[Open Assets] TF2CP - New multiplayer gametypes!

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krabs

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
(I figured I'd post this as one submission rather than 2, but if that's not okay I can split it up into 2 topics)

TF2cp allows you to create your own TF2-style capture point maps, with 2 gamemodes: 3CP Domination and 5CP Push.

Domination is a gamemode where 2 teams fight for control over 3 points. All 3 points begin neutral, and each team begins with 500 seconds on their clock. The more points a team owns, the faster their countdown clock will tick. Once a clock reaches 0 for either team, that team wins the game. Push is a gamemode like tug-of-war. Both teams start with two controlled points, and a central point which starts out neutral. Capturing a point unlocks the next one. The team that captures all control points wins.

To aid in the creation of new maps using TF2CP, some template maps are included in tf2cp.wad. MAPT0 is a 3cp domination map and MAPT1 is a 5cp push map.

There is also a new map, p_causticchasm.wad. It is a 5cp push map made to show how a "finished" map would look with the new gametype. Currently there is no Domination map included as a demonstration.

Attachments

• TF2CP.zip
    445.8 KB · Views: 677
  • srb20005.jpg
    srb20005.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 903
  • srb20006.jpg
    srb20006.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 708
  • srb20007.jpg
    srb20007.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 694
  • srb20008.jpg
    srb20008.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 675
  • srb20009.jpg
    srb20009.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 597
  • srb20010.jpg
    srb20010.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 680
  • srb20002.gif
    srb20002.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 805
  • srb20006.gif
    srb20006.gif
    3 MB · Views: 772
So, this works very well and seems like it could be a lot of fun with a lot of people. Unfortunately I couldn't get many people to test your finished map with, but I know they might want to comment.

It may be nice if you could include a finished map for the other gametype too. If only to give people ideas.

Welcome to releases anyhow.

With a proper number of players (hopefully 3 per team at least) you can defend decently well. It might be a fault of the map design though.

EDIT: Damnit iceman why must you delete your post? Now my response looks dumb :U

The game felt fair for the start, because everyone had to collect shit to go after each other, but after you are killed the time it takes to reequip yourself is too long, by then you're of no help. Basically you either go in useless after death or take your time and attack at the next post.
I think a new gametype could change some of the stale conventions of match mode by providing you with a set of rings when you respawn to keep up with pace of game.

Of the gametype that had a map available, it had a number of issues that lead to the winning team to simply win some more. With little to no hope of the losing team to fight back from the force.

First of all, the once the middle point has been taken, the losing team is completely locked out of all options of offense, forced straight to defense. They have to rush back to their bases. They don't have time to hunt down weapon panels, they don't have time to gather rings either, if there's more than 1 person on the control area, then they have to either get there within a few seconds, or another control area gets locked out to them.

Second, getting hit pretty much takes you out of the game. Unlike CTF, where getting hit simply means you're slowed down, you can't try to catch up here, because the momentum of the winning team never falls back to neutral ground. Once they start winning, they start to win more, once they win more, then the game is pretty much over. You lose all of your fighting power the moment you're hit (unless you have a shield, but giving the pace of this, there's simply no time to grab one and try to re-join the fray. The area would be captured by then). Because of this, the match is often decided right as the first point is captured, with little to no struggle from either team, one dominates, the other gets dominated.

Lastly, the scaling of the control point timer is tipped in the winning teams favor. The middle point takes quite some time to control compared to the others, and your focus is on both the players trying to control your next point, and trying to regain the middle to bring the game back to neutral. It's far more likely that you'll lose the next point than re-capture the middle due to how long it takes to capture it. Screwed if you play defense, screwed if you play offensive.

What I suggest:

-Make the neutral point very easy to capture, with the second point being twice as hard as neutral, and the last point being three times as the second point.

-Make it easier to stock up on weapon panels, while rings are easy to find, spreading weapon panels so far from the red/blue team spawn points makes it difficult to be ready for the fight.

-Remove the deathpits, getting hit is already punishing enough, dying takes 3 seconds before you can respawn, then you have to recollect your rings, and then you can try to join the fray again, the other team will be at your doorstep before you're done doing all of this.

Area control (there's an official name for this somewhere out there) can work in srb2, but it needs to be adjusted to how our match system plays (The "Win more" system, I'll call it)

Also, fix your damn code. I counted seven instances of mobj.iterate that are guaranteed to run every frame, with another potential loop per player. That should never even be run on a per-frame basis, considering how laggy it quickly gets. Build an index table on map start and use that instead.

The game felt fair for the start, because everyone had to collect shit to go after each other, but after you are killed the time it takes to reequip yourself is too long, by then you're of no help. Basically you either go in useless after death or take your time and attack at the next post.
I think a new gametype could change some of the stale conventions of match mode by providing you with a set of rings when you respawn to keep up with pace of game.

How about just a + for the health bar (just like TF2), which has 150 when it's full, and each hit takes away 10-30? If you want to make TF2 gamemodes work in SRB2, you might as well just use lua to change the fact that rings are your health and that they all spill out of you when you get hit, and instead let you start with 20 rings and keep your rings when you get hit, with the health bar going down.
Unless that's impossible in lua for now...In that case, nevermind.

Congratulations! You are the first to make a full-blown, new gametype with LUA :)!

Nice to see someone create a new gametype with LUA, and to add some variety to the same old netgame games. This looks like to be a lot of fun, and I hope to see the code to be optimized and bug fixes. I'll try it tomorrow, and give better feedback.

Unless that's impossible in lua for now...In that case, nevermind.

A health bar is totally possible, but because of how fast you run in SRB2, it makes it nearly impossible to kill anyone. Plus, it wouldn't be very Sonic-y, and unfaithful to the rest of the gamemodes in SRB2.

I think Chrome's suggestions would be the way to go.

Yeah I'll probably do something similar to what Chrome suggested. Health in SRB2 would be a nightmare, and would probably ruin the gamemode.

Just a question, are there any plans for like, you capture two points and you move onto the next stage, somewhat like Dustbowl.
Don't whine at me saying he isn't making a whole port of TF2, I really don't want to start that again

Defiantly got to try this out, looks like it could be tones of fun! After all domination is one of my favourite game types in pretty much every fps game.

I may just have to implement this in to an old map I've made as well.

Just a question, are there any plans for like, you capture two points and you move onto the next stage, somewhat like Dustbowl.
Don't whine at me saying he isn't making a whole port of TF2, I really don't want to start that again

Yes that is a possibility, although at the moment I'm not sure if I will be giving this any massive updates. I kind of want to move onto something new after I fix some stuff with this release.

So I made a domination map and it works fine when you switch in to the map with other players. However, when a player tries to join they crash within 3 seconds.

I then removed the cp lumps from the level (just to test if it was the level or not) and all the players were able to join fine.
(Sorry if its too brief but I don't know what more I could possible add.)

Last edited:
yeah, it seems to work much better switching AFTER all the players have joined. I don't know what is causing the error to occur, so I don't think I can fix it...

yeah, it seems to work much better switching AFTER all the players have joined. I don't know what is causing the error to occur, so I don't think I can fix it...
I believe it's caused by variables being set before players join, and when players join, Lua variables don't get sent over. When it then checks for the variables, they don't exist, and Lua should turn off the hook due to there being an error in the code about wanting a non-existant variable. For the rest, it's just guessing. Then due to the server trying to... uhh... yeah, I'm blank about this one, but then big "errors" between the server and the client might cause the client to crash...? It shouldn't be something you can fix in the script, though. If it is, I'd be very surprised.

Looks like you can input some backup variables with a PlayerJoin hook just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back