Suggestions

Umm... What the hell? There IS coop mode and not only for two players. You should try to join some coop server and then talk.

Uh guys? Its pretty obvious he's talking about adding split-screen WHILE online.
Which has (no doubt) been discussed before (and if I'm not mistaken, was rejected too).

Its pretty obvious he's talking about adding split-screen WHILE online.
No, it's not. He is not saying that in the least. It's possible that's what he's talking about, but unless he tells us his suggestion there's really no way to know that, is there?

Being specific is incredibly important when you're trying to convey information to others.

The first time SRB2 starts on a Computer it displays a message like "If you didn't download this game from srb2.org, visit it!"

maybe it helps more players?

I have some more suggestions.

1.) A constant-run sector. In S3&K, Mushroom Hill Zone 2's boss used this.
257007-s_k_04_super.gif

You couldn't stop running, and couldn't face the other way. However, in that battle, you could speed up and slow down. Could work like this: A miscellaneous linedef action tagged to a sector with, possibly, the same effect. Linedef length is speed (minimum is 15, maximum is 55) and direction is running direction. If No Climb is set, use walking frames instead of running frames. If Effect 4 is set, the player is unable to jump. If Block Monsters flag is set, the player cannot speed up or slow down.

2.) Egg Rock Zone feels "too easy." The whole zone, not just one act. Maybe because it's unfinished, but there should be something that attracts rings. What I'm trying to suggest is a Jetty-Syn Bomber-esque badnik with a magnet on the bottom. This badnik flies above the player in various parts of the zone. When the player gets hit, they lose rings, right? The rings would fly upward onto that badnik's magnet. When said badnik is destroyed, the rings will fall off the magnet. If you touch the magnet, you will get the rings that you lost. BUT, the robot will only be able to carry 50 rings. This way, nobody can abuse "SETRINGS 9999" to keep depositing 32 rings into the enemy, then pop it and crash the whole server. It's not the best idea, but it is kind of great. Also, it would be comical to see n00bs screaming for us to kill it... XD

3.) When Super Sonic is flying on water, possibly have bigger waves appear. In Sonic 3's intro, Super Sonic flew across the water, and huge waves appeared. Basically, make big waves... Not important, but it feels wierd to see W-shaped splashes behind him when, in Colors, Unleashed, and other modern games (Which SRB2 isn't based on...) there's a / \ -shaped wave on both sides.

4.) A S3&K "mode." You already have pw_lightningshield and others (which are defunct), so why not make a mode for them where Sonic has no momentum change when he thoks, plays the Insta-Shield sound, and spawns an invulnerability sparkle (Object #163) and gets 15 tics of invincibility?

5.) Also, in every classic Sonic game (2, CD, 3, & Knuckles, and 4 if you count it,) Sonic had a dust cloud behind him when revving a Spin Dash. Maybe you could add it to SRB2? It could be easily Sonic Object Configured. Also, maybe a SPINREVITEM and/or GHOSTSPINREVITEM? Three changable objects exist in SOC Editor, and they are thok item, spin item, and a spin-rev item.

I think these would make SRB2 better, but if you don't want to put them in, that's fine with me.

257007-s_k_04_super.gif

You couldn't stop running, and couldn't face the other way. However, in that battle, you could speed up and slow down. Could work like this: A miscellaneous linedef action tagged to a sector with, possibly, the same effect. Linedef length is speed (minimum is 15, maximum is 55) and direction is running direction. If No Climb is set, use walking frames instead of running frames. If Effect 4 is set, the player is unable to jump. If Block Monsters flag is set, the player cannot speed up or slow down.

I believe ACZ3 will have something like this, according to this page.

EDIT: Great, ninja'd. =/

Thanks okay, maybe this can be done. but I think you can already do that with the teleport.

2.) Egg Rock Zone feels "too easy."

NO.

3.) When Super Sonic is flying on water, possibly have bigger waves appear. In Sonic 3's intro, Super Sonic flew across the water, and huge waves appeared. Basically, make big waves... Not important, but it feels wierd to see W-shaped splashes behind him when, in Colors, Unleashed, and other modern games (Which SRB2 isn't based on...) there's a / \ -shaped wave on both sides.

The game already has that?

4.) A S3&K "mode." You already have pw_lightningshield and others (which are defunct), so why not make a mode for them where Sonic has no momentum change when he thoks, plays the Insta-Shield sound, and spawns an invulnerability sparkle (Object #163) and gets 15 tics of invincibility?

That would work well, But the sprites wouldn't change. (Because green one is default one)

5.) Also, in every classic Sonic game (2, CD, 3, & Knuckles, and 4 if you count it,) Sonic had a dust cloud behind him when revving a Spin Dash. Maybe you could add it to SRB2? It could be easily Sonic Object Configured. Also, maybe a SPINREVITEM and/or GHOSTSPINREVITEM? Three changable objects exist in SOC Editor, and they are thok item, spin item, and a spin-rev item.

Maybe it would affect the view, or if you make "little" it would work, too.

Some would work, mostly will not.

