Mystic Realm v.4.5 (scr_mysticrealm.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Mystic Realm is a level mod for SRB2 with over 30 stages, a bunch of secrets, and a lot of stuff to do. Being originally created in 2003 and last updated in 2006, Mystic Realm is one of the oldest SRB2 modifications. As such, many of the levels here will likely feel dated nowadays after SRB2 2.0 included far more interesting single player stages with far more depth. On the other hand, an insane amount of love and devotion was put into this, and while the stages lack in modern size and depth, they do still have it where it counts. If you're looking for a bunch of moderately decent single player content or have a nostalgia for older versions of SRB2, Mystic Realm should last you quite a while.

This is a straight port of Mystic Realm thanks to the efforts of Ezer.Arch, Kaysakado, Prime 2.0, and SpiritCrusher. There are a few minor changes to the boss SOC to make it far less painful and unfair and Knuckles can climb walls in SPZ and AGZ again, but for the most part this is exactly as it was four years ago.

Known Issues:

• Completing Mystic Realm Zone (all emerald Sonic clear) does not enable the level select on the save that did so. Instead it unlocks the level select in the secrets menu.
  • There is an extra emblem because SRB2 2.0 has a bug in custom content. Max emblems in this release is actually 76/75.

Attachments

• srb20063.png
    srb20063.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 114,691
  • srb20064.png
    srb20064.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 2,759
  • srb20065.png
    srb20065.png
    189 KB · Views: 2,575
  • srb20066.png
    srb20066.png
    224.5 KB · Views: 2,964
  • srb20068.png
    srb20068.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 2,488
  • srb20069.png
    srb20069.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 2,382
  • srb20067.png
    srb20067.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 2,802
  • scr_mysticrealm.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 18,168
Last edited:
Rosy.wad, Senku.wad, Nitemare.wad, KOTE.wad, Hinote1.1.wad, and Soonata.wad are compatible with Mystic Realm. Espio.wad however is not(he isn't compatible with SRB2 2.0.5 either, for that matter).

I guess I'll just mention here that whatever half-baked port any of you have right now isn't this. It probably has all sorts of bugs, thing layout issues, and of course there isn't a single one out there publicly prior to this that has working bosses.

I've worked quality control with this port myself, and besides a massively cleaned up SOC, fully working custom bosses and enemies, numerous bugs present in 4.4 have been fixed in this version. This is the real deal, and there are no substitutes for the official port of the official unofficial level pack. (Except maybe that thing Neo's doing.)

So enjoy yourselves already! We're 11 days shy of the 4th anniversary of 4.4, you've waited more than long enough for this.

It's about time

I really didn't think this would ever get an update. I've been playing the unofficial ports for a while, thinking that those were the only things we will get. Anyways, I'm going to download this now and give it a whirl.

I was really hoping for some new gimmicks in this new port though I am very happy to see a decent port of this mod. Nothing much to complain about so I'll just leave my comment summary as "good mod kthxbai".

The increase in filesize is mostly because of the inclusion of the OGG file for the old Midnight Freeze track.

Nice, a better port! I'll try it out as soon as possible; I've been getting back into Mystic Realm lately, so this is quite welcome.

Agh, no matter how many times I try, I can NOT get Sonic's Emblem in Jade Coast Act 1! Is there any way to do it besides bouncing on the Crawlas in the lake?

I have to say, that's the only thing I'm irritated about with this new release--the old save files for scr_mysticrealm20v5.wad are not compatible, so I have to start all over again. I've only ever managed to get to that place once as Sonic.

Refresh my memory--what is the best place to leap from to initiate that Crawla bounce?

The water fall area, jump on a crawla in the water to get the starting hight.

I have to say, that's the only thing I'm irritated about with this new release--the old save files for scr_mysticrealm20v5.wad are not compatible, so I have to start all over again.
Blame me. In v4.4 I believe, Mystic added emblems to a few stages that didn't have any beforehand to bump the emblem count up to 75. Of course, he didn't want to break compatibility with old save states, so the emblems were added at the end of the list. To make the MAINCFG less confusing, I took the opportunity to sort them in the correct order because the old save states from v1.09.4 wouldn't work anyway. Of course, the ones from the port betas won't work now, because as far as I know, none of them includes my changes. And no, I didn't care one bit about compatibility with the betas, because you should enjoy hunting for those emblems anyway ;)

Blame me. In v4.4 I believe, Mystic added emblems to a few stages that didn't have any beforehand to bump the emblem count up to 75. Of course, he didn't want to break compatibility with old save states, so the emblems were added at the end of the list. To make the MAINCFG less confusing, I took the opportunity to sort them in the correct order because the old save states from v1.09.4 wouldn't work anyway. Of course, the ones from the port betas won't work now, because as far as I know, none of them includes my changes. And no, I didn't care one bit about compatibility with the betas, because you should enjoy hunting for those emblems anyway ;)
Eh, it's only a minor inconvenience. It's kinda fun to start it all over again. So far, I've collected all the emblems in JCZ and Mudhole Karst and run their Time Attacks, plus I have one save file for each character, all three of which have the first Chaos Emerald and over 20 lives. I'd say that's a pretty good start.

This port is brilliant however, twice I came across an unbeatable robotnik glitch in which he would be in his dying state and not fly away causing me to have to die to restart the level.

This has happened in both PAZ and MRZ which has stopped me from completing the game when I beat him, had to restart with 1 life left and died that time around causing me to die at the finishing point of the game.

Now with this finally ported to 2.0 (with no changes sadly), theres finally a level pack rivalling to Tortured Planet... xD

Haven't done a proper playthrough of the port yet since I've been busy updating all of the Mystic Realm articles on the Wiki, but I just wanted to point out a few bugs.

In Prismatic Angel Acts 1 and 2, the level header says:
Code:
ForceCharacter = 0
ForceCharacter = -1
This breaks the ForceCharacter on those levels. Also, PAZ3 is missing NoPerfectBonus = 1 from its header. You might want to enable it for AGZ3 too, the perfect bonus is ridiculously easy to get in that stage.

ROCKWL08 and ROCKWL09 are rendered redundant by THZCRACK and MMCRACK.

EDIT: And now that I've played through Mystic Realm, one more bug. Since the emerald stages have LevelSelect = 1, any save file that has non-emerald Aerial Garden 4 beaten has easy access to them without having to find the Mystic Temples. The problem is that the only way to fix this is to either move SPStage_End to Mystic Realm Zone or disable LevelSelect for the emerald stages. Personally, If I had to choose, I would take the former since Tails and Knuckles can still get into level select via the unlocked secrets menu.

Oh, and this isn't a bug, but is there any reason why the AGZFLR flats in the WAD are upside down? :x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back