July/August 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, now I played the correct level and I'll give my real rates:

Sapphire Coast Zone - 10
Loved your custom enemies. Loved the "boss" to pass the secret door. Loved your sceneries.(I think it should be 9/10 because of the bunch of sceneries, making the level a bit odd,some others things and some slime trails, but its Ok) The gameplay is great and the secret is very good, I realy loved this level.

:(

stairway_to_srm.png

Two months early, but in the wrong contest, I guess...

SCZ1 has been in the works for more than two months. Looks nice, though.

Also, about the lily pads. Originally, the level was ment to be a swamp, but was revamped into SCZ. The water was originally damaging swamp water, and you'd cross on the lily pads.

Last edited:
Posted by SpiritCrusher
Since you're French, I will try to keep my words simple.

The first room looked great and had a lot of nice detail. The flashing walls at the entrance hurt my eyes, however, and you should remove them. Both the door and the button that opened it were disappointing? Why does the door to such a huge building look so simple, and why can I open it by just pressing a button in front of it. A building like this will be secured, and the way to open the door should be more complex. Also, why does the door wait three seconds before opening? I didn't have anything to do in that time apart from waiting. Another problem is that you had too many enemies. I often ran into them because there were too many.

The textures you used for the level looked bad. They are so yellow that they hurt my eyes. They also didn't fit the theme. The wall textures are normally used for ice levels, and the floor textures are used for special stages. They didn't fit the theme of your level, and because of that, it didn't feel like a real level. It didn't feel like I was in a palace because the textures didn't look like a palace. Try to use textures that fit better, it really improves the quality of your level. I liked how the city part and the 2D section looked, and I liked the details you put into your level.

The gameplay had a lot of effects that removed the control from the player. For example, you used teleporters for a cool effect, but they were useless and just wasted time. Other things I found were button pressing, elevators that were activated simply by entering them, a weird puzzle that could be solved in seconds by just jumping on every number, and doors that took too long to open. Much of your level felt like a cutscene, and I didn't have much to do except for running and waiting. The slippery floors made little sense (why are they slippery?) and the 2D section didn't have anything interesting. There wasn't much platforming, but the city part where you had to jump on the big car was fun. There was alos just one path. You should have more than one way to go, so players can choose where to go.

There are two things you need to improve for future levels. The first is the texturing. The second is that you should have more engaging gameplay. Your level basically "played itself". Try to focus more on platforming and less on special effects, like you did in the city part in the middle of the level. Your sense for detail and architecture are already very good, but some parts of the level had more detail than others.

It deep as remark. I will never have the courage to unearth such details.

I understand you perfectly for textures. But when you talk of gadgets, "gameplay", I have a small hole. What do you mean by platform? You mean Sonic hates to wait, I have to creating fast passages?
In any case, my father bought me Sonic Unleashed and I learned a lot about the levels of Sonic through the levels presented in this game (L. Design)
I understand that I have to create roads, a main passage, then a bit different passages that contain hidden box, or passages that are risky shortcuts or contain bonus to Sonic, which provoke him ? ==> And also shorten the time that Sonic must wait at certain events?
Whether it's "only" major problems to solve, I can undertake it at my next wad. (I hope). If you know a site that gives advice about building ... I'm interested. The "Level Design 101" of the SRB2 WIKI don't help me a lot.

All my gratitude.

Did you play any old the old Sonic games? Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles. That's the design we prefer over here.

Sonic Unleashed uses a different design philosophy and a different engine. If you want to study level design, then look at the well-known levels designed for SRB2, starting with levels like GFZ and ACZ which are probably the best examples of basic platforming and layout that SRB2 has to offer. Blue Heaven, Acid Missile, and Mystic Realm are extremely dated by now but you might still learn something from them. Just make sure that you use your own ideas in the end.

Although "Sonic hates to wait" is an excellent observation. This is something that is true both in SRB2 and in Sonic Unleashed and potentially more so in the latter when the physics system didn't work when you weren't moving fast.
If the player slows down, it should be because they need to be more careful, not because they're watching the same special effect for the third time. This is not Metroid Prime 3, we do not need to make the player pause before the doors in order to disguise loading times.

-------------------

I just played through all of the levels, probably want to look at a few again before I score them but here are my first impressions.

Golden Palace Zone by Internet Explorer

Most of the gimmicks seemed to be for show and not really add anything to the gameplay. The texturing was also very difficult to focus on, using colors that would normally be used to give occasionally decorate a darker level.

