[Open Assets] Vanilla Shield Abilities

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Lach

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
I love SRB2's unique shields, but only the Whirlwind and Armageddon shields actually have any player-activated abilities. So I decided to give the remaining shields each a sleek new power! Any character can use them, as long as they use spin jumping.

ELEMENTAL SHIELD: Press spin in mid-air to perform a bounce, à la Sonic 3! You'll bounce to roughly the height of a double jump.

FORCE SHIELD: Press spin in mid-air to perform a high-speed ground plummet, inspired by the Spike Shield from Sonic After the Sequel! It also has a very small shock radius so as to clear your landing from enemies that are a little too close for comfort.

ATTRACTION SHIELD: Press spin in mid-air to have the Earth's magnetic field gently pull you into its orbit just above the surface of the ground! You can move around while in this state but you'll become vulnerable to enemies again, so be careful.

Check out the .gifs below to see them in action!

Attachments

• srb20007.gif
    srb20007.gif
    7.5 MB · Views: 1,163
  • srb20005.gif
    srb20005.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,303
  • srb20006.gif
    srb20006.gif
    7.4 MB · Views: 1,291
  • vanillashieldabilities.lua
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,152
This actually needs to be a thing in vanilla, but the vanilla shield have unique abilities themselves but it's not enough. Nice job!

Can you perhaps do one for the Pity Shield?

I intended to keep the Pity Shield powerless because that's how it is in the classic series—but if more people want it, I certainly don't mind implementing one.

I intended to keep the Pity Shield powerless because that's how it is in the classic series—but if more people want it, I certainly don't mind implementing one.
Perhaps make the Pity Shield either:
Do an insta-shield
OR
Do a more powerful thok

Perhaps make the Pity Shield either:
Do an insta-shield
OR
Do a more powerful thok

I don't see a use in the insta-shield since the player already has a shield, so it'd just be used as a weapon. And I would agree that a thok would be too powerful to implement for a mere plain shield.

I don't see a use in the insta-shield since the player already has a shield, so it'd just be used as a weapon. And I would agree that a thok would be too powerful to implement for a mere plain shield.
hmm... perhaps reduce gravity slightly OR give a higher jump?

Why not give the Pity Shield the ability to levitate for a while in the air but make them vulnerable to enemies, players and more. But if they bump into a wall, it should knock the player back and cancel out the levitation. But I feel like that's a bit similar to the Attraction Shield ability.

Why not give the Pity Shield the ability to levitate for a while in the air but make them vulnerable to enemies, players and more. But if they bump into a wall, it should knock the player back and cancel out the levitation. But I feel like that's a bit similar to the Attraction Shield ability.

Yeah, considering that the Pity Shield most often appears in match, it'd let you cross large distances way up in the air where no one can hit you, which is definitely more powerful than anything the Attraction Shield can do.

hmm... perhaps reduce gravity slightly OR give a higher jump?

That could work; it's simple and complements the idea that the Pity Shield is given to players who are struggling. If there aren't any better ideas I might implement this one.

Maybe for the Pity it would be giving all the vanilla chars small buffs; like Sonic getting a jumpthok and Tails getting holdfly. Knux could get a jump as high as the other characters, and customs could get a higher jump and lowered grav.

EDIT: The higher jump and lowered grav thing was inspired by GreenKnight's idea.

Last edited:
Honestly the pity shield is good the way it is. Wanna know why? Its a pity shield, it's main ability is meant to protect you, it's entirely vanilla, it's the only shield in the game with no special power or function to it besides protecting you from one hit before losing your rings. It's perfectly fine as it is. If anything, you should be glad you obtained the shield for comfort, not for taking advantage of the level grounds.

Honestly the pity shield is good the way it is. Wanna know why? Its a pity shield, it's main ability is meant to protect you, it's entirely vanilla, it's the only shield in the game with no special power or function to it besides protecting you from one hit before losing your rings. It's perfectly fine as it is. If anything, you should be glad you obtained the shield for comfort, not for taking advantage of the level grounds.

Your logic is so sound, I wish I thought of that--

--Oh, how strange. I did. 🙄

This script doesn't work with CA2_MULTIABILITY characters :'V
PD: Your Force Shield custom ability reminds me of the Stomp move from Modern Sonic games ;)

A suggestion for the pity shield's ability that won't affect much:
Increased acceleration but decreased speed, allowing somebody who's struggling to be able to keep their footing and escape. It could be a swap, when you use spin in the air you go from an easier control to the original, or vice versa. Experts wouldn't have too much use for it, but in a heavy amount of fire, the extra maneuverability could very well save you.

PS: I know I'm late.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back