My current thoughts on Dr Robotniks Ring Racers and some criticism's I have

Ehucio

I enjoy this game for the reasons that people dislike it,
I enjoy the visual diamond shart it really does look like a 3d genesis game in both good and bad ways (to me the idol master track looks very pretty you should see their take on emerald coast its gorgeous!) but the carnival park zone makes my eyes hurt.
I appreciate some of their mechanics the chaotix tether is a fun way of maintaining a position like 3or2nd and it helps you gain speed very quickly.
I appreciate sonic team juniors pretentious attempts to add fucking platformer shit to an arcade kart racer some of the platforming i enjoy most i don't theres just enough for me to have some semblance of fun.
Minus the elephant part of balloon park zone it seems kindaaaaaa fun to me.
The trick system looks genuinely broken and fucking horrendous to me from my experience playing it so far if your gonna have a trick system do it like mario kart don't make it a nesscary part of the platforming when you've already got the spring's to do that for you already.
I can understand the need for the hour long hub world/tutorial segment its very nice to look at and a microscopic bit of fun but mostly annoying.
Those gates on all the tracks of the game baffle me the speed requirement is too high and it basically just splices the game and the few times you can make it the track is over in 1 minute.
I definitely agree with kart krews taste in music chip tune idol music sonic remixes its very nice doesn't mean that it fits a sonic game.
With all this being said it seems like I'm sticking to 2.0 exclusively do to sonic team junior seemingly not understanding their own vision with this game and making the mechanics which were already complicated and filtering even worse and somehow more complicated in their execution.

• Diamond.... shart? :worry:
  • I know this is copypasted (probably almost unedited) from your comment on the Sandwichface video but the random dig at Sonic Team Jr (wrong team btw) is kind of odd
  • The speed requirement for the gates is literally just any item other than rings that can move you forward or give you some form of invincibility (Sneakers, Bubble/Fire shields, Spinning Top, Grow, Invinc, I thiiiink Hyudoro if your item is stolen?) granted I don't know why the tutorial teaches you that you can pass them without powerups since I don't think there's an instance I can recall where this can be applied to actual races.
  • I'm confused by your comment that is simultaneously agreeing with and criticizing Kart Krew's music choices for this game
  • You're speaking about sticking with "2.0" which makes zero sense because A. if you mean vanilla SRB2 (which is wrong) then you're playing a version that released over a decade ago, or B. if you mean Kart Krew, then you are still playing Ring Racers which is considered version 2.0

As far as copying and pasting from sandwich face it's cuz I spent like 50 minutes so fuck it.
The intent ain't spam on my part.
In regards to speed gates that was not something I'm aware due to how rare it is to get the sneakers and fire shield,
though I will say the fire shield really can just bounce you across the track which is a criticism of mine slow the fire shield down just a tiny bit in the next update I'm running into every damn spike in milliseconds just a little slower would still bounce players whilst still allowing us to see the track ahead of us.
though I'll acknowledge that's also somewhat of a skill issue.
I'll also say that the splicing was a frequent glitch on my part which was fixed by reinstalling the latest version which I'm having a lot of fun on.
For the music that was some very bad articulation on my part I meant that since srb2 has all original music and yet this game which I'm pretty sure took years to make has nothing but copyrighted music seems a lazy on their part.
It's also praise because I genuinely enjoy their music taste Tokyo active neets and umegaki hell fucking yeah man, but at the same time outside of the sonic remixes and used already made sonic songs such as take me back in time for regal ruins it doesn't fit.
Im not sticking to 2.0 I don't fully know why I typed that in myself.
I still believe the truck system is pointless when you have all these slopes and speed gates and springs it slows things down to a crawl for a split second it doesn't propel you in the air and it doesn't give you a speed boost like Mario kart I genuinely don't understand it.
It seems like I've underestimated the chaotic tether it doesn't give me speed really it doesn't seem to rubber band me like the games so how do I properly use this?
Post automatically merged:

Also yes diamond shart some levels like emerald Coast look very nice whilst like I said levels like carnival zone are visual diamond shart.

