Flare the Speedrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

Once upon a time a character named FSonic was released, he was loved over the great sprite quality, the instashield, and most importantly, the dash mode, allowing Sonic to be even faster than anyone could imagine. People try to rival the might of the true fastest thing alive, but no- fuck this backstory heres Flare

PracticalFatCheetah.gif

Yes, this is fast

Flare the Hedgehog is a speedrunning character, his entire purpose is to not only rival FSonic in speed, agility, and jump height, but to also come up with some insane shortcuts in level design.

With Flare, you earn your speed, and your 3 moves all serve to maintain it in someway, so lets introduce them!

Jump Ability: Fall Switch
Hot damn did this ability need some use, and with Flare, its the perfect tool to regain your height from jumps too far for Flare to reach; for speedrunning, try to use this move while dipping in the water to gain more height and take shortcuts you're not meant to take!

Spin (in midair) Ability: Saturn Ross' Drop Dash
Flare shouldn't slow down, but unfortunately, he does. However, to mitigate that, the dropdash (similar to Mania's original function) will thrust the player down to the ground and dash based on the player's speed during the fall down (Default is 30*FRACUNIT and will increase if the player's speed is above that); For speedrunning, use this move if you want to land faster from a spring or geyser gimmick, do note that you can't use this after using the Fall Switch, so choose your moves wisely.

Uncurl while rolling: In conjunction with the Drop Dash, in order to help make better control of where you want Flare to go after a drop dash, press spin while rolling at anytime to uncurl and keep running.

Searing Speedboost: Flare's main move and the only way for him to "go fast". Pay attention to the S-Meter while running, as it displays how long it will take Flare to start boosting. When the meter almost reaches full, Flare will start to speedup and begin boosting, watch out for different indicators as you might get caught offguard while platforming.

There are two levels of boosting: First boosting level starts to leave a fire trail as well as a non painful fire wave effect that pushes enemies/players away as you're on the ground. Second boosting level turns the fire wave into a fire boost, similar to how Modern Sonic's boost makes him damage enemies, this only applies to badniks apparently.

When Flare moves backwards, he moves at a very slow speed, this should encourage players to keep going forward or strafing while trying to use Flare's Searing Speedboost.

When Flare is super, he cannot use his Speed Boost at all, since he'll be much faster than that, not to mention he'll leave a fire trail while running, this effect also applies to speed shoes as well.

In 2D Mode, Flare's Speedboost is disabled entirely as 2D Mode is known to cause bugs with modifying a player's normalspeed.

Also included in this .rar file is Jeck Jim's old Flare MD2, which was cheaply ported to 2.1 and also includes the blend.png for changeable colors.

Flare is cute for TD now :D (included in the same .rar, idk I'm lazy)
x7NQzoL.gif

Flare's heat wave is now weaker since it really pushed players out of the way really harshly

CIMYYvc.png

Flare got a new MD2, thanks to Jeck Jims for creating this adorable fucker in 3D! :D However, the older MD2 is still available for anyone that for some unknown reason... wants to keep it.

For Flare and Old Flare's MD2 size, just use
Code:
Flare [OLDFLARE.MD2/FLARE.MD2] 3.0 0.0

Noticed a minor problem with Flare's backwalk where Analog mode forced you to go slow when you held "down". Flare has always had this move by the way, and has been properly mention in the original post.

n6J9CD1.gif

New Transformation frames have been made to cater to the new MD2, however, there are no proper transformation frames for the MD2 yet, expect a quick update either on this thread or Jeck Jims thread during this week. (Week of 1/29 - 2/4)

Fixed a very annoying bug for people that don't use launchers like noobs and add Flare mid-game.

Update 4: I finally have an excuse to properly update him thank god. Switched out Flare's old Sonic-Advance-styled Life Icon with an SRB2 styled Life Icon.

TopDown stats have been merged into Flare.wad, now Wolfy can leave me alone on that front. :P

Have fun with Flare, I know I did making his abilities, and my friends can agree too! Thanks SnowTH/Snu :P

AnyKnobbyAfghanhound.gif

Credits to:
Jeck Jims: Creating the character and the new MD2 made for 2.1.
Lat': S-Meter design and HUD script
Saturn Ross: His version of the drop dash was a useful tool for help with speedrunning.
Demnyx Onyxwing: The old SpeedShoes.lua from Skybase that was the biggest basis for some of Flare's abilities.
Igor47: Sonic Advance 2 acceleration script, which was a large base on Flare's main ability, as well as the front flip script.

Attachments

• WillingHonoredLamb.gif
    WillingHonoredLamb.gif
    4 MB · Views: 1,450
  • srb20071.gif
    srb20071.gif
    367.7 KB · Views: 12,943
  • Flare.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,799
Last edited:
Neat! I'm already aware you have permission to use Flare thanks to lurking a certain Discord channel. So that's fine.

The new abilities are fun too, so go wild with the power to fail to control them and go careening off of cliffs. But at least you'll fly to your doom very very quickly.

A character made to rival FSonic in speed will make for some interesting races, definitely going to try this one out.

Interesting, you tried Flare on TD nice, with his agility and boosts, he makes a perfect rival for Sonic.

Update 2:
CIMYYvc.png

Flare got a new MD2, thanks to Jeck Jims for creating this adorable fucker in 3D! :D However, the older MD2 is still available for anyone that for some unknown reason... wants to keep it.

Noticed a minor problem with Flare's backwalk where Analog mode forced you to go slow when you held "down". Flare has always had this move by the way, and has been properly mention in the original post.

n6J9CD1.gif

New Transformation frames have been made to cater to the new MD2, however, there are no proper transformation frames for the MD2 yet, expect a quick update either on this thread or Jeck Jims thread during this week. (Week of 1/29 - 2/4)

Update 3: Fixed a very annoying bug for people that don't use launchers like noobs and add Flare mid-game.

Update 4: I finally have an excuse to properly update him thank god. Switched out Flare's old Sonic-Advance-styled Life Icon with an SRB2 styled Life Icon.

TopDown stats have been merged into Flare.wad, now Wolfy can leave me alone on that front. :P

It says the file is used by another process.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

And so... it doesn't save the file.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

No problem anymore guys, i fixed it!

I like this wad

This wad is very cool , like its abilities like : running and super speed one !
but its jump i think is higher you need to change the command "jumpheight" to Jumpfactor 1 its enough for me only its up to you you change or not .
But anyway that's a nice looking wad and md2 i like it
About its MD2
its the wad Flare.wad and its MD2 is awesome i like it too ! i like your wad so Much Because of its abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back