Version 2.1.17 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Inuyasha on 01-17-2017 12:50 AM.

We have a very important announcement for you all:

Netgames are stable once again. (Thanks to Mr. Mystery for taking these screenshots of almost 32 players in a single netgame!)

Now now, before you go too crazy, keep in mind that things still aren’t perfect. There may be unexpected issues stemming solely from the fact that some parts of our game hasn’t had proper testing in years, due to the instability of netgames. But it’s safe to say that things are back to a level of stability around that of version 2.0, if not a little better than that. Special shoutouts go to LJSonik, who was the one to discover and fix the majority of these problems that had been difficult to find.

Though the stability of netgames is a huge part of this update, it’s not the only thing featured in it. See below for the full patch notes…

• Netgame stability:
    • Fixed an issue where the server wouldn’t resend packets properly. (This is a gross simplification of the issue, but it gets the general point across.)
    • It is now possible to ‘kick’ a player in mid-join, while they are downloading the game state.
    • Downloading files is now much faster, and significantly more reliable.
    • Various other minor stability improvements made during testing of the above fixes.
  • The console has been heavily revamped.
    • It’s now possible to move the input cursor left and right, as well as selecting multiple characters at the same time using the shift keys.
    • Clipboard support has been added. CTRL+C copies selected text, and CTRL+V pastes any text that’s in your clipboard, similar to most other programs.
    • Fixed pressing multiple modifier keys down at the same time.
  • Collision fixes:
    • Fixed Knuckles being able to climb on air.
    • Fixed upside-down springs launching themselves off of ceilings again.
    • Fixed springs (and any other non-moving objects with gravity) falling through one-way platform blocks.
    • Jumping into a solid object now properly stops your momentum.
    • Collision boxes for solid objects now extend downwards properly.
  • Software renderer fixes:
    • Players don’t visually disappear into FOFs anymore if they have multiple overlays (such as the Elemental or Armageddon shields) attached to them and spindash on top of it.
    • Polyobjects planes no longer cause crashes, and translucent ones no longer lose their translucency in some situations.
    • The game no longer crashes if you view a wall with an invalid, but well-defined “texture” name (e.g.: a sound effect name, for the Play Sound linedef).
    • Repeating Midtextures no longer have messed up lighting under certain circumstances.
    • Fixed animated textures with holes displaying garbage for the first frame they’re visible.
  • OpenGL renderer fixes:
    • Fixed MD2 models with too many vertices causing memory corruption; these MD2s are ignored instead.
    • Precipitation (rain, snow, etc.) actually shows up now.
  • More minor unrelated changes and/or fixes:
    • The MobjThinker, MobjCollide and MobjMoveCollide hooks have been optimised, reducing their negative impact on performance in large maps.
    • Fixed problems with Egg Guards’ shields exploding a physically impossible number of times.
    • Fixed issue with switching skins incorrectly being allowed during credits and custom cutscenes in single-player.
    • Fixed the FixedFloor, FixedTrunc, FixedCeil and FixedRound Lua functions returning garbage.
    • Rope hangs and zoom tubes have smoother behavior near their waypoints.
    • Pusher specials applied to FOFs now properly account for slopes applied to the bottom plane.
    • The ” character is now treated as whitespace in TEXTURES and ANIMDEF lumps, allowing for better compatibility with SLADE’s relevant lump-editing tools.
    • Providing negative scales to v.drawScaled in Lua doesn’t crash anymore.
    • Changing sector flats in netgames using Lua scripting no longer causes the game to crash for new joiners.

View on SRB2.org

I know a lot of you are excited about this, and you should be!
But please be aware that, because the netcode was so unstable, we couldn't identify real netplay bugs as opposed to ones caused by the major bug that was fixed here. Now that we've solved the big one, the smaller ones will be more prominent and identifiable.
I highly encourage anyone experiencing netplay issues to post over in the Bug Reports subforum, we will need as many reports as we can get now so we can fix as many issues that went unresolved until this point as possible.

Finally, NETCODE FIXED! NO MORE SYNCHS! (well, depends the internet too.) And im happy too that the FixedFloor, FixedTrunc, FixedCeil and FixedRound are in operation again.

Wow, Its great that the most annoying issues were fixed, nice job!
I cant wait to try this out.

For me one of the most annoying issues was the game state and synchs.
Im glad that this was fixed.

Nice! 2.1.17 just in time for the new year!

Thanks again LJ sonic! Also, loving the new console :)

Right now the netcode is fine after my server Test.
So, good work LJ Sonic and most developers,Mr Mystery and Steel Titanium for the netcode fix and everyone who helped them test it.

Mr Mystery and Steel Titanium had nothing to do with fixing the netcode ...? MrM hosted netgames with LJSonic's fixes sure, but I'm not sure where Steel comes into the equation.

Steel was one of the people who tested and +1'd the code on the Github, I believe. So if you're mentioning MrMystery, he probably deserves equal credit for his involvement as well.

What, Netplay is playable now? Gonna give it a shot. Thanks to LJsonic and all the other guys that helped bring this update.

Guys, don't get carried away with the idea that the netcode is flawless now, it's not. There may be other issues with it we don't really know of yet, it's up to you guys to help us spot some of them. But it's better than what it was before at least, anyway. =P

For that matter, it was reported back in 2.1.16 that CEZ3 and ERCZ consistently broke for anyone joining the game. These stages should no longer do that. At least, they should no longer be the direct cause of resynching, anyway (resynchs can still happen, but I suspect it's more likely the netcode itself rather than any particular stage desynching).

Guys, don't get carried away with the idea that the netcode is flawless now, it's not. There may be other issues with it we don't really know of yet, it's up to you guys to help us spot some of them. But it's better than what it was before at least, anyway. =P

For that matter, it was reported back in 2.1.16 that CEZ3 and ERCZ consistently broke for anyone joining the game. These stages should no longer do that. At least, they should no longer be the direct cause of resynching, anyway (resynchs can still happen, but I suspect it's more likely the netcode itself rather than any particular stage desynching).

Ok, many Netplayers are happy because the most annoying netcode issues are fixed, and thats basically good enough for now.

I have literally never seen the netcode be so smooth!! This is fantastic!! Thank you all so much for this! Now I have more of a reason to play Multiplayer!!

So Um... (A bit of a weird and silly question.) How do you join and host netgames now? They're seem to be missing when I go into Multiplayer, or is it just me?

Netplay was disabled in srb2dd.exe in 2.1.16, and that is still the case in 2.1.17. You must use srb2win.exe to use netplay features.

Netplay was disabled in srb2dd.exe in 2.1.16, and that is still the case in 2.1.17. You must use srb2win.exe to use netplay features.

For some reason, I'm having huge problems with SRB2Win... It just sits there in the background, never showing up, no matter what I do. SRB2DD works sometimes, but I can't go online, as you said, so... I don't know what to do. I got it working last night, but today, it no longer works.

EDIT: turns out it was AVG's fault, the second I added it to the exceptions list, it started working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back