[Open Assets] Super Transform Button

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Sapheros

This is Sonic Mania's Super Transformation Button. By having all 7 Emeralds and jumping, you can press the spindash button to turn into your super form. This will allow you to have the option to turn Super or to use your jump ability.

MZp98SK.gif

Credits to TehRealSalt for the Super Monitor sprites.
Credits to DirkTheHusky for the Spin Button indicator.

Attachments

• SuperButton.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 2,384
Last edited:
Has it really took this long for this to be implemented?!
When I practised Emerald collection in match, it was so annoying I had to die before getting the Emeralds so I can turn Super. Thank you so much!

(and yes, this SOOOO needs to be in 2.2)

Small suggestion, but how about a way to cancel out of your super form too? But it probably shouldn't be mapped to the spin button again though as Super Sonic can only fly by pressing and holding the spin button.

Small suggestion, but how about a way to cancel out of your super form too? But it probably shouldn't be mapped to the spin button again though as Super Sonic can only fly by pressing and holding the spin button.
Well, if we're trying to be consistent with Sonic Mania, being able to toggle Super on and off would be inconsistent; however, I also think it would be a bit unbalanced to be able to do this because turning super on its own is a one-time thought out decision. When you decide to turn super you're deciding where and when you want to become invincible. If you take this concept away, you're left with an ability to go invincible anytime you decide you need that power to get through a portion of a level, giving the play a bit too much power in my opinion.

Overall, I think having a super button is fine; but being able to constantly turn it on and off is a bit ridiculous and inconsistent with the Super transformation system as a whole.

When you decide to turn super you're deciding where and when you want to become invincible. If you take this concept away, you're left with an ability to go invincible anytime you decide you need that power to get through a portion of a level, giving the play a bit too much power in my opinion.

Overall, I think having a super button is fine; but being able to constantly turn it on and off is a bit ridiculous and inconsistent with the Super transformation system as a whole.

To add to this, since this also supports match/CTF, you lose your emeralds once you're not super anymore, so the idea in itself is unbalanced and flawed.

I've always thought that a good balance for the Super Off mechanic would be to make it so that you can only turn off super once you're below 50 rings. That way, you can't turn it back on, but you won't be left with 0 rings if you're in something like match, or you have a lifeline in Co-op.

Give it some consideration maybe?

Yeah, I dunno why SRB2 didn't just use a different button to transform, with or without a shield. Just because the classics did it this way doesn't mean it was good in any conceivable way whatsoever. Not that spin is a flawless button, but it's not like you'll be able to release an update now...

Either way, hopefully now Mania's got a super-button we can stop pretending like this choice ever made sense.
Also, you use P_SpawnGhostMobj(mo) for basic afterimages and CONS_Printf(player, "\x82"+player.name+"\x80 turned into a Super Fox!") for console messages. Though you should probably delete/edit that question before some admin cracks down on you for not posting that in editing.

Yeah, I dunno why SRB2 didn't just use a different button to transform, with or without a shield. Just because the classics did it this way doesn't mean it was good in any conceivable way whatsoever. Not that spin is a flawless button, but it's not like you'll be able to release an update now...

Yeah. I finally figured out how to edit the transformation script of this mod. I made it so I transform the Sonic 3 Complete way. You transform by jumping, holding the spin button, and pressing jump again while holding spin in the air (jump, hold spin + 2nd jump). Though, I still haven't gotten around making you transform with a shield or turning Super forms off. How do you do that so you can transform with a shield and turn off Super using the same command? I could DM you what changes I made.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back