• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SonicHeroX45's Development Thread

Palace of NiGHTS is complete! It took a lot longer than I thought it would to polish up, so The NiGHTMARE couldn't be completed tonight. There's still about 2 Weeks until Halloween, so I'm not to worried about the estimated time of completion. Here's a picture of it!
srb20005.png
Post automatically merged:

Never actually did one of those level bios for MAP03: Palace of NiGHTS. Since I also just finished MAP04: The NiGHTMARE, might as well do them both.

MAP03: Palace of NiGHTS (image above, NiGHTS Style)
The third stage in the Halloween '23 Demo. Fly around a ethereal palace in the sky while rescuing the Ideya from their Captures! How did this place come to be? Is it even real? The "residents" of this place might know, but you can't exactly talk to them... There is an Emerald around the Central Tower, just waiting to be grabbed. I'd be genuinely surprised if you manage to miss THIS one lol.

Trivia: The stage name here is a sort of pun since you know, "NiGHTS" and "NiGHTS Mode". Heh. It actually sounded a lot better in my head, please laugh.

MAP04: The NiGHTMARE (NiGHTS Style)
The first boss in the Halloween '23 Demo. The enemy ambushes you at the top of the Central Tower! It seems that it was sent high above the palace by a mysterious force. You feel you can hear a ringing similar to that of an alarm off in the distance during the heat of the battle... No matter, use the power of NiGHTS to take them down!

Trivia: "The NiGHTMARE" is probably the most literal you can get for a stage name. This is because Bosses in NiGHTS are referred to as "Nightmares". Having trouble? Paraloop the Egg Capsule floating above the arena to get a Drill Refill!

srb20006.png

Well, the Holiday Heroes Halloween '23 Demo is halfway complete! You know what that means, don't you? Beta test time! I'm going right into working on the second half, and I've done some through testing on my end. I'd appreciate if you could go through the first half and see if everything is in working order. Remember what I said earlier though: This is JUST the levels for the 1st Half. No Unlockables or Extras yet!

Attachments

• SP_HolidayHeroesWEEN23.wad
    10 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hey there! Something mildly related to development. I recently got a recording software for some College stuff, but it works for other things really well. Would y'all like it if I started streaming development sessions? You would be able to watch me work on the mod and provide live feedback!

Hey there! Something mildly related to development. I recently got a recording software for some College stuff, but it works for other things really well. Would y'all like it if I started streaming development sessions? You would be able to watch me work on the mod and provide live feedback!
Sounds awesome!

Well, well, well. Less than a week before Halloween. It's gonna be close, but I should be able to release the demo on time! Remember what I said a while back though: please be patient in case I'm unable to. Things are looking really promising right now, but who knows if something comes up last minute. Can't wait to share more news whenever I can!

Suddenly, Developer's block. Yeah, nobody saw that coming. I might as well lift the holiday deadlines, so I can go back and refine everything before releases. Also, release plans (these can and most likely will change). v2.0 will be the first release of the new Holiday Heroes, I'll dump the old v1.0 on Gamebanana or somewhere else so it doesn't go to waste. v2.0 will contain the revamped Halloween Episode, and maybe a rotation of Halloween themed multiplayer (Circuit, Ringslinger, and CTF) maps as well. Hopefully this slump disappears soon. Talk again later.

I'm considering submitting a level or two from the most recent demo build to the OLDC. They might be the stages "Palace of NiGHTS" and "The NiGHTMARE" (a slightly altered version that isn't in said most recent build) purely because NiGHTS is cool and hasn't appeared in ANY OLDC to my knowledge.

Ever heard of "The Year of NiGHTS"? it was the year that at least one nights stage was submitted to each oldc.

Still, you probably could submitt the stages as we haven't had one in a while

Happy Halloween! The demo wasn't able to be done in time, please be patient. However, 2 Stages from the 2023 Halloween Demo of Holiday Heroes have been submitted for Round 2 of the 2023 OLDC! Be on the lookout for them!

Got something to tell you guys. Part 2 of the Halloween Episode is gonna take a while, to no surprise. I plan on polishing Part 1 and making THAT the Halloween Release instead. I'll put a few extra things in there too!

