Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
I know some of you have been waiting for this. You've been waiting for far too long. I've been so focused on other projects, and putting the finishing touches on this was an incredibly low priority for me. But I figured I might as well get it out there, for those of you who want it.

I'm probably not representing this update too well; the truth is, v9 is a huge change. All the levels have undergone massive renovation, plus there's custom music now, courtesy of Charybdizs.

Remember, there is a separate file for music. It's too big to upload here, so I'm providing mirrors.

I'd like to thank everyone who both loved and hated this mod...this community has really helped me on my quest to become a professional game designer. I hope you enjoy it.

Beta 1: The first demo of this mod. Just included Sunshine Atoll Zone and all the boss battles.

Beta 2: Eruption Conduit Zone and Drowned Downtown Zone have been added, plus a lot of renovations to most of the levels already in the pack!

Beta 3: Snowcap Nimbus Zone and Gritty Columns Zone have been added, plus some more renovations to existing levels. Notably, a new path has been created in SAZ1!

Final Demo: Fume Shaft Zone and Liftoff Gantry Zone have been added. Several of the boss battles have been improved, some drastically overhauled. And a few levels have been tweaked a bit.

Version 1.0: Now we're getting somewhere! Here's a list of the most significant new features:

-Complete Single Player Campaign. The levels are still in a pretty crude shape right now, and they will be improved later, but they're all there!

-Full Coop Support, and Coop-friendly alternate routes in some levels.

-Gamedata and saving capabilities.

-Emblem Hunt! There are 54 emblems in Tortured Planet right now (the Statistics page in the game says 56, but it's counting the secret emblems, which I have not added). One for each player in each of the first two acts of every zone, just like in the official level set. Be aware that the emblem locations are not necessarily permanent--some of the emblems have a somewhat crude placement, especially the ones for Knuckles. Later versions might have emblems which are hidden more creatively.

-A special intro cutscene, replacing the official intro, which explains the back story of Tortured Planet (I already explain it in this topic, but it's nice to have a reference in the mod itself).

-SIGNIFICANT changes to Sunshine Atoll Zone Acts 1 and 2. I'm not telling you what they are; you have to play to find out. However, you'll see many of them from the moment you load up the level.

-General bugfixing throughout the game.

Version 1.1: A hasty bugfix for v1.0.

Version 1.2: A hasty bugfix for v1.1.

Version 2.0: The Match levels have been made, and a few more minor graphical and gameplay bugs have been fixed.

Version 3.0: With the exception of Star Showdown Zone, literally every single map in the entire game has been overhauled at least somewhat (it's not apparent in some of the boss battles, but yes, I did make at least some really minor changes to all of them, too!) The Match levels, though still hardly top-notch material, have had many of their most glaring flaws corrected. And as for the Single Player levels, many of them have been totally transformed. You'll see more texture variation, more path splits, more new gimmicks, new areas, more secrets, and a general reduction in bugs. In addition, I followed a lot of the advice that has been given to me on improving the levels, so you'll see some of your wishes come true!

There is going to be a v4.0, but this should certainly tide you over until then.

Version 3.1: WHOOPS! V3.0 had a couple of problematic bugs...they've been fixed now.

Version 4.0: This update is pretty much as big as 3.0 was. Practically every level has been updated in some way, and many of them have significant new areas, gimmicks, and glitch removal. Also, new cutscenes have been added for the beginning of each zone!

Version 4.1: Bugfix.

Version 5.0: The most massive update yet. Most levels have been improved, some enormously expanded. ECZ1 was scrapped and remade entirely. Sunshine Atoll, Fume Shaft, Liftoff Gantry, and Spacewalk all have lots of new custom textures, and Gritty Columns now takes full advantage of the DSZ set. The boss battles have been revamped, the biggest changes occurring in Fume Shaft 3 and Star Showdown. There are loads more changes that you should also be on the lookout for!

Version 5.1: Critical bugfix (a pattern emerges).

Version 5.2: Son of critical bugfix.

Version 5.3: Good grief, another bugfix!

Version 6.0: This update puts 5.0 to shame. It features level improvements just as expansive, plus new secrets and unlockables. There is now a purpose to collecting the emblems and the Chaos Emeralds. Music has been changed in places, too. The levels themselves feature mostly visual improvements, but there are also some new or modified gimmicks and challenges to watch out for, as well as one or two new path splits.

Version 6.1: The mandatory hasty bugfix. This contains a lot of little fixes, instead of just the usual one or two.

