoym9.png

Sonic is slowly getting closer to done, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to add everything I had planned for him in time for the NONLDC contest. If it doesn't turns out to be the case, I will have to either update him some time after the initial release, or just delay it a little more.

My only complaint is that the soles in the back running frame seems kinda thin. Other then that... amazing.

Those stretchy feet look kinda too stretchy from behind, in my opinion. Perhaps they simply look odd because I'm used to vanilla's. I guess it's just weird seeing change, and not that it actually looks bad or anything.

Also, those side frames are beautiful. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
It's definitely not one of those frames that is appreciated by a screenshot. It looks better in animation..

iRVByrEETgpUA.gif

Hrm... The way his legs move reminds me of a Sonic Xtreme WAD I played some time ago, to be honest. Not in a bad way, though. The only thing I don't like is that his spikes don't move in the wind, or at least not enough. It seems a bit unrealistic, even for Sonic.

Last edited:
Apologies on the lack of updates, as Sonic is not the only thing I had to work on, but I did try to progress on him. Recently, I've got to finish all of the running angles (major help from Iceman404 in the back angle for running).

2csfbxd.png

ibyy3c.png

2ijoym9.png

Sonic is slowly getting closer to done, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to add everything I had planned for him in time for the NONLDC contest. If it doesn't turns out to be the case, I will have to either update him some time after the initial release, or just delay it a little more.

Those sprites... That run cycle...

So. Much. Fucking. YES.

I stopped playing SRB2 for a while now (TF2 is a nice and addictive time-waster) and I started to play again just because of THIS.

I am loving this Sonic and I am REALLY hyped for him!

Ill say, the running from the side angle really does look like sonics, sonic 3 counterpart. keep up the great work.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back