On another topic, I learned that I'm quite good at making NiGHTS maps, so expect a little something NiGHTS related later on... :)

Come to think of it, I don't want to half-ass this release, so disregard what I literally just said. That NiGHTS thing IS coming though.

I hope all of this will be worth the wait for y'all.

Last edited:
About that NiGHTS thing, should I make a seperate thread for it? I'm probably gonna end up either merging the NiGHTS thing with Holiday Heroes or keep it it's own thing.

Hey look, another build! This one may as well be a full release, but I'll see what the Message Board Staff has to say!
-All current levels have become the "new" Halloween '23 Episode: Palace in the Sky!
-Updated Palace of NiGHTS and The NiGHTMARE to their OLDC Versions!
-14 Emblems to collect!
-Level Select Icons!
-Cutscenes!
-A whole lot of bug fixes and minor tweaks!
Have fun, and Happy Late Halloween!

I'm going to bed lol, literally all of that was done this evening.

Come to think of it, the OLDC stages are considered unreleased. I'll just leave the build here then without trying to submit it. Also, the Old Version of Holiday Heroes (Formerly known as v1.0) is on Gamebanana now!

Community Choice time! What kind of content do you want to see in the next build? Other than the stuff I'm already doing.

Attachments

• SP_HolidayHeroesWEEN23.pk3
    10.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well, time to talk about the next build! This next build is set to release around Thanksgiving, and is entirely multiplayer focused! "Thankful for Friends" is the name of the new rotation, and it's going to be in Match Mode!

Let's talk about the kinds of maps you will be seeing here (and in future rotations too)! "Ringslinger Coop" maps are as the name suggests: Campaign maps altered and reworked for Match! Most of these will be from the DOOM Style levels, but there will be some from Sonic Style and NiGHTS Style too! "Ringslinger Lite" maps are smaller with less spawns and items, intended for much smaller servers and faster paced matches! "Ringslinger" maps are your standard, full size maps. All spawns and items are available here, so lock and load!

Last, but CERTAINLY not least, are "Dream Battles"! Yeah, remember when I talked about those way back when? They're actually a thing now! Take to the skies in NiGHTS Mode and show your rivals who's the best! Damage is dealt through Paraloops and Drill Dashes, wail on your opponents until their timers are depleted!

SUPER EXCITED about this particular build, I may go back and adjust some stuff in the Palace in the Sky episode too!

Stay tuned!

Quick Update: The Thanksgiving '23 Demo will keep the same Gamedata as the Halloween '23 Demo, since there is no new story content!

👀
srb20034.png

srb20027.png

Last edited:
srb20026.png

srb20035.png

WOW! That's all the maps! I'm assuming you guys know what that means, right? That's right. Time to polish the build and drop it! See ya soon!

Here it is! FUN FACT: Thanksgiving as we know it doesn't actually have a particular day set aside to celebrate it, as the dates go all over the place through regions! It has been celebrated anytime between or including the beginning of October to the end of November! So technically, today could actually be Thanksgiving for some people! The more ya know. :)

Anyways, here's what's new:
- 4 New Match Stages: One Coop (Crosssection), one Lite (Seaside Scuffle), one Normal (Faraway Avalon), and one Dream (Dreamscape)!
- 2 New Score Emblems for MAP01: Crosssection and MAP02: Spooky Skies respectively!
- New Emblem Tracking System! This new system is gonna make it easier for me to add and remove emblems with little to no hassle. The one downside is... there has to be a new Gamedata, which may be an inconvenience to you completionists out there.
- Tweaks and bug fixes! (obligatory in these modern changelogs)

The releases are only gonna get larger, so I've moved back to Google Drive links. Hope that isn't too much of an issue!

Hey there! I think you all know what the next build is, and if you don't... HOW? It's Christmas! Gonna do something a bit different for this one: Christmas AND New Year's content! The plans include:
- A Christmas-themed Campaign episode: "The Tree of Light"!
- A New Year's-themed Race/Circuit rotation: "New Year's Racing"!
- The first of four planned NiGHTS episodes: "Winter NiGHTS"!
So yeah, add new emblems, secrets, and extras, and it's gonna be a REALLY BIG RELEASE. Talk more soon!