Version 6.2: Actually, this one's got a little more than just bugfixes. It also features some minor graphical improvements to GCZ, and Weightless Whaling Zone has been optimized somewhat.

Version 6.3: All previous updates have either been large-scale transformations or tiny bugfixes. This is the first one to be somewhere in between. Version 6.3 features a whole slew of bugfixes, plus substantial changes to the first three zones!

Version 6.4: A couple of bugfixes, improvements to SAZ1 and ECZ, and optimization.

Version 6.4.1: Infinitesimal tweaking of SAZ.

Version 7.0: Sorry, but here's where the trend stops. v7.0 is nowhere near as expansive an improvement as v6.0. But there's still a fair amount of new stuff. The biggest change is the addition of the Tortured Archives, an unlockable blast-from-the-past that will allow you to play Tortured Planet as it was in Version 1.2, pretty much the first stable and complete version of the pack. Of course, v7.0 levels beat the hell out of v1.2 levels, but perhaps a playthrough of the pack at its worst will help you appreciate how far Tortured Planet has come. Besides Tortured Archives, you'll also find an even better Sunshine Atoll Zone, plus scattered bugfixes.

Version 7.0.1: Correction to the MAINCFG lump.

Version 7.1: Minor bugfixes, improvements, and optimization of ECZ2, SNZ1, and GCZ1.

Version 8.0: Significant improvement of ECZ, DDZ, and SNZ, moderate improvement of GCZ and LGZ, and small adjustments to SAZ, FSZ, and SWZ.

Version 8.1: FSZ2 was previously riddled with bugs. Well, not anymore!

Version 8.1.1: Hasty tweak of DDZ2.

Version 8.2: A bunch of bugfixes and optimization.

Version 8.3: Improvement to FSZ2, slight changes to ECZ1, and some assorted bugfixes.

Version 8.4: More bugfixes for FSZ2.

Version 9.0: The mother of all improvements, and probably the last one I'll do, unless I decide to create a 2.1-compatible version when the time comes. Every level has undergone tremendous changes, including scenery updates, gimmick updates, and hundreds upon hundreds of glitches fixed.

Also, Spacewalk Zone is now 100% optional. Those few players who still want to brave this monument to wasted effort can still do so, and the remaining 99.9% can simply jump on the SKIP pad at the very start of the level to take them straight to AAZ.

Finally, of course, there's Charybdizs's music. You'll have to download a separate file, but it's definitely worth it...particularly since the levels are silent without it!

The Story:

After Sonic and company beat Dr. Eggman in Final Fight Zone, the evil scientist fled to another planet, taking the few functional robots he had left with him. Sonic and his friends felt they needed a good, long vacation, and went to Sunshine Atoll Zone for a few months of sun and surf.

But a few weeks into their vacation, EGGMAN ATTACKED AGAIN!

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles managed to escape to the other side of the island unharmed, but they were seriously confused. How had Eggman managed to return so quickly?

After spying on some robots, Sonic discovered the answer: the planet Eggman had fled to was rich in natural resources--and was home to a peaceable but strong alien race which Eggman had enslaved to reconstruct his evil schemes.

Well, the three of them had to do something. This alien planet desperately needed their help--and what was more, now that Dr. Eggman was powerful again, he was also taking over Mobius! Will Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles EVER get to finish their vacation?

Downloads:

MUSIC MIRROR:
http://miburl.com/i12LBS

Attachments

• saz.jpg
    saz.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 9,004
  • ecz.jpg
    ecz.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 8,634
  • ddz.jpg
    ddz.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8,124
  • snz.jpg
    snz.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 8,694
  • gcz.jpg
    gcz.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 9,036
  • fsz.jpg
    fsz.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5,809
  • lgz.jpg
    lgz.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5,444
  • sz.jpg
    sz.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8,220
  • aaz.jpg
    aaz.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 7,959
  • scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.rar
    15 MB · Views: 9,443
  • TP_Music.part1.rar
    23.8 MB · Views: 7,101
  • TP_Music.part2.rar
    15.7 MB · Views: 6,733
Last edited:
I could now abuse the rating glitch to give this a permanent rating of my choice, and nobody could change it anymore. I refuse though.

EDIT: Favourite'd anyway. I already gave my review.

Here's a bit of a special progress report on the final version!

There are two notable things I'm doing right now. First of all, I'm hard at work on Spacewalk Zone. I'm nearly halfway done designing Act 1. All I'll say about it is that this zone is going to have a few general gimmicks you've seen before, and a few complex gimmicks you've never seen before. I'm planning for this and Alien Armageddon Zone to be the longest zones in the mod.

