Chip's Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chengi

I like your attitude!
Kart Krew™️
Anyone remember Chip's Challenge? If you don't, it's an old PC/Mac game, where you'd go around collecting chips, items, keys, and avoid hazards to complete various levels. The game is very addicting, the puzzles are interesting, and they're very fun to solve. The game has certain difficulty, so it's hard to play at first, but that keeps you playing for more. There are a mass of over 100 levels, so it's not a short game.

Screenshots:

Level_118.png

Level_70.png

Discuss.

A non-FoxBlitzz making a topic on Chip's Challenge is like a non-FoxBlitzz wearing a Yoshi avatar. Weird.

Anyways, those who don't own the game should look at Tile World, a Chip's Challenge "emulator". Even those who do own it should really consider downloading this, because it's a great open source reimplementation with some nice enhancements. It's accurate to the point where only a few obscure glitches from the original games (Microsoft and Lynx rulesets) fail to work correctly. It's more responsive that the original Microsoft Chip's Challenge (you don't move an extra square half a second after releasing the key), is more friendly with custom levels, and it has a nifty built-in replay system that automatically records your fastest solutions.

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tworld/

Just like with Doom source ports, you can't legally use the original level set with Tile World unless you actually own the game. You are free to use any custom levels, however. You can choose to download CCLP2 bundled, which is a collection of hand-picked community-made levels. They're significantly harder than the originals, so watch out!

Various level editors are available. I've been using CCEdit (which has a couple issues that result in weird saving behavior - running from the editor and then saving will save into the temp file instead of the one you actually opened, for example). It seems that there's yet another editor that's even newer than CCEdit, so I ought to try that out.

64-bit Linux users beware: Tile World seems to be having issues with reading the solutions file for a given level set when running as a 64-bit program. Any advice on how I would get around this would be greatly appreciated. I've gotten quite far on my Windows save, and on Linux it seems I will need to either compile as 32-bit (which sounds difficult) or somehow fix the bug that's causing the incorrect behavior on 64-bit.

I have Chip's Challenge on the cell phone, and although it looks different, it has the same levels and all.
Chip on the go!

There's also a clone of Chip's Challenge available for GBA and DS, known as "Codename Hacker". It comes packed with the original levels (I'm not sure about the legality of this, but nobody seems to mind) and a custom level pack. As far as I can tell you can't add your own custom levels, which is a shame, but it's still a fine piece of homebrew. Plus, in my opinion it has the best tileset of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back