Another thing I'll say is the position portion of each race isn't really all that fun given the games very bouncy physics and smash bros level of knockback the appeal of players just ramming into each other and stealing each other's rings just isn't there you're literally just standing for an unnecessary amount of time

I've actually been seriously enjoying the game so far I made this thread in part because I'm just now experiencing the game and experiencing the criticism's people have so far first hand albeit most of their problems come from online exaggerating these design flaws in the first place.
However yes I do agree y'all treat sandwich face unfairly I really do let him back in man.
If y'all can respond to me without banning me then have the same toughness of skin when critiques y'all for the removal of thok being planned in future updates.
Or should I just disregard a small part of his censorship claims cuz that can be just as true since most of his censorship complaints come from the discord

I'm taking my dig at kart krew/sonic team Jr about them not understanding their own game that was the result of unchecked ego validated by YouTube versus real experience with the game

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_004202583_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240515_004202583_HDR.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I'm taking my dig at kart krew/sonic team Jr about them not understanding their own game that was the result of unchecked ego validated by YouTube versus real experience with the game
STJr. has no direct involvement with DRRR.

However yes I do agree y'all treat sandwich face unfairly I really do let him back in man.
If y'all can respond to me without banning me then have the same toughness of skin when critiques y'all for the removal of thok being planned in future updates.
Or should I just disregard a small part of his censorship claims cuz that can be just as true since most of his censorship complaints come from the discord

...what? Imma be frank here, Sandwichface isn't being censored. You know how I know that? He uploaded a terribly thought out video to YouTube, again. We can't really stop that nor need/wish to. :P

The guy got banned shortly after being disrespectfully cringe in the Glaber 's ban thread and I'd recommend giving it a look if you haven't yet. It's pretty illuminating.

Unchecked ego? Kart Krew Dev made a video game they wanted to make and they're happy they made it. You're not talking about a big studio like Ubisoft. You're talking about a handful of cool friends building art on their spare time.

I would recommend organizing your thoughts a bit better because there's a lot of obviously odd criticisms throughout your post that don't make a whole lot of sense? For instance:

• While a majority of the soundtrack is from other games, a chunk of it are original compositions for Ring Racers itself. It's not necessarily feasible to even write so much original music when you have like 200 maps that would each need an original song in that case.
  • There are more speed boosting items than Sneakers and the Fire Shield. In fact Roly Poly Pal listed all of them.
  • "Back In Time" quite literally plays in the Sonic R level Regal Ruin. The course RR's version is based on.
  • Tricks do give a slight boost in speed when you land, the real boon is the electric charge you gain that boosts your drift spark rate and even boosts you even further using a level 3 or 4 drift boost.
  • Also tricks do boost you through the air if you time it right.
  • I don't think anybody knows what "Diamond Shart" means.
Honestly I'd recommend coming back to this discussion sometime later once you've had a maybe a week or so more of the game under your belt. Criticism is welcome as long as it can stay constructive.

Last edited:
Saying shit like that is incredibly disrespectful. The Devs know exactly what they want. From reading this I am getting the message that you believe that what you think SRB2/Kart/RR should be is indeed what the team intended to make. No, believe it or not both Dev teams have their own vision for their respective projects, and they'll do what they want cause they're teh ones actually working on the game lmao. If you don't like it then fork your own version and learn C. Don't wanna do that? Find other devs who share your vision. Welcome to Open Source software, if you don't like it then do it yourself.

Also unchecked ego? The devs in this community are some of the most herd-working and creative people I know. They make great free fan-games with original music and incredible sprites and map design, and just because you don't like it you think they have an ego? Sounds like you're projecting to me.

The trick system looks genuinely broken and fucking horrendous to me from my experience playing it so far if your gonna have a trick system do it like mario kart don't make it a nesscary part of the platforming when you've already got the spring's to do that for you already.
This is not Mario Kart, Ring Racers is a technical Kart racer. The tricks are meant to be an original implementation of this concept, and imo it's a lot more engaging than pressing drift or brake in the air during every single jump.
Also you're complaining about a feature that gives players more control over their movement, not sure why you thing Ring Racers should have more automated sequences. I personally like to participate in engaging game play.

