King of The Hill Redux - A Blast from the Past!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoatRack

Official Community CoatRack
Sonic Team Junior
Hello SRB2 MB. Over the last few weeks/months I have been working on a port of an old gametype, one that had fallen in between the cracks for versions and level mods. This is none other than King Of The Hill, last seen in version 1.09.4!

This is just the initial release, in this version contains all the levels from Cue's old KOTH pack (SRB2Live) for 1.09.4. Out of those levels, I gave one a total face lift (Floral Canyon) to improve the look and feel of the level. I hope to do the same treatment with the other maps, I just haven't had the time to give them the care needed yet. I also wanted to inspire other map makers to create their own KOTH-esque levels and make this the next Thokker!

Along with Cue's pack, there are two extra levels, taken from SRB2's match and CTF rotations, tweaked to work with the new game mode of course.

For a better gameplay experience I would recommend setting the point limit to 10000 at least, I personally go with a 15000 point limit though.

A big thanks to Flame for the original concept for the game mode, and Spazzo for and porting the stages from 1.09.4 to 2.1, as well as helping me test the pack!

Attachments

• srb20973.png
    srb20973.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 1,366
  • srb20974.png
    srb20974.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 1,078
  • srb20975.png
    srb20975.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 851
  • srb20976.png
    srb20976.png
    160 KB · Views: 761
  • srb20977.png
    srb20977.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 927
  • srb20978.png
    srb20978.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 931
  • srb20979.png
    srb20979.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 838
  • srb20980.png
    srb20980.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 865
  • koth_Redux.rar
    618.2 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:
Alright, I've tested every map in this pack.

I'm not sure whether this is an issue or a design flaw, but some of the hills actually have walls that redirect your momentum upon hitting them. Kinda breaks consistency considering most of the maps don't.

The maps are sort of dated in design and aesthetic, but that's a given considering how long ago SRB2Live released. Not gonna hold it against you, since that's the case.

KOTH mode also plays fine. I can tell that it's done via the map itself though, and I honestly think you should consider a Lua rewrite. You could really turn it into a fully-fledged game mode, like Thokker or Spheres, which would be a lot better in terms of flexibility for customization. It'd be pretty cool if you could support stuff like randomized hills, or gaining points from just the hill.

That being said, everything else here checks out. Welcome to releases.

Last edited:
Oh hey, I remember this!

I can answer some questions, if there are any, of levels included in this pack. I had a direct developmental role in the initial creation of some of these maps.

Last edited:
So good to see this again! :D
Now, I feel nostalgic when im playing this on 2.1. I remember when I was a kid, I played this everytime with friends or other players. Good Job!

I joined a lobby with Spazzo in it and i was pleased with the map i was on, Floral canyon to be precise.

It was a pretty large map for just little old me. But hey! Amazing to see a throwback from 1.09.4

Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back