[Open Assets] Metal Sonic Redone

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

There are a couple of issue with the Vanilla Metal Sonic Boss Fight that I have to state:

1: Being forced to use an offensive player flags (PF_JUMPED, PF_SPINNING) can cause custom characters to have an immensely difficult time trying to hit the boss when "jumping".
2: The Pinch Phase. Not gonna go on about that.

wewlad.png
So how about something different?

Metal Redone is a 4 day project I set up for myself on trying to create a Metal Sonic boss that is more entertaining and while not easy to speedrun like other bosses, is much more on the toes and relaxed compared to the Vanilla boss, it's not a perfect step up, but it's an appreciation nonetheless.

Inside the zip are 2 files: The Boss map itself, and the Replacement wad so you can visit ERZ3 and any other map that has the Metal Sonic Boss in it to play MetalRedone in it.

Credits to Blade for the extra sprites Metal Sonic uses in the fight.
Credits to Hedgefox/Swift for the amazing skybox of Stardust Speedway's Bad Future.
Credits to PixelGamer64/White T.U for the dank Level Select Picture above made for the boss map.
Credits to Karl Brueggemann for the outstanding and delicious Genesis tunes used for the boss stage itself. Seriously, take a listen to this guy's soundtrack, it's nostalgic, and it's good.

Attachments

• srb20018.gif
    srb20018.gif
    7.9 MB · Views: 2,533
  • sc_MetalRedone.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:
Right! That's everything fixed, welcome to releases!

New bosses are always good, that and it's interesting to see a boss designed to replace one in the vanilla game entirely if you so choose.

With every boss you submit, they get better and better! Metal Sonic is pretty challenging, and it's cool that you can even replace the ERZ3 fight if you want to.

Pretty dang inventive!

I'll note the second phase has basically zero vulnerabilities, but I already talked to you about that on IRC and you're workin' on it, so good job :D

Okay so I took the liberty to make a quick fix patch to clear up some annoying issues with the boss, specifically in the pinch phase where the Shock Attack continued to happen consistently. I also added a few things and what not to make some of the boss less bullshit.

I love what you did with the sky effects! This is one of the best Lua bosses I've seen! Though if you can, you should make it a little bit more clear when his vulnerable moments are.

It's okay, but I don't consider it an improvement.

It's very, very, very easy to lose track of where Metal Sonic is due to how dark the whole place is. He should be made fullbright or the lighting in the stage changed or something. Also those props around the arena aren't solid. Why aren't they solid? They look solid, it only opens you to a cheap hit when you take cover behind them and then MS passes right through them. They also make the problem of MS being hard to see more annoying since he may just be behind those dumb lampposts or those dumb whatever they are, as you look around trying to find him. IMO, this decoration should be outside the arena. That way they won't get in the way.

You also badmouthed vanilla Metal Sonic's pinch phase attack but the equivalent here is not good at all. Vanilla Metal's attack may be boring as shit once you know the trick, but it's easy to understand for first-time players at least - he charges at you, then bounces around the arena in predictable angles a few times before resetting his pattern. Here, MS just... what? I've played this boss fight a bunch and I still don't understand what's going on. He charges at me... then everything after that seems random. Running around the arena seems to be good to avoid it but that's not very involving is it? Plus I still somehow take damage at times anyway so what the heck.

It's still a good effort though, I guess. Having more bosses is a-ok with me.

It's very, very, very easy to lose track of where Metal Sonic is due to how dark the whole place is. He should be made fullbright or the lighting in the stage changed or something. Also those props around the arena aren't solid. Why aren't they solid? They look solid, it only opens you to a cheap hit when you take cover behind them and then MS passes right through them. They also make the problem of MS being hard to see more annoying since he may just be behind those dumb lampposts or those dumb whatever they are, as you look around trying to find him. IMO, this decoration should be outside the arena. That way they won't get in the way.

To clear that up, even IF the decorations were solid, bosses can sill phase through them, I learned about that with another boss I was working on where the phases through the solid object like it ain't no thing. Will I make them solid in the future? I'm not sure. But they're going to stay as assets in the stage regardless.

I have been noticing a lot of complaints had to do with the lighting and since it's continuing to occur on this thread, an update will hopefully fix that, and other minor issues that I might have noticed​ with this boss.

Well, like I said, you could put the decorations outside the boss arena. There won't be any confusion then.

Good to hear that the lighting is going to get looked at.

As a part of my "Birthday Update Spree on the M.B." Metal Redone has been updated to how it plays in the latest version of Boss Mayhem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back