Cirno Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime 2.0

I don't mention Touhou very often on the MB, but today I thought I would make an exception to that.

For those of you who have no idea what this topic is about, a short explanation is in order. There are a few links in it, so please excuse how the current forum software is not yet setup to make them obvious.

Touhou is a series of vertically scrolling shoot-em-ups(think Raiden, R-Type, Gradius) with a focus on dodging complex, and difficult patterns of bullets, made possible by a hitbox that is smaller than your character's sprite. We call it Danmaku, most everyone else calls it bullet hell. The characters you play as however are not flying in ships, but flying(and shooting) with magic. The series is also notable for having been largely produced by a single person(ZUN).

The character at hand here is Cirno, who debuted as the stage 2 boss of Touhou 6: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. She made a name for herself with her stupidity(as well as her belief that she is the smartest and strongest person in Gensokyo, where the games take place), and for having the easiest attack in the history of the series.

She appeared again as a stage 1 midboss in the next game, and once again as a playable character in Touhou 9, and most recently in the latest fighting game spinoff, Unthinkable Natural Law. But it was in the manual of the 9th game where her memetic status truly took off.

The screen layout page of touhou 9 marked Cirno as (9). For those who cannot read the footnotes, the one for (9) simply reads "idiot"... though the pronunciation of the Japanese word used is "baka". It's been a meme ever since.

So with a date like 9/9/09, the connection should be obvious.

So those of you who already knew, what are you going to do for it? For those who have just found out, what do you think of the spectacle?

Discuss.

Last edited:
What am I going to do for it?

I've arranged for "Cirno" to pay a visit to some forums I moderate and host several forum games while everything goes nuts. And changed my avatar, which is supposed to be a big deal.

This includes a brand new forum theme, brand new smilies, admin abuse to change everyone's avatar to something Cirno related. So far only a couple have been online, and their reaction was fairly predictable, but I've still got evil plans cooking.

So in other words, basically April Fools Day frozen over.

Touhou is a series of vertically scrolling shoot-em-ups(think Raiden, R-Type, Gradius)

Both of those games are horizontal Prime_2, know your shumps. :P

And, no I won't do it because I haven't played touhou, or really have desire to. I am not as much as a shump fan as I used to be. Even if I was, I don't like the style in gameplay and in concept.

I was referring more to the fact that they were shmups than the orientation of their scrolling, Torgo. Gradius and R-type are pretty well known, so I thought they would be good examples to give.

It's a silly holiday, and no one I know would get it, so all I did today was doodle a picture of Cirno on all my schoolwork, noting to mark the date as ⑨-⑨-⑨. Hopefully I've weirded out a sufficient quota of the school faculty.

cp_dustbowl0043.jpg

Crappy 9 is crappy

baka baka~ baka baka~ baka baka~
BAKA BAKA!

Can't help it, sorry. It's Cirno day, after all.

As for me, I spent the day in quiet celebration with JEV3, and taking some time to watch the chaos unfold at the forums he mentioned, having had a hand in the orchestration of the event. That, and I made this topic and changed my avatar to this.

I have just been playing Touhou all day to celebrate Cirno day, so nothing much realy.
Nice edit of your avatar Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back