I can understand the need for the hour long hub world/tutorial segment its very nice to look at and a microscopic bit of fun but mostly annoying.
I thought the dialogue between Tails and Eggman is charming, and it made the experience so much more enjoyable that it would have been without it. The tutorial itself is also very well designed in terms of visuals and game play, so I don't know why you saw it as annoying.

For the music that was some very bad articulation on my part I meant that since srb2 has all original music and yet this game which I'm pretty sure took years to make has nothing but copyrighted music seems a lazy on their part.
FREE GAME! 0 DOLLARS!!! AND YOU WANT A 100% ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK FOR A GAME THAT HAS 200+ TRACKS!?!?!?
Ngl that's really petty and unreasonable. Not even SRB2 has as much vanilla content as Ring Racers, so please try to be reasonable and aware of the game's context before making critiques like this.

I still believe the truck system is pointless when you have all these slopes and speed gates and springs it slows things down to a crawl for a split second it doesn't propel you in the air and it doesn't give you a speed boost like Mario kart I genuinely don't understand it.
Not only do trick charges give you a faster rate of drift charging, but if you fast fall with it then you gain a big burst of speed for free.
Also tricks can give you great speed if you actually time it when the trick slices are aligned when you do it,especially now that you can adjust your direction before initiating a trick.

I've actually been seriously enjoying the game so far I made this thread in part because I'm just now experiencing the game and experiencing the criticism's people have so far first hand albeit most of their problems come from online exaggerating these design flaws in the first place.
I'm glad that with time you've started to enjoy Ring Racers. The game is incredibly unique and I've had so much fun with it!

As for SandwichFace, he was not treated unfairly at all. He continually harassed SRB2 Staff and would not engage in civil conversation with said staff when given ample opportunity to do so.
He has a habit of putting other creators down if their addon don't meet his perception of what a quality addon should be, and he's obsessed with going against Charyb specifically despite them doing their best to understand him and make the community better for everyone.
he doesn't acre about the game, he just hates us. The devs would rather surround themselves with respectful and fun people.

He was banned from this community for a very good reason, and he should just go to the WS if he hates our community so much. Isn't that why that website exists?

No one was banned for critiques, and anyone who says otherwise is not being truthful or has deluded themselves into thinking that the devs genuinely can't handle actual criticism. They can, and they've always improved their games whenever they can.
After everything that happened, I will not tolerate any slander towards STJR or KK.

Also don't worry, so long as you just give genuine an dpolite critiques then you'll be fine. For Ring Racers in particular, a lot of players have done this and their concerns were addressed in RR updates. Please don't fall for the "STJR/KK devs hate criticism" meme, ok? :P

Well I've got a good explanation on the trick system but I still don't quite understand the chaotix style tether system y'all got goin on in the game. I think you're meant to use rings to boost along with the tether but that hasn't happened consistently enough yet for me to say, seriously the tether is the most esoteric part of this game for me personally how does it work?
Also I meant Im taking back what I said about kart krew/sonic team junior

You should. He had unfettered access to the forums until a few days ago when absolutely no censorship was placed on him on what he could say about the game, dev or staff.

This is his latest activity.

Well I've got a good explanation on the trick system but I still don't quite understand the chaotix style tether system y'all got goin on in the game. I think you're meant to use rings to boost along with the tether but that hasn't happened consistently enough yet for me to say, seriously the tether is the most esoteric part of this game for me personally how does it work?
Also I meant Im taking back what I said about kart krew/sonic team junior
The tether system is a form of slipstreaming that varies depending on a character sprites it can charge up faster/slow, be long or short range, or give a boost ranging from moderate to absurd in the case of metal sonic/bottom right stats in general. I don't think it's wrong to not understand eat it's doing and I think it's a legitimate complaint alongside other unexplained aspects in the game presently.

Actually chase sp Im finally starting to get it your right playing online I got a taste of that slipstream I fucking love this game man.
Been awhile since a game made me feel anger or any kind of feeling I also take back the level of exaggerating with the diamond shart remark a lot of levels look nice

I swear one of these days I'll get first place in an online race

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back