Egg Outposts Zone v1.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrannic

So, this is my level, Egg Outposts Zone, rereleased from the OLDC with slight improvements, nothing big, but I think the level is better now nontheless.

Current Version: v1.1.1

PLEASE READ: Since this level involves very dark rooms and Software mode/Open GL mode handle darkness very differently, two versions are included in the .7z-file, EOZOpenGLver.wad and EOZSoftware.wad
Major level design flaws will most likely not be fixed as it isn't worth the time. If you find more flaws like those below that can be fixed in a reasonable amount of time feel free to post them.
Beware that the OLDC has shown that this level can be quite a test for even the best computers, one cutscene may drop your FPS for a short amount of time.

The level has been critizised for its textures. If you have suggestions for better textures to be used in some areas, feel free to post them.

Now, the changelog:

newest version:

v1.1.1:

- (minor) added custom mod version number to title screen

- EOZ now has its own gamedata file (eozdata.wad). Emblems will probably be added in the future.

- EOZ now has a level select picture

- fixed map header

- renamed files to add prefixes (sc_)

- the door that previously was open only for Sonic (fixed in v1.1.0) also had a second door shortly after. That door is now open for all characters too.

v1.1.0:

- removed the "Made by Tyrannic"-subtitle as that was only for the OLDC

- music slot was changed to "4 - THZ1"

- all rings now have an increased chance to have the "float"-flag checked

- pity shield monitor has been removed

- score monitors have been replaced with other vanilla monitors

- missing grass edges have been added at the beginning of the level

- at the beginning of the left path, the first checkpoint has been moved to prevent the player falling down a ledge after respawning

- the door leading to the interior of the first outpost on the right path is now open for all characters, making the secret entrance from behind optional.

- moved starpost in big tree to prevent the player having to backtrack to deactivate the laser barrier again.

- the switch deactivating said barrier now has a different flat

- in the big tree section, some devious pop-up turrets have been removed. In that section, pop-up turrets now only appear in enclosed areas to prevent them being too punishing by knocking the player off an edge. Further updates to prevent the player replaying the entire section after falling may or may not be made in the future.

- light level in dark cave has been increased by 80 (OGL ver)/124 (Software ver)

- fixed a minor bug where a sector had a ceiling flat instead of F_SKY1

- the waterslide path in the dark cave now will lead back to where it started. Previously, it lead to the beginning of the right path and thus was a giant detour, stretching out the level. That old waterslide exit is still available, but it's hidden and only accessible with Knuckles.

- in the deton path, an invincibility monitor has been moved to a more obvious position

srb20010.png srb20011.png srb20012.jpg srb20013.png
srb20014.png srb20015.png
srb20016.png srb20017.png

eozmap.png

DL:
View attachment 5718

Attachments

• Egg Outposts Zone.7z
    519.2 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:
I just played through both versions of this and I'm pretty happy to see you've listened to the advice people gave you during the OLDC and adjusted the level.

But before I release this, there are a few little adjustments that need to be made.

1. Your level header isn't working correctly, the level displays Greenflower Zone 1 on level load and it's using the GFZ1 music as well.
  2. Could you please rename the files to have scr_ at the start (to show what game modes the level can be played in, single player, cooperative, race), this is done to make it easier for people with lots of wads to search through their files.

As soon as these are done, I'll be happy to release it.

Okay, the files are now renamed and will be reuploaded after clearing out the first issue...

...which I don't know how to fix. I know why I missed it, my Srb2 was still at 2.1.10 (where the header worked), but there aren't any changes regarding the header in the 2.1.11 patch notes, so I have no idea what is causing this bug.

MAPxxD lumps were deprecated in 2.1.11. Just put the header in the MAINCFG and it will work just fine.

Thanks, SpiritCrusher.

Updated the files along with some more improvements (see changelog).

Current version: v1.1.1

EDIT: I found a bug where there is a wall blocking Tails, I'll fix that.

EDIT 2: Fixed and reuploaded

Last edited:
The map is designed well,and i enjoyed playing it, but Maybe you have to Change that Music,it's not Appropriate with Map design,for instance use 137,or a Custom one ... or maybe ... 86 =P

Last edited:
The map is designed well,and i enjoyed playing it, but Maybe you have to Change that Music,it's not Appropriate with Map design,for instance use 137,or a Custom one ... or maybe ... 86 =P

The problem with using music in this level is that it's a mixed theme level. While the right path is generally very grassy and natural with a bit of industrial-themed aspects, the left path has a cave and factory setting with some small grassy aspects.
Thus, tunes will probably never be a 100% fitting due to the level being very different in itself.
Thanks for the criticism though!

very nice man! Good job! Keep it! :D

Thanks dude!

Have you tried using the Change Music linedefs? You can customize it anywhere in the level incase you want to fit the theme perfectly.

I thought of that but it's probably not worth the effort, especially because you could backtrack at anytime and go to another section where the music doesn't fit again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back