[Open Assets] Paper Mario Bros.

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherChen

The other one
The Mario Bros. in a Sonic game? With even MOAR abilities?

MARIO'S ABILITIES
  • Press Jump in the air to do a Tornado Jump, and hold Jump afterward to drift slowly to the ground. You can strafe back and forth quickly, but your maximum speed is reduced.
  • Press Spin on the ground to throw a hammer. Hold Spin to throw it further, but don't hold it for too long or it'll fall out of your hands!
  • Press Spin in the air to crash into the ground with your hammer. Hold Spin to fall faster. It'll cause an earthquake if it hits hard enough.
  • Press Custom 1 to whip out a cape that spins enemies and players around. You can use it in the air at any time unless you've already done a Tornado Jump or are falling with the hammer.
  • Press Custom 2 on the ground to become tiny. You can run across water and fit into small spaces, but you can't use your hammer or throw rings. Press Custom 2 again, or wait for the timer to run out, to grow back to normal size.
  • Press Custom 3 while standing still to place a Warp Pipe. If you already have a Warp Pipe on the field, you'll teleport to it.
OTHER THINGS
  • Pop an Armageddon monitor, and you'll find yourself wrapped in pixellated flames -- you've got a Fire Drive shield! Most of your actions are faster (such as running and throwing hammers), you can shoot fireballs with Fire, and all hammer attacks will create fire bursts.
  • You can't shoot rings in Match with the Fire Drive shield, and it'll fizzle out in water. Also you're NOT immune to fire yourself.
  • Type PAPER_NOSCOPE in the console to disable the hammer target thingy.

LUIGI'S ABILITIES
  • Hold Jump while jumping to fall slower. Very powerful when combined with Luigi's strong jump.
  • Press Spin in the air to dodge attacks. This leaves you helpless until you land.
  • Press Spin near the ground to wavedash, propelling Luigi faster than his normal running speed. Be careful -- Luigi might trip on his own feet instead, especially if he has a shield. Mash Spin to get back up faster.

SINGLE-PLAYER BOTS
Add paperbros.wad AFTER adding both Mario and Luigi, and you can play as the Mario Bros. in single player.

With Mario in the lead, Luigi will just wander around aimlessly most of the time.
You can throw hammers at him all you want, and if you hit him with your cape he'll go flying.

With Luigi in the lead, Mario will pursue and attack enemies. He's not perfect, but he can easily hit most grounded enemies with a hammer, or jump to catch some airborne enemies.
Mario's AI will also engage and defeat SRB2's first four bosses without the player's help, but it may take a while (especially THZ).
If Luigi (you) is idle, Mario will start harassing him with hammers and the occasional cape.

ABOUT THIS MOD
The sprites are, of course, not mine -- they were ripped straight from Paper Mario 64.
The normal WADs use sounds from Paper Mario 64, Paper Mario TTYD, and Smash Bros. 64.
The "NS" WADs are smaller and use in-game sounds exclusively.
paperbros.wad has no sounds, and is compatible with both versions as long as you add it last.

UPDATE 2015-04-07 (v2.2.0)
  • Luigi can now wavedash, but runs a bit slower and can no longer float without jumping first
  • Removed power meter for Mario's air hammer

KNOWN ISSUES
  • You can use some abilities inside of zoom tubes. It won't break the game or anything, but I'll try to fix that soon.
  • Pulleys and THZ goo are a little wonky -- be careful using them while shrunk.
  • A very specific thing in ERZ will wreck Mario's entire Lua script. That may be fixed in the future, but for now just look at Rumia1's comment and don't do that thing they did.

Attachments

• paper1.gif
    paper1.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 9,259
  • paper2.gif
    paper2.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 6,495
  • paper3.gif
    paper3.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 4,628
  • paper4.gif
    paper4.gif
    2 MB · Views: 4,420
  • paper5.gif
    paper5.gif
    779.9 KB · Views: 4,853
  • paper6.gif
    paper6.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,408
  • paper7.gif
    paper7.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 8,448
  • paper9.gif
    paper9.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,814
  • Paper Mario Bros. v2.2.0.zip
    603.5 KB · Views: 14,521
Last edited:
Sounds are kinda iffy(and you replaced the thok sound, which carries over to paper mario's redring throws...), but the gameplay additions are substantial enough for an exception to the sprite rip rule.

