View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011   #22
Rei
Omnomnomnom!

Well here's my reviews on the SP levels, I have to say they were fun to play and frustrating as well. Here's my scores:

Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan 7/10
Flower Cave Zone By MKP 2/10
Sparkling Icecap by Thompson 6/10
Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade 10/10
Stronghold Forest Zone by KO.T.E 8/10
White Mountain Zone by Kuba11 0/10
Waterway Ruin Zone Act 1 by Chrome 5/10
Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal 4/10

SP Level Reviews & Comments

Spoiler:

Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan 7/10

I found this level played quite well and the layout in general was good. This entire level is pretty average, and the textures + the music make it feel bland. There are a few quirks that were frustrating, for one thing the spacing between starposts seemed a bit far, especially the second and third one. This meant if you fell in one of the many death pits you'd have to go all the way back to that last starpost and make it back to your original position. The colormap was a nice touch since it was apart of the level's main theme and the trick you pulled with the damaging water was great, since it got you thinking about the previous water pit at the beginning. Overall I'd say this level was fun to play and it had a simple design but a challenge.

Flower Cave Zone By MKP 2/10

This was too easy and the overall level design was sloppy. For starters the entire map was just a square, and without any kind of reason to justify it's shape. An big open space in a cave still should have shape, not just some random raised sectors and a few neat features. Also you could've added something in the middle, like a basin to which the water falls in (instead of a pond) or a large stalagmite which the water flows off of. Was the large group of falling boulders needed? They were placed to close together and the noise obscured my own char's sfx. Again there is better ways to execute this. The enemy re-skins were a plus, but like I said just re-skins, nothing exciting. It was also very easy to complete the emeralds spawn in easy locations, it was quicker to complete than this review.

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson 6/10

In a perfect world, this would be an excellent level, but in this one it was hell. I loved the visuals but that was a downside due to the frame rate issues, HOMs, etc. From how my playthrough went (+20:00) I enjoyed it but at the same time felt like going ballistic. The non-linear puzzles were nice, but some of the solutions were out of the way and not at all noticeable. I would've ignored this if it were for a secret path or such but this was for the main path so it was frustrating. The gargoyle puzzle was surprisingly easy for what I thought might take forever. But then the next room ate my lives faster than any level. That platforming was tedious and tricky with the frame rate issues occasionally popping up. I accept that, but the lava was a pain. Specifically the fact it was intangible which meant instant death if you messed up. There was no room for error which made it feel frustrating beyond belief and then the part afterwords I'd rather not talk about but let's say this level may be one of the hardest I've yet to play. So overall the visuals were awesome but at the sacrifice of gameplay, some of the puzzles took too long or were not obvious (You could make an act out of one puzzle), and finally thank God I managed to beat it. Next time maybe balance the visuals and the gameplay.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade 10/10

I loved this level! The custom enemies were refreshing, the custom textures were nice, and the design felt unique. The music was my favorite part, I don't know why but despite being pelted by ice and charged at by murderous robo-penguins the music made me feel calm. I did get a bit lost in the beginning, but this was made up for with the hidden monitors and such. Although as Fawfulfan mentioned, what's the idea behind the river of snow? Is it thick slush or something? On a side note this level reminded me of Snowboard Kids for some reason. Overall I find this level was fun to play through and has some nice replay value.

Stronghold Forest Zone by KO.T.E 8/10

This was an interesting twist on the forest and castle theme, or rather fortress theme. I found it very engaging, and the custom Crawla enemies were neat but rather annoying in groups you should space them out like in some areas (especially since they can follow you and gang up). The spring nets and the overall fortress structure was done nicely, and the area before it were nice too. Also the cameos were great too. This was also quite difficult since many of the walls were non-climbable which meant you had to rely on gliding more often and had to be careful of where you go. Overall this level was great and the custom gimmicks + enemies too.

White Mountain Zone by Kuba11 0/10

Since this level is unable to be beaten due to no exit sector I'll review your level design but give you a score of zero due to it being qualified as unplayable. The map itself has potential but it feels so cramped and the hazards that are close together make passing through a pain. The use of switches to move the lava flow was nice and that's really all. I suggest you make future levels a bit less cramped and beatable.

Waterway Ruin Zone Act 1 by Chrome 5/10

This level was a big maze, and not a good one. You executed the textures well, they matched up and they never really conflicted. Also the music was quite nice, and lessened my rage. It was the design of the level that was confusing/frustrating, I mean the near pitch black hallways are a big no, especially in that one part where there were random death pits. Some of the rooms felt like there was some puzzle or a hidden item in them when there wasn't, it was just some raised sectors for no reason that you could jump on. Also at one point I passed a checkpoint that took me to the outside area with the rising floor with the holes that the aqua bombers use to attack. It looked like it meant I had to go down, so I did and wound up at a checkpoint I clearly didn't pass (Although that's probably apart of the same sector as the other one) and wound up lost again. With an open room, at least one path should be clearly labeled in some way that tells the player that its the right way. Overall this map could use some improvement and some clarity as which way is which.
EDIT: I looked at the map in DB and there are some rooms where if the player can confuse many other entrances for exits.

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal 4/10

At first I thought "Wow, this level looks like it has some potential!", then I saw the awkward use of seaweed as tall grass. My thoughts became "Oh, just a minor theme conflict or odd choice of textures." and then came the lava you can walk in, you seemed to get it right in the next area so it may have been a slip up but still wouldn't you have noticed when testing your map? Also right path was odd too, why does is the grass on that small platform different from the grass in the entire level? The placement of the flowers and such on the island are unnatural and it doesn't really look good. Also the DSZ textures clash with the ones you are using for your level. Overall though you got a good level layout, its playable, and it isn't that bad.

Last edited by Rei; 07-01-2011 at 05:48 AM.