Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanS

Hey!
We still don't have a thread for this eh... Well here goes.

The 03.8.2018 Nintendo Direct presentation showcased a trailer revealing a new Super Smash Bros title in development for the Nintendo Switch and scheduled to release in 2018.

The trailer confirmed the appearance of the Inklings from Splatoon as well as several returning fighters.

The game will be shown during Nintendo's E3 2018 presentation on june 12 and an Invitational Tournament will be hosted the same day (participants here
)

Now we wait a couple of days for things to drop...

Last edited:
Man, feels like we literally just had a Smash Bros. come out already. I'm too used to HAL's trend of releasing these games six or seven years apart, but now it's barely four.

Yeah, it definitely feels weird to have a new game so soon after Wii U/3Ds. Especially with the DLCs going up to early 2016.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm starting to feel like this is part of Nintendo's ongoing ploy to piss off everyone who bought a Wii U.

I hope there is actually an Adventure Mode this time around and physics that aren't as floaty. Also I really hope that Classic Mode is like the one in the 3DS version of 4 instead of the latter.

So, as there are people saying they feel that this game is "too soon", I'd like to just say that I don't feel that way. No, not just because "newer is better", I really do feel like Super Smash Bros. For Wii U has been out for a pretty long time by now.

About an adventure mode... If the hope is for something of the same scale as the Subspace Emissary of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I hope that there won't be such a thing in the Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. title, more or less for the reason that any time spent working on concepts for such a big adventure will likely be time not spent working on concepts for other things (like the standard fighting modes, where most of the players' time of the game will hopefully be spent).

About an adventure mode... If the hope is for something of the same scale as the Subspace Emissary of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I hope that there won't be such a thing in the Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. title, more or less for the reason that any time spent working on concepts for such a big adventure will likely be time not spent working on concepts for other things (like the standard fighting modes, where most of the players' time of the game will hopefully be spent).

Typically work begins on a new Super Smash Bros. title relatively shortly before the release of the console itself, if they've been following this trend but keeping to an actually reasonable work schedule (I.E. not working Sakurai to death), it would be feesible that in the year and 3 months they've had to work on it, they could get the core fighting game done fairly quickly and neatly, there's not really much more to refine gameplay-wise so there would be a lot more time to be put towards stages, characters, and possibly a story mode which I'm REALLY hoping for. Smash for me is fun but it gets repetitive if all you have to do is play the main fighting game (even with the event mode and stadium modes). I'd like to see something like a mix between adventure mode in Melee (recognizable locations, possibly a story based around that) and Subspace Emmisary in Brawl (multiplayer, probably not as big, definitely bigger than adventure in Melee)

Definitely curious as to whether the game is a completely new or an enhanced port like MK8D. Guess we'll find out at the presentation next week.

[size=-2]Really though I just want them to bring back Cloud[/size]

Gotta say that having every single character return for this game is quite awesome. Wasn't expecting Cloud and Ryu to survive the transition so I'm really grateful for this decision (plus we get to play as Snake again, another one I had no hope of ever seeing come back). The Zelda characters look great with the redesigns. Especially love Zelda's Link Between Worlds style.

Inkling seem really fun to play as and the fact that Ridley finally made it in, after all these years, is hilarious to me. So, they did say that we shouldn't expect too many new characters. Wonder how many more we're gonna get... In any case, it seems like they are gonna use echo fighters to mitigate the lack of totaly new characters and... I think I'm fine with that to be honest.

The official website is up by the way. It has a short intro video for each character and from Sonic's, it seem like Knuckles gets to be an assist trophy in the one.

I'm trying not to cave into the pressure to burn a hole in my wallet, but I've got to admit that the fanservice is pretty real.

God knows the Smash community has been screaming for Ridley for a decade and a half. I'm just glad to see Omega battlefields and Melee-esque airdodges make their return. I'm getting the feeling that they brought the same balance team from the WiiU/3DS over to this one, based on the mechanic and design decisions being made here. (I see this as definitely a good thing.)

I really like the preview for the Galaga track they made. It's pretty fun to listen to.

I had no idea how hard I needed Simon Belmont to be playable. That entire gameplay trailer gave me goosebumps. Fucking unreal.

I'm ecstatic that they basically made him play exactly like he does in Super Castlevania, from the special attacks to his whip techniques, which makes for a solid ranged/zoning character. Totally maining this dude once the game comes out.

Let's also not forget the fact that Konami music kicks ass and we're getting 34 frigging tracks from the series.

Dracula making a side appearance is also pretty cool. It looks like he's going to be a stage hazard, which is fine since we can toggle them now; might make for a fun nostalgic event battle like they did with Ridley and Yellow Devil for Smash 4.

On another note, I'm floored by the attention that was given to the stages. I'm trying to think of a previous stage that wasn't included in this game, but on top of that they're letting you toggle stage hazards AND giving you omega battlefields? Don't even get me started on the "stage morph" shit. What are they injecting back at HAL Laboratories?

Too many smart decisions on the gameplay modes; I'd gush more, but I need sleep and I go to work in like seven hours.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a previous stage that wasn't included in this game
Still no Pokefloat though :P

In any case, the presentation was beyond awesome. I honestly wasn't expecting this many character reveals and I'm loving the inclusion of all these options for stages. Also gotta say that the music selection is something that I always look forward to in Smash games so the updates on the official site are much appreciated. The Vega Stage tune is godlike.

Real talk though: the cinematics for these character teasers were incredible. I mean yeah, I pretty much shit bricks when S**** came on screen, but the detail, shaders, and all the little animations in general were just oozing with style. (And I love the fact that Dedede is basically Sakurai's outlet for trolling the fanbase.)

Man, and I thought 4's teaser animations were good. It's kind of unbelievable how much work went into them this time around.

Last edited:
I loved the cinematic feel of the character reveal trailers. It took me way too long to figure out the character that was revealed in both of them. (Don't know how I forgot about the one from the second one... strangely enough I was actually expecting a different character when it started)

Since Sakurai had said during the first direct not to expect too many new characters, I'm guessing this is pretty much it for entirely new fighters. There's not really any glaring omissions left that would have a hype-worthy reveal... and I feel like any more third party reveals at this point would be like "oh, another one." Not ruling out echoes though.

It seems a bit too early before the release date for every character to have been revealed, IMO. If I were to guess, I'd say we're due for at least one more non-echo.

Yeah, I would be surprised if this was it for entirely new characters. Going out of their way to state that more will be revealed in the coming months only to go ahead and only show echoes seems off to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back