Emerald Lake Zone, Act 1 by glaber

It was particularly annoying trying to find my way around here. The invisible walls, deep water, and the fact that many of the areas looked identical all played a part in getting me lost--and worse yet, when I ended up escaping the dead end, I never figured out how I managed to do it.

Lava Reef Zone by WEREHOG

This level was not particularly interesting in any way. The arrangement of the platforms at the beginning did not make it clear which way went forward, and the ladder was frustrating.

Aqua Relic Zone by furythehog

I honestly can't remember very much about this level. It didn't really have much to stand out against the sea of DSZ clones.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 1 by Blade

I really like how this level turned out, and though I could still nitpick those textures its nice to see that they look good here. I might recommend getting a lily-pad flat which would work similarly to the tree trunks that I made as I really don't like the way the seaweed looks. The leaves on the trees kinda bother me too.
The enemies offered some interesting paths toward secrets. I liked the recolor of IFZ's water even if it wasn't animated. The gameplay was simple but entertaining: just what I'd want from the first stage of a mod.

Hooray, I finally get around to judging levels again! It's been a while.

Single Player:

Golden Palace Zone by Internet Explorer: 6/10
Eh, it's alright. You kind of need more variety with the enemies, but other than that, the gimmicks, a fair amount of difficulty, and a way to unlock lots of rings make this a decent level.

Emerald Lake Zone, Act 1 by glaber: 4/10
This is a level with lots of potential. If there were more incentives to take the underwater path, this level would get a higher score. (or maybe I haven't found them yet?) Oh, and annoying invisible (CLIMBABLE?!?) walls must be revealed and destroyed!

Lava Reef Zone by WEREHOG: 4/10
It got pretty confusing at times; I didn't know what path I really should have taken, especially at the two paths after the second checkpoint. Also, there's a major flaw in the rising lava path. It is possible to fail that path (guaranteed, if using Sonic) without getting crushed or falling into a bottomless pit (there is none!), and if you have the Elemental Shield on, you don't take damage from the lava, and you can't drown in it. If that happens, you can't die in there, and you can't escape! You're trapped in there forever!!!!!

Aqua Relic Zone, by furythehog: 7/10
Actually pretty good. Alternate pathways are good (although if they lead nowhere, you may want to put more than one reward in them so the player feels satisfied), plus a creative security system for the Extra Life Monitor made this one of my favorites.

Sapphire Coast Zone by Blade: 7/10
I love the new enemy. It's cool how it flies in a straight line and then fire a shot at you. The level is simplistic enough, and I know there's emblems in here! (don't know how to get to them, though :/)

Single Player Overall: 5.6/10
OK, there's some pretty cool levels here, but there's also some with good potential to be better. At the very least Glaber is getting over his "Levels of the Syndrome" phase. :D

Multiplayer will hopefully be judged by the deadline.

Last edited:
Even without being revealed, they are being destroyed right now for the next version.

But when you talk of gadgets, "gameplay", I have a small hole. What do you mean by platform? You mean Sonic hates to wait, I have to creating fast passages?
Yes, Sonic hates to wait, that's part of it. On the other hand, Sonic doesn't like to run all the time either. Make him jump from time to time.

I understand that I have to create roads, a main passage, then a bit different passages that contain hidden box, or passages that are risky shortcuts or contain bonus to Sonic, which provoke him ? ==> And also shorten the time that Sonic must wait at certain events?
There should be more than one main passage. Look at the official levels. Give the player a choice between two or more passages.

The "Level Design 101" of the SRB2 WIKI don't help me a lot.
Well, the SRB2 Wiki mentions all of these important things. It probably didn't help you because of your language problem. Try to find somebody who can translate it to you, if possible. If you can't, just look at the official SRB2 levels and try to find out how they work.

Saphire Coast Zone: 5/10
It's good, but you are trying too hard: new textures, new thingtypes, new sky. Seriously? I am unimpressed.
Golden Palace Zone: 5/10
It's quite fun, has some cool gimmicks, and uses pretty textures. The problem is that you tried too hard as well. I don't need custom stuff.
Sorry, what? "You're trying too hard" is a ridiculous reason for such a rating, especially since it's your only reason. From what you're saying, a level is automatically worse if it has custom content.

Everyone here can have their reasons..... But THESE are completely absurd.If you don't have any very good reasons to give your rate, simply don't rate.

