Does the Mb need more judges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just making a suggestion for all of the complaints that people have made. I did not actually agree with them.
When I said "I don't have a life", I meant that it's not the kind of life that everyone else has. My life is the computer.
Mystic, would that be consided avoiding the release system (or whatever it's called)? I have not actually read the topic, I have just seen the title.

When I said "I don't have a life", I meant that it's not the kind of life that everyone else has. My life is the computer.
Oh, I knew what you meant. That's exactly the thing we wouldn't try to encourage. I personally even actively discourage it, but not in my role as a Judge here.

Mystic, would that be consided avoiding the release system (or whatever it's called)? I have not actually read the topic, I have just seen the title.
If it was rule-breaking, he wouldn't have suggested it. You can post WIPs in Editing, and they stay open for a month, IIRC. Then they get closed and you have to release your work. Of course, this only applies to unfinished stuff. You can't post something complete in Editing.

Posting in editing is just a temporary step for when you're either stuck and don't know how to continue, or have your work halfway done and you want to get some feedback from the community about how to improve it or if it's even worth continuing. It's not for releases, it's for getting help with your work. You still need to go through submissions when you're done.

Except that we really don't want to encourage people to not have a life.

You have a point, and you've convinced me otherwise. I think it's time to close this thread.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

It's not serving any purpose other than a battle ground for arguments

On another forum I was on, the admins handed their jobs over to people who didn't have a "private life" which took up all of their time. They didn't have time to do their job as staff so they gave it to people who did. I honestly think the same principle should apply here. As much as I think a "single week" might be a good time for you, I think that if there's someone who DOES have the time to get an evaluation (and it be a good one) done in the time of one day, then I think those are the people who should be getting the job as a judge. You can argue that "we don't want to support 'no life-ness'" all you want, but even if I don't make wads, I personally think that we should get people who are a lot more efficient when it comes to this type of thing, 'no life' or not. It would only be good since these people would like to actually judge these things AND at the same time not care about not getting payed. This "we don't get this done as soon as possible because we're not getting payed" is what I'm talking about. Give the job to someone who can do it sooner, and not care about getting payed.

You'd have a good point if we had people who are willing to do the job, have that much time, and are actually competent enough. If you find somebody like that, please tell us. But I'm not quite sure there is somebody like that.

As a matter of fact, I can test wads in the middle of the week, I'm still in school, and I can use the school computers during lunch. I also have an eye for bugs, I found 3 bugs in srb2 in one month (all of which were reported). I hate to toot my own horn, but I think I could assist the judging effort somehow.

Last edited:
The question is: Are you competent enough? As long as you don't prove that in some way, we won't believe you.

I feel as though I could help the judging effort somehow, if you can send me an example for me to judge, then you can judge my competence spiritcrusher.

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

Actually, I could probably do that myself.

Uhhh, what exactly are you talking about? Sending a wad to judge (which I mentioned in the previous post), or do you want to help with the judging effort

If you want to show how well you can judge a WAD, then judge the level design contest maps (or OLDC maps).

The ones that get rejected are usually ones that are game breaking maps (think of unclosed sectors and such). If you can help explain why the maps are game breaking and how to fix it without frustrating the user, then you might be a candidate.

You should see some of Spirit Crusher´s coments in map contest. When i read them i understood why is he judge.

I feel as though I could help the judging effort somehow, if you can send me an example for me to judge, then you can judge my competence spiritcrusher.
That's not how it works. You show that you are able to do the job by, for example, voting in the contest or giving critique on other releases. If you're really good at it, somebody will ask you if you want to do it. Also, don't ask for it constantly, that will ruin your chances more than anything. Usually, a judge is not something you'd desperately want to become either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back