(spoiler'd because its long)

This isn't all that important, but I also suggest making Eggman's jet fumes/propeller harm the player, like in S3&K where they harmed the player. All you'd need to do is add MF_FIRE and MF_SPECIAL to the jet fumes and propeller in SOC Editor. But then, what about underwater? I think MF_ALWAYSHURT should be put into SRB2 (although I forgot what EXE it was from). Would be useful for mods, et cetera.

EDIT: Also, when Knuckles glides into an object with MF_BOSS, I think you should make him bounce off in his "falling animations" like S3&K also.

Special stages will now be played like NiGHTs tracks
I'm sorry wat.
Who made this suggestion? And it needs more explanation, I mean, your obviously not playing as Super Sonic trough these... right? So what, are they gonna be like, the "Sonic 2" special stages or something?

I'm sorry wat.
Who made this suggestion? And it needs more explanation, I mean, your obviously not playing as Super Sonic trough these... right? So what, are they gonna be like, the "Sonic 2" special stages or something?
It's not a suggestion, it's a fact. And they're gonna be just like Spring Hill (although I don't know if they'll have 3D areas). I don't know if you play through these as Super Sonic (which would raise the question where he got those emeralds from when he's still busy collecting them) or as Sonic though.

Object flag: attach Z object position to the ceiling/floor height

Attaches the object to the ceiling or floor height. If a sector plane moves up or down, the object will actually "follow" the plane movement.

Scenery, hazards (spikes and spikeballs) and auxiliary object (e.g. Chain (Hang)) could be attached to the plane height, if the plane moves up or down, the object will follow the plane at perfect synch, even if the object has Z offset (which must be preserved). Then, crushers with spikes and vertical movable hang-chains would be possible.

ObjectPlaneMovement.png

Currently, if the object has NOGRAVITY flag, the sector planes can pull the objects but can't push them back; this is normal considering the object has no gravity and is not attached to the planes. Even if the object had gravity (and thing flag 1 to gravflip it), it will not follow the plane movement since the place moves at a constant speed, and the object falls by acceleration.

For instance, place some scenery chains or spikeballs to the ceiling and (by linedef executor) move down the ceiling, the objects are pushed down; now move the ceiling up, they will "float" in mid-air. This isn't desired for most moving hazards you could think of.

SOLUTION: make the linedef type search for the objects that are set in the sector, then get their z-height, and increment or decrement the z-height of every object as the plane moves (plane speed == z-height change).

Otherwise, making every object check the plane height would cause a lot of lag. Better a linedef changing the z-height of a bunch of things passively than every thing actively checking the plane height and changing themselves their z-height.

Object flag: carry objects/players that are standing upon

This is simple: if, for instance, a pushable object is moving, anything that stands upon it will be carried. Example: a gargoyle is placed on a conveyor belt and the player stands on it. The player is carried together.

Last edited:
I have another suggestion: Some helping stuff for the rookies.

I am used to present SRB2 to friend of mine and I can see they've got many difficulty of how to control, where to go, what to do, how to reach the goal and even if I teach hem, they won't make it fully. So I think SRB2 should have signs, or orbs (SADX) or question marks (Sonic Heroes) on the way to help new players in what to do, or where to go, some cheesy tip, or even better: A tutorial stage.

I think you developers should think of that carefully.

Or they could just make a REAL tutorial stage so there'd be no excuses for anything, including Green Flower Zone's horribly short and dull factor...

Too bad it none of these 2 suggestions would happen as they've been answered before.

Actually Iceman Mystic DID say that GFZ1 is going to be changed to act more as a tutorial, IIRC. Or was it "introduction"?...

The best explanation I've ever seen is this explanation of the "tutorial" in SMB1: http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=465

We all knew SMB1 was a brilliant game, but analyzing the first stages of of the Mario games in this light really shows how well designed they really are. SMB3 and SMW have very similar level design in the early levels that helps new players understand the mechanics, without being a blatant "do this" tutorial.

Linedef Type 191 - new linedef flag: don't go back if player stops charging spindash (aka Lava Reef Zone's spindash-powered elevator)

SRB2Wiki says:
Linedef Type 191 is a non-shadowcasting FOF that will rise at a constant speed when jumped or stepped upon by a player. The FOF will return to its original position, at a slower rate, when the player is no longer standing upon it.
(...)
If the Not Climbable flag is set, the player will be required to charge a spindash while standing on the platform to make it rise.
SK3's Lava Reef Zone had a kind of elevator that rises or lowers when the player charges a spindash while standing on it, and if you stop, the elevator stops too, which isn't possible in SRB2, if I'm not wrong.

I'd like to have a linedef flag that doesn't allow the FOF go back if the player stops charging spindash.

Last edited:
SK3's Lava Reef Zone had a kind of elevator that rises or lowers when the player charges a spindash while standing on it, and if you stop, the elevator stops too, which isn't possible in SRB2, if I'm not wrong.

I'd like to have a linedef flag that doesn't allow the FOF go back if the player stops charging spindash.
This is precisely the behavior I wanted when I requested the spindash rising FOF, but nobody listened... :( The current one is nearly useless because you need to jump in order to cancel the spindash, and jumping causes the FOF to return to its original position.

You could still do things like in Sonic 3D's Volcano Valley, which I'm honestly surprised no one's ever tried, but I'd still like a flag that would make it wait a bit before falling back down.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 9, Members: 0, Guests: 9)

Back