Game keeps crashing when adding like maybe 15 addons?

Weirdzo

WEIRDZOTASTIC!!!!!!!
I'll add the same addons (maybe in a different order), and about <70% of the time, it'll ALWAYS crash after about maybe 15 characters?
When I join servers, it had no problem adding up to near 70 addons in about 20 seconds. IS there a way to mitigate this? Maybe stop it? It's gotten on my last nerve.

I'll add the same addons (maybe in a different order), and about <70% of the time, it'll ALWAYS crash after about maybe 15 characters?
When I join servers, it had no problem adding up to near 70 addons in about 20 seconds. IS there a way to mitigate this? Maybe stop it? It's gotten on my last nerve.
15 characters is a ton of characters, and 70 addons is absolutely insane. You really shouldn't load more than 30 addons at one time, especially in singleplayer. The game used to have a hard addon limit of 48 because it would become more and more unstable after that. The addon limit was removed so you could go beyond it if you wanted to, but you do so at your own risk. This isn't Minecraft, 70 addons is really insane.

The problem is the game has a limited amount of freeslots it can give to addons. Bigger addons (especially characters) will use more freeslots, meaning the solution here is probably to load fewer addons. What specific crash are you getting?

Last edited:
15 characters is a ton of characters, and 70 addons is absolutely insane. You really shouldn't load more than 30 addons at one time, especially in singleplayer. The game used to have a hard addon limit of 48 because it would become more and more unstable after that. The addon limit was removed so you could go beyond it if you wanted to, but you do so at your own risk. This isn't Minecraft, 70 addons is really insane.

The problem is the game has a limited amount of freeslots it can give to addons. Bigger addons (especially characters) will use more freeslots, meaning the solution here is probably to load fewer addons. What specific crash are you gettinthe
when i say 70, its really only for certain multiplayer servers. At max, the files go up to about 45, but what confuses me is how it can load all of those up just fine while it gets stumped and crashes at less than half that when i load mods myselfd
also, i get 15 being a lot, i just have a lotta save files, and whenever i see one that says "can't load" something about it just irks me. i get im kinda peticular its just yknow,,,,,
and i'll sometimes play a randomizer, where I like to have as many characters as possible
(and also silverhorn spoilers and a tad unrelated butttt
i was trying to see all the dialogue in mindscape for various characters and it crashed a few times)

but what confuses me is how it can load all of those up just fine while it gets stumped and crashes at less than half that when i load mods myselfd
Well, I might be able to help narrow it down if you would answer my question. :P

"ERROR parsing SPRTINFO lump: Unknown skin "insert character here"
Yeah, this is caused by loading too many characters, especially big ones. Bigger ones will exhaust the game faster than smaller ones. The game actually never got rid of the hard limit for character addons, that being 26, but you'll only hit that if you exclusively load small characters. Loading other addons alongside the characters will also contribute to exhausting the game.

I would simply recommend cutting back on character addons and using a custom gamedata file for when you want to save with them to avoid seeing "Can't Load!" all the time.

you can use Tsourdt3, an custom build of srb2, no addon limit

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back