Also, COMMUNITY CHOICE time! I'm all set to begin work on the next Beta, so... which content beta would you like to see first?

Thanksgiving '23 Demo Hotfix:
- Fixed an Axis Transfer error on Mare 3 in Palace of NiGHTS.
- Doubled NiGHTSLinkTicks (2 Seconds to 4 Seconds) for easier Highscores and better ranks in NiGHTS Stages.

Time to get to work on the next beta! I think it will be Winter NiGHTS! It's pretty much Winter over here already anyways.

Last edited:
View attachment 104459

View attachment 104462

WOW! That's all the maps! I'm assuming you guys know what that means, right? That's right. Time to polish the build and drop it! See ya soon!

Here it is! FUN FACT: Thanksgiving as we know it doesn't actually have a particular day set aside to celebrate it, as the dates go all over the place through regions! It has been celebrated anytime between or including the beginning of October to the end of November! So technically, today could actually be Thanksgiving for some people! The more ya know. :)

Anyways, here's what's new:
- 4 New Match Stages: One Coop (Crosssection), one Lite (Seaside Scuffle), one Normal (Faraway Avalon), and one Dream (Dreamscape)!
- 2 New Score Emblems for MAP01: Crosssection and MAP02: Spooky Skies respectively!
- New Emblem Tracking System! This new system is gonna make it easier for me to add and remove emblems with little to no hassle. The one downside is... there has to be a new Gamedata, which may be an inconvenience to you completionists out there.
- Tweaks and bug fixes! (obligatory in these modern changelogs)

The releases are only gonna get larger, so I've moved back to Google Drive links. Hope that isn't too much of an issue!

Hey there! I think you all know what the next build is, and if you don't... HOW? It's Christmas! Gonna do something a bit different for this one: Christmas AND New Year's content! The plans include:
- A Christmas-themed Campaign episode: "The Tree of Light"!
- A New Year's-themed Race/Circuit rotation: "New Year's Racing"!
- The first of four planned NiGHTS episodes: "Winter NiGHTS"!
So yeah, add new emblems, secrets, and extras, and it's gonna be a REALLY BIG RELEASE. Talk more soon!

Also, COMMUNITY CHOICE time! I'm all set to begin work on the next Beta, so... which content beta would you like to see first?

Thanksgiving '23 Demo Hotfix:
- Fixed an Axis Transfer error on Mare 3 in Palace of NiGHTS.
- Doubled NiGHTSLinkTicks (2 Seconds to 4 Seconds) for easier Highscores and better ranks in NiGHTS Stages.

Time to get to work on the next beta! I think it will be Winter NiGHTS! It's pretty much Winter over here already anyways.

I love the progress done here. Keep up the good work, man, and im sure that this will go far.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm spending the week with my family, so no new builds. Finals for 1st Semester (I'm in college, don't forget) are both next week and the week after too! So the next build may very well be the Christmas 2023 Release! Talk to y'all later, whenever that may be.

I never said anything about Sneak Peeks though. :)

Also, finals are going really well. Only 2 remain!

MAP05: The Hub Zone.
As the name implies, this is the hub. Select the episode you want to play here! Those wireframe "buttons" are the episode warps. The platforms with the Eggman Statues are placeholders for future content, more or less. I plan on updating the look and music of the hub based on the season, hopefully I can "automate" it later on down the line!

Trivia: In the "lore", if you want to call it that, this place was constructed by Eggman so Sonic and friends could hang out together! Has he really turned over a new leaf? You're gonna have to play through Holiday Heroes to find out!
srb20042.png

Last edited:
Next week is the last week of the first semester, and that means finals. I'm going to divert development time to studying, grades are important after all. I'll leave y'all with this: the Winter music for The Hub Zone, Magical Snow Day from Sonic Runners (2015)! Though all the Hub themes are from Runners, lol.

Winter Break has begun! I'm moving out of the dorms tomorrow, and probably won't get settled for a while. I have plans for a "special thing" of sorts to build up to the Xmas Release of Holiday Heroes, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to follow through. You'll know if I do though. Regardless, a little more than 2 weeks until Christmas!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back