Fix aPNGs in OpenGL

Avalice

2.0 Defense Force
aPNG recording is extremely buggy in OpenGL.
Here is an aPNG recorded on a brand new installation of srb2 with a completely default config.cfg, the only things being changed is it is in OpenGL and is set to record aPNGs:
srb20000.png

Yeah. Its bad. On my config.cfg it inverts the colors too. What is odd is that aPNGs record perfectly fine in software mode, heres an example:
srb20001.png

On my settings it looks like this:
srb20005.png

Since aPNGs are the only way to record OpenGL without pulling out something like OBS it would be really nice if this were fixed.

Attachments

• srb20004.png
    srb20004.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 90
I don't have issue with gif in OpenGL but yeah APNG are broken.
Would be better to just remove APNG support as there's a lack of support for it.

Last edited:
I don't have issue with gif in OpenGL but yeah APNG are broken.
Would be better to just remove APNG support as there's a lack of support for it.
It's the only way for OpenGL recordings without an external screenrecorder. aPNGs are also much better quality.

I used OpenGL and they recorded just fine.
Perhaps the devs don't have broken gif on OpenGL either.

srb20159.gif

Don't look like it. You sure it's not the quality downgrade making you think that?
Do you have anything to back up your claim?

View attachment 93864
Don't look like it. You sure it's not the quality downgrade making you think that?
Do you have anything to back up your claim?
Its literally how the game works. Ask a dev.
sorry mb. Gifs are internally *drawn* as software but can include ogl models. Gifs still use software quality and are downscaled to 320x200, while aPNG can go all the way to 1920x1080.

I'm a bit late to this, but:
Since aPNGs are the only way to record OpenGL without pulling out something like OBS it would be really nice if this were fixed.
What's wrong with OBS?
I know it's possible that you might not be saying that there's anything wrong with it, but if it's the alternative that doesn't cause your colors to literally invert themselves I feel like that would be better.

I'm a bit late to this, but:

What's wrong with OBS?
I know it's possible that you might not be saying that there's anything wrong with it, but if it's the alternative that doesn't cause your colors to literally invert themselves I feel like that would be better.
Because pulling out a full-blown piece recording software, setting it up to record SRB2, and then clicking record, is a lot more time consuming and less convenient than just pressing F9.

Because pulling out a full-blown piece recording software, setting it up to record SRB2, and then clicking record, is a lot more time consuming and less convenient than just pressing F9.
To each their own, I guess.
I can't argue with other's opinions.

...Seriously, I can't, or else that would make me out to be a jerk.

To each their own, I guess.
I can't argue with other's opinions.

...Seriously, I can't, or else that would make me out to be a jerk.
What's objective is that you might miss out on recording some key moments in the time it takes to set OBS to record.

Its literally how the game works. Ask a dev.
sorry mb. Gifs are internally *drawn* as software but can include ogl models. Gifs still use software quality and are downscaled to 320x200, while aPNG can go all the way to 1920x1080.
GIF as a format suppots only 256 colors with no transparency pixels. DOOM (or IdTech1 engine itself) was originaly designed for VGA 320x200 mode with 256 colors. Software renderer in SRB2 supports higher resolutions but doesn't expand the color range. OpenGL uses 16-bit (or probably even 32-bit) color and that's one of the reasons why OpenGL renderer looks better. There is completely no point for "Second window that records GIFs in Soft Render" to exist because it's just GIF limited to 8-bit color. The downscale to 320x200 is probably made to save file size of the recorded file. Even if Devs wanted they can't make the color range of GIFs higher because it will be a completely different format.
And even if such second window exists (of course it doesn't) why everyone can't access this "Software with models" render mode you describe about?
EDIT: GIF downscaling is actually an option in the game and can be disabled

Last edited:
GIF as a format suppots only 256 colors with no transparency pixels. DOOM (or IdTech1 engine itself) was originaly designed for VGA 320x200 mode with 256 colors. Software renderer in SRB2 supports higher resolutions but doesn't expand the color range. OpenGL uses 16-bit (or probably even 32-bit) color and that's one of the reasons why OpenGL renderer looks better. There is completely no point for "Second window that records GIFs in Soft Render" to exist because it's just GIF limited to 8-bit color. The downscale to 320x200 is probably made to save file size of the recorded file. Even if Devs wanted they can't make the color range of GIFs higher because it will be a completely different format.
And even if such second window exists (of course it doesn't) why everyone can't access this "Software with models" render mode you describe about?
EDIT: GIF downscaling is actually an option in the game and can be disabled
maybe i was wrong but that doesnt change the fact that aPNGs look much better than gifs but are currently broken as hell.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back