NOTE: I don't rate because I'm too lazy to do it. =P

EDIT: I'm not rating, but I played all of these levels and they're all good.And I'll defend one:

Mystery Cheese said:
Saphire Coast Zone: 5/10
It's good, but you are trying too hard: new textures, new thingtypes, new sky. Seriously? I am unimpressed.
Ok, UNIMPRESSED with Sapphire Coast?!?!? My good man..... I think you're trying to be a "judge of stone". Simply imitating Kyasarin(sorry if I mentioned you, but I need of an exemple =P ) won't make the people guess that you're cool. And especially with the doom engine, the perfection is toooo far from any level maker, independently of how good he is.

Last edited:
Ok, UNIMPRESSED with Sapphire Coast?!?!? My good man..... I think you're trying to be a "judge of stone". Simply imitating Kyasarin(sorry if I mentioned you, but I need of an exemple =P ) won't make the people guess that you're cool. And especially with the doom engine, the perfection is toooo far from any level maker, independently of how good he is.
Well, Kyasarin doesn't give absurdly retarded reasons to rate down maps.

Too simple? Emerald Lake is suppose to be level 1 of my planned mod. Its target difficulty was suppose to be easy to normal depending on the path you take.

I'll give you the invisible wall though.

Ok, time to do the Single Player Division. Starting Now.

Aqua Relic Act 1: 3/10

It was boring, bland, and very very dragging. The fact there is hardly anything to do except hold the move buttons and jump loads just bored me to death. Add some more scenery, more gimmicks, more areas. A few parts were ok, but it needs work.

Lava Reef Act 1: 3/10

Yet another boring & bland level. A few visuals were nice, but most of it was dull, confusing (it was very easy to get lost) and some parts were impossible to get through without falling through the lava and damaging yourself. You can also get stuck in the 2D Areas if you enter it at a certain speed and you get errors with one of the paths too. Add some life to it because it does have potential, oh yeah not to mention gimmicks.

Emerald Lake Act 1: 4/10

I can see you are starting to get better, but again, there are some flaws. First, you have scattered death pits around the level and too many of them can result in easy cheap deaths. 2nd is you only rely on 1 type of enemy. Try and use at least 2 or 3 different kinds at least, and add a couple of hazards to make it more challenging. Another issue is you can climb on invisible walls though I don't know if that's something to do with the game, or the actual linedefs. It is also bland as hell, add some life to it by adding scenery as I saw some flowers, but it still felt really empty. I quite liked the background though.

Golden Palace Act 1: 5/10

The reason why the score isn't higher are several reasons. 1, too many flashing lights and bright areas caused major eye rape. 2. The lack of texture variation didn't help matters much either and 3. Parts of the level were either very cramped or were a bit bland. I quite liked some of the gimmicks and the scenery at the start though so I have to give props to you for that.

Sapphire Coast Act 1: 7/10

This level is actually quite good. It has some stunning visuals and has that retro feeling to it. My only concerns that it was way too easy and was quite short, then again it is the first zone and some areas were a bit cluttered with scenery. Also for the cave like areas, you could darken them a bit as they are too bright as well. Otherwise, nice job on it.

Overall SP: Average, some entries could be better, but not disasterous.

Who is Kryasin anyway?
Oh man, when I wrote that post, I was in a baaaaad mood (Got beat up by my evil sister), but I'll keep it there for historical references =P
SCZ: 8/10
It's really fun and the asthetics are awesome :D
ELZ: 6/10
I don't like the invisible walls, but the levels is fun overall.
LRZ: 4/10
I got confused alot, but there were fun parts.
GPZ: 9/10
COOL STUFF MAN! :D
ARZ: 6/10
I liked this because it reminded me of Deep Sea, yet it didn't replicate anything from it. It was fun and the overall design was cool.

Last edited:
Who is Kryasin anyway?
hi i'm "kryasin"

Oh man, when I wrote that post, I was in a baaaaad mood (Got beat up by my evil sister), but I'll keep it there for historical references =P
Horrible excuse. And it just happened to be that way when people criticize you?

SLZ: 8/10
It's really fun and the asthetics are awesome :D
Still a really bad review. You really aren't describing anything at all. And I don't see how the hell you can just think a level is worthy of an 8/10 when you haven't before.

Um, so what level is SLZ anyway? Oh and Kyasarin, people don't need to give reviews, not to mention good ones.

EDIT: Nvm about that SLZ thing, since you corrected it.

Does one want me to start ranting on about how crookedly psychotic my sister is?
No, all we want you to do is rate various stages with numbers between 0 and 10, fairly and with as little bias as possible, and give logical reasonings for those ratings. The quality of these stages has absolutely nothing to do with your mood or any siblings you may happen to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back