I look forward to playing this in match, using rail ring while tiny is hilarious.

Finally, a Mario in SRB2 once again.

I dunno if this is normal or not but alot of his sounds are making this loud staticy screech. X_X

I think something might have gotten corrupted.

The sounds may not work with the new SDL executable; I've got a new version with no custom sounds and a significantly lower filesize.

For one, SLADE doesn't do audio conversions, and for two, don't convert sounds to the doom format. It's a completely unnecessary step.

Convert your audio samples to 44100hz or 22050hz.

Wow this seriusly reminds me off D00D64 Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio but i'm always liked sprites of n64 version of Paper Mario so i'm going to download this :)

This Mario fits much better with SRB2, but I noticed some sprite issues, (Blue hat logo, missing sprites, etc.) so maybe you could use different sprites, like the ones from Super Paper Mario. Still, he's incredibly fun to play as, with very unique and fitting abilities.

Also...
HjPDoFy.png

"Dear Pesky Plumbers..."

Last edited:
Thanks Inu, I should read more Editing threads before trying new stuff.

The hat logo on your HUD changes color when you do; there's not enough space in the HUD icon to show his overalls color nicely.
What sprites are missing though? The only ones I can think of are the unused Y and Z frames.

The angles are missing for the Idle animation, and the Running animation feels incomplete, so that's about it, sorry. Also, the Hat and Shirt should change colour, not the overalls, so if you could switch that, that'd make more sense.

I do have a few ideas for this WAD:

*I feel as if you should be able to use the Hammer with Special 1 without initiating a jump and pressing the Spin button/key in mid-air.
*When the hammer is out, a small hitbox appears around Paper Mario that damages nearby enemies/objects.

The next version will fix running-in-place, add a hammer hitbox in front of Mario, and remove shrink jumping (Chen, how could you?) Also I'll put up some new screenshots.

This is a great character wad. The abilities aren't over/underpowered, even the acceleration and top speed are good for the game. A very fun character, but we've got a few bugs.

deAqEAR.gif
6gndj8R.gif
y0TEoxg.gif
There's also something very strange about shrinking, hopping on the rope systems in ACZ, and then regrowing back to normal size. Paper Mario gets displaced verticallys slowly sinks/rises back towards the middle, and vibrates on the U-turns, and It's best you try this out on the ropes near the end of the level, it's tons easier to see that way.

Lastly there's a bug with the spin tubes that I found in ERZ. If you use the hammer and jump in at the same time, you get sent through but the sprites become glitched. It was entirely an accident and I'm having trouble replicating it, hopefully you'll have better luck.

I hope this all helps!

I've fixed absolutely everything above this comment, in some way or another. No more infinite Tornado jump, no more glitched animations on the spinning chain, and hopefully no more exploits related to shrinking. Please alert me to any other fun things you can do with this character and I'll be more than happy to remove them (I kid, I kid).

Last edited:
It feels like there should be a way to tell where the hammer will be thrown, like a sort of target or arc, and destroy monitors. Also, Mario shouldn't drown, like in his games, and be able to use his hammer drop whenever he's midair.

Last edited:
It feels like there should be a way to tell where the hammer will be thrown, like a sort of target or arc, and destroy monitors.
Added the hammer arc; I don't know why I didn't have that in the first place. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to destroy monitors with the hammer, if there even is a way.

Also, Mario shouldn't drown, like in his games, and be able to use his hammer drop whenever he's midair.
Now that's just getting into the "crazy talk" category. Mario's already versatile enough in Co-op as it is, and he's probably even stronger in Match.

#oOOOOOOOO@OOOHEEEY1I SEES YH GOT THE PAPPER MARO MARIO FAZ.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to destroy monitors with the hammer, if there even is a way.
You can do it with something like this:
Code:
addHook("MobjMoveCollide", function(phammer, mobj)
    if (mobj.valid and mobj.health and mobj.flags & MF_MONITOR)
    and (phammer.target.type == MT_PLAYER)
        P_KillMobj(mobj, phammer, phammer.target)
    end
end, MT_PAPERHAMMER)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back