[Open Assets] Player-Colored Weapon Rings (coloredrings.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
Player-Colored Weapon Rings (coloredrings.wad) is an aesthetic modification that changes the color of weapon rings based on the colors of the players around them.

A standalone pickup ring will change its color to that of the player nearest to it:
attachment.php

A thrown ring will change its color to that of the player who threw it:
attachment.php

This modification may be useful in Team Match and Capture the Flag, to better identify which thrown weapon rings are harmful and which are not. Or perhaps a weapon ring will change color as a player is headed towards it, which gives him/her a warning that another player is close by. Or maybe you just want to spice up match with some cool new colors!

When you enter a ringslinger gametype for the first time with this mod loaded, a menu will appear which will allow the host player to customize what is colored and what isn't. Once the game is set up, it won't appear again, unless you summon it manually. Special thanks to Joat for his awesome GUI mod!

Here are the included console commands and how to use them:

cr_menu
• Opens up the graphical menu, so you can set the below commands all at once if you wish.

cr_rings
• "No" (or "Off" or 0), which colors all thrown rings with (roughly) their original color.
• "Yes" (or "On" or 1), which colors all thrown rings with the color of the player who threw it.

cr_ammo
• "No" (or "Off" or 0), which colors all collectible rings with (roughly) their original color.
• "Yes" (or "On" or 1), which colors all collectible rings with the color of the nearest player.

cr_trails
• "none" (or 0), which sets ring trails to be their original colors (golden sparkles and dark smoke).
• "primary" (or 1), which sets ring trails to be the same color as the ring which spawned it.
• "complement" (or 2), which sets ring trails to be an inverse color (or close to one) of the ring which spawned it.
• "secondary" (or 3), which sets ring trails to be the player's second color, if that mod is loaded. If the mod is not loaded, the color will revert to its complement.

cr_fire
• "No" (or "Off" or 0), which leaves fire trails spawned by the Elemental Shield to be their regular color.
• "Yes" (or "On" or 1), which colors Elemental Shield fire trails with the player's color.

Known issues:
• Firing off large numbers of rings (especially those that spawn explosions) at once can cause a lag spike.
• Modifying certain values mid-game or adding the file mid-game may cause some rings to be miscolored until they disappear.
• Firing ring explosions in NiGHTS mode causes the player's trail to briefly change color.
Changelog:
Update 4.3 - FSonic fix
• Fixed a bug where, due the the way the GUI works, FSonic's dashmode would not activate. The script still involves some manipulation of player stats, but should be far less invasive now.
Update 4.2 (initial release) - Console command switcheroo
• cr_ammo and cr_rings are switched, as requested by professional SRB2 match players from Discord.
Update 4.1 - Console command simplification
• All console commands now begin with "cr_", for even greater ease of use.
Update 4.0 - GUI and spinfire colors
• Added a GUI for ease of setting console commands.
• Split the "colorrings" command into "colorammo" and "colorrings", for simplcity's sake and to make the GUI easier to use.
• Changed the "colortrails" command to "colorringtrails", and modified the value set so that trails can be their original color, the player's color, the inverse of the player's color, or the player's secondary color. A lot more choice now!
• Added the command "colorspinfire", which can color Elemental Shield spintrails.
• The file is now wadzipped.
Update 3.0 - Secondary colors
• Got rid of thinkers for explosions and sparkles—thanks for pickup up on that, Prime.
• Fixed NiGHTS mode conflicts.
• Added a console command to enable secondary colors.
• Added list of inverse colors for ring trails (if enabled).
• Added support for secondcolor.wad
Update 2.0 - Pre-release version
• The console command has been changed into a console variable for simplicity's sake. Here are the slightly modified arguments:
"none" (or 0), which sets all weapon rings to (roughly) their original color.
"all" (or 1), which colors all weapon rings with player colors.
"thrown" (or 2), which only colors rings that are thrown by players.
"pickup" (or 3), which only colors the pickup weapon rings themselves.

• Simplified code by making the hooks call a singular function.

• Proximity-based ring coloration now takes the z-axis into account.

• I was able to make the ring sparkles player-colored! Yes, that includes rail rings and bomb ring explosions.
Update 1.1 - Console command
I have included a console command so that server/admin players can customize which rings are colored. The command is "colorrings", which can be followed by any of these arguments:
"off" (or 0), which sets weapon rings to their original color.
"on" (or 1), which colors all weapon rings.
"thrown" (or 2), which only colors rings that are thrown by players.
"pickup" (or 3), which only colors the pickup weapon rings themselves.

Note that the wad is wadzipped so that it is easier to download from servers, which means if you want to access its innards you'll need to first decompress it with this tool.

Attachments

• srb20025.png
    srb20025.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 535
  • srb20026.png
    srb20026.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 575
  • srb20027.png
    srb20027.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 523
  • srb20028.png
    srb20028.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 525
  • srb20038.png
    srb20038.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 524
  • srb20041.png
    srb20041.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 524
  • srb20042.png
    srb20042.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 529
  • srb20091.png
    srb20091.png
    305.4 KB · Views: 502
  • srb20088.png
    srb20088.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 541
  • srb20093.png
    srb20093.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 478
  • srb20094.png
    srb20094.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 478
  • srb20096.png
    srb20096.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 566
  • srb20029.png
    srb20029.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 2,057
  • srb20039.png
    srb20039.png
    108 KB · Views: 2,153
  • coloredrings.zip
    75.1 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Oh hey, now i don't have to panic trying to guess from "who threw that grenade?" thing!

Off-topic: Nice text Prime.

Finally, something that should make me better than such a hobo in netgames.

This is pretty neat, i like the idea of rings matching the player's color, in CTF the colored rings are only useful for the weapon rings(which they take the team's color).

This is pretty neat, i like the idea of rings matching the player's color, in CTF the colored rings are only useful for the weapon rings(which they take the team's color).

Actually, that's partly why I made it. The story behind this mod is pretty neat. It started out as a joke wad, where I changed every single ring into a rail ring, and let players use only rail rings in competitive gametypes. But when it came to making it compatible with CTF, I realized I had to make colorable rail rings to replace the team-only rings, so as to preserve the design of the CTF bases (not that preserving design is really a goal in a joke wad, but anyway...). I did this by copying the way team-only rings are colored in CTF, which also happens to color the thrown redrings (or blue redrings) as well. So then I thought, hey, what if it were possible to color all thrown weapons in a similar manner for team gametypes? In fact, why not color EVERY weapon ring in ALL gametypes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back