Image Macro Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Alrighty, it's time for this to stop. Image macros, used sparingly, can indeed be funny. However, using them frequently is not funny and a major detriment to the forums. This is not /b/, we don't need to see lolcats everywhere, thanks.

So, let this be a warning: Idiotic use of image macros will lead to a ban. The administrators are the ones who will judge whether or not your image macro is funny, so if you don't want to tempt fate and guess whether or not we think you're funny, don't post any at all.

Mystic said:
Alrighty, it's time for this to stop. Image macros, used sparingly, can indeed be funny. However, using them frequently is not funny and a major detriment to the forums. This is not /b/, we don't need to see lolcats everywhere, thanks.

So, let this be a warning: Idiotic use of image macros will lead to a ban. The administrators are the ones who will judge whether or not your image macro is funny, so if you don't want to tempt fate and guess whether or not we think you're funny, don't post any at all.

Give me an example of an image macro.

When will you add an explicit rule forbidding image macros? Maybe it is already implicitly inside some rule, but making it explicit will reduce this a lot. Also gives you a stronger point to deal with them. By any change an image macro is valid? Then I assume that sometimes ignoring the rulebreaking is OK, due to common sense. It wouldn't be the first time you ignore that a rule has been broken when it has been done in a good way.

Also seriously, image macros almost never are fun. I really can't think in any fun image macro, and I've seen a lot of them. Also, image macros are normally large, so not only they often stretch the tables and make you scroll unnecessarily, but also take up a lot of time to load.

I'm not an admin so I can't do anything, but I have the feeling that if you keep abusing the IMG tag, then admins are likely to remove its support on the forum at all, like with every feature that has been abused, and if you want to post a screenshot or something, you'll have to use links. So stop, please.

Also ban links to stupid image macros or videos :/ And yes, this even includes linking to www.youfail.org

GemEarthBrandon said:
Give me an example of an image macro.
An image macro is an image with text placed on it. Generally they're used to make a statement designed to be humorous, by posting a picture instead of just the plain text. Here are some simple examples:

http://mystic.sepwich.com/image/stopposting.gif
http://mystic.sepwich.com/image/1154408241892.jpg
http://mystic.sepwich.com/image/lolinternet.gif

Used occasionally, they can be funny, but there has been a major overuse of them on the forums recently, and anything overused ceases to be funny rather quickly.

Sik said:
When will you add an explicit rule forbidding image macros? Maybe it is already implicitly inside some rule, but making it explicit will reduce this a lot.
They sorta already fit under the stupidity/spam rule, I'm just making it explicit that if you use them in stupid ways, you're going to get banned for it. The reason I worded it this way is because there ARE times when image macros are appropriate, and we'd lose something on these forums if we banned them entirely. For instance, the HMS123311 image is an image macro, and I'd say that our community wouldn't have been the same without that.

You forgotten to say that not only they're being overused but they're always the same images. That makes things worse.

But seriously, I wonder why image macros have to be SO large :/

JRose said:
I saw this coming ages ago. It seemed like every topic had one or more of those images in it. I only had one and I never got to use it. Also I see you moved and locked the Sonic forums. That forum was just a bad idea. Glad to see it gone.
That isn't an image macro. An image macro replaces something you could easily say in words but you don't want to. That's more of a joke image :/

Aww, no more stupid image macros that stretch the table? *shot*

In all seriousness, i'm fine with this, as I almost never post them.

It always was in effect in a way. Now, we just have a proper reason to ban people now since they spoiled the joke.

I've always thought that "forumpics" as I call them are rather generic and unfunny. I prefer original wit, thanks. =P

But yeah, this is probably a good call in any case.

*feels like it is all my fault*
Oh well! Who cares? *Auto-Homing-Infin-Rail'd*

nitro_the_hedgehog said:
Chaos Knux must be freakin out. :D

*is quite calm about this*
I'm not on drugz so I can't be "freakin out".

and as to an example of an image macro, it would be that instead of typing WTF in a post someone puts this pic in its place:
wtflol.png

Chaos Knux said:
*feels like it is all my fault*
Oh well! Who cares? *Auto-Homing-Infin-Rail'd*

nitro_the_hedgehog said:
Chaos Knux must be freakin out. :D

*is quite calm about this*
I'm not on drugz so I can't be "freakin out".

and as to an example of an image macro, it would be that instead of typing WTF in a post someone puts this pic in its place:
wtflol.png
You don't have to be on drugs to freak out. You don't even have to be on drugs to be high. I'm freakin high on life.

Does this mean I have to change my sig, Because I really don't want to?
And does that mean that I also can't do this:
16182994954802ab9fc1078.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back