SRB2 on Nintendo 3DS is Nuts (And Very Laggy)

ReadyDude

Hey! It turns out that right before the release of 2.2, a port of SRB2 2.1.20 was made for the New Nintendo 3DS by derrekr, even including working 3D! Since there was barely any footage of this port on the internet (in fact, I could only find one Spanish video on it), I decided to make a video on it myself! Or, more like videos. Turns out that the 3DS doesn't handle the game very well, and the lag was so bad that I needed to split my playthrough into multiple sittings.

Here is part 1 of my playthrough. Part 2 has been recorded, but not edited. It was originally only going to be 2 parts, but Egg Rock Zone seems to be pretty unstable and randomly crashes, and while I've gotten incredibly far into Act 2 and know it's possible, I had to call it quits for the recording after 4 hours from Arid Canyon to Egg Rock. I will probably make a part 3 though!

Here is a link to download the port itself (Only for New Nintendo 3DS)

Hello fellow 3DS owner, I also played this port however by creating a autoexec file I was able to load in the SUGOI wad,
So while I did not play vanilla SRB2 2.1 I did play through SUGOI on 3DS, Most of the stages played well... until the final few stages,
Orbital Complex Zone ranned REALLY slow and The Grand Finale kept crashing for some reason,
I think turning off the sound effects worked since the boss did not crash.
Garanz Site 16 crashed if the camera was facing the floor during the fall but can be beated.
20240229_192912.jpg

this picture is from the true ending I snapped 2 months ago.

Last edited:
Hello fellow 3DS owner, I also played this port however by creating a autoexec file I was able to load in the SUGOI wad,
So while I did not play vanilla SRB2 2.1 I did play through SUGOI on 3DS, Most of the stages played well... until the final few stages,
Orbital Complex Zone ranned REALLY slow and The Grand Finale kept crashing for some reason,
I think turning off the sound effects worked since the boss did not crash.
Garanz Site 16 crashed if the camera was facing the floor during the fall but can be beated. View attachment 117034
this picture is from the true ending I snapped 2 months ago.
the 3DS really had the power of a phone from 2011, the New 3DS I approximate it's probably an equivalent of a phone from like 2013 at best so the fact it can even run that is very impressive!

Update everyone: Part 2 of my playthrough has been completed! In this video, I played from Arid Canyon to Egg Rock, as well as getting the last Chaos Emerald. While I originally planned to complete the game in Part 2, the crash-fest that was Egg Rock Act 2 has required me to make a Part 3 instead.

Hopefully Part 3 will be the finale, when I actually get around to recording it. Hopefully I do end up beating it, I would like to say I was the first person to ever beat the 3DS port of SRB2 since no one else on the internet has claimed that. That's if I actually do manage to complete it, though.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back