Second of all, I've been giving Sunshine Atoll Zone a pretty sweeping overhaul. Expect the new version of SAZ to look very familiar...with a few major differences. Now, it's still far from perfect, and probably still one of the worst levels in SRB2TP, because most of what I've done simply exchanges one general design mistake for a different one. However, I think that this alternate design flaw will be a lot easier to fix in later versions. Also, I'm pretty sure you'll find SAZ2 at least slightly less confusing to navigate.

To those of you who are calling for me to just scrap that zone entirely and start fresh: I haven't entirely ruled out that possibility, but first, I'm going to do all I can to see if I can save the current design from the crushing, icy grip of crappiness.

Sure, try all you can to fix it without redoing it. As long if you fix all the issues that are apparent, this doesn't matter. Just beware that it might not be enough in the end.

Also, if Spacewalk Zone and Alien Armageddon Zone will be even longer than the zones you currently have, this will be a blast.

Fume Shaft Zone's 1 and 2 needs to be fixed, because at some areas framerate issues happen which can lead to cheap deaths. Here's some of the spots from each Zone.

Fume shaft Zone 1
icpjrc.png

Fans + Lag = Death, it's annoying to control yourself while dealing with the Framerate in this area. Try removing some of the Fan sprites in the slime, because I think that what is was causing it to happen.

Fume Shaft Zone 2
9va04y.jpg

This room where only Sonic and Knux can only enter has Framerate issues, as at a certain part, I turn to the left and then the lag happens.

2hftona.png

Higher up, the lag worsens, badly... making this area unplayable and near impossible to pass, as I have to fight with the controls and just hope that I don't die by the Slime of Death.
-----
Even if you don't get Framerate issues, some players can.

Last edited:
I have to agree, the frame rate issues in Fume Shaft could really use fixing.

And, well... To be honest, Fume Shaft gets tiring. I got a lot of fun out of this level pack, but Fume Shaft is easily a low point. It's laggy, repetitive and contains one very awkward room.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8792/ffshaft.png

That room was far to difficult, either the acid there needs to be changed to the purple slime, or give the player a larger safe area to stand on. The tiny edges of the platforms hanging over a death pit, is just to difficult. It might be justifiable in Space Walk or Alien Armageddon, but here it's a bit extreme.

@Whackjood's Post...

If that doesn't give you enough time to inch yourself over to the edge to avoid the falling Slime of Death, then I think that it should be made easier... I could tell just by looking at the image.

I didn't get to that part though, because I ether lose all my lives trying to pass the Framerate Issue Areas, or maybe because I got tried of dying in the Framerate Issues and just skipped the level.

Oh ya... more of those further after that area, joy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. Fume Shaft Zone isn't my best work. I'm going to go back later and solve those problems, but for now I'm just working on getting the basic version all the levels done.

In Drowned Downtown Zone Act 1, there's a spot in the water slide part where you get stuck and can't move, forcing you to drown.

srb20000.png

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Eggman in SAZ whizzes about like mad when you hit him. It's worth mentioning, I figured.

I can't explain why he behaves any differently than he does in GFZ3, because it's the same boss and the same settings. My only theory is that it has to do with the difference in the level structure.
In Drowned Downtown Zone Act 1, there's a spot in the water slide part where you get stuck and can't move, forcing you to drown.
I just took care of that. The next version will not have this problem.

Last edited:
Excellent. Finally we have a lengthy level pack to mess with.

Favorite'd and gave 4 stars. Glad my controllable conveyor belt was useful in same level I loved.

A very good level pack here too. I'm really looking forward for this to be complete. However Fume Shaft Zone had some extremely hard areas (the raising green stuff room). Other than that very good music and level gimmicks. 8/10

There are two reasons why SRB2TP will never be Coop compatible. One, I hate Coop, so this is my way of protesting the disproportionately high number of Coop servers online. Two, even if I wanted to make it Coop compatible, there are many levels where, if it was being played in multiplayer, hazards triggered by the first player would make it impossible for other players to proceed.

However, this will eventually be multiplayer compatible. I am planning for future versions to include a set of Match mode levels, each based on the nine full acts in Single Player. But you'll have to wait for those...they won't be in Version 1.0.

You could always disable those hazards that make that part of the level unplayable in coop, like in SRB1 Remake where the metal sonic chase only works in Single player mode. You can make linedef executors that have the No Sonic, No Knuckles, No tails flags which makes them only execute in coop mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back