• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[Project]Porting Doom E1M1 to SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few days ago, I decided I'd decided to port the Doom levels to SRB2, as From research, I found not very many people, or maybe even no people have done it. I've got lots of progress on E1M1 and after it's done, other levels will be much easier to port. The only problems, I have found are: One of the textures doesn't display properly, you can go through walls that aren't usually accessible in DOOM, nothing animates, Goal Post doesn't work, and a few other minor ones.
--------------------------------------------------
If you want to see it I've posted a video on YouTube showing gameplay of the WAD.
Here's the link: Video
-------------------------------------------------
If people request a download link, I will add one.

I've actually already done this before, back in... 1.08, I think. Didn't get around to implementing textures, though (SRB2 had issues with most PNAMES/TEXTURE1 editing software at the time like XWE, and I hadn't yet figured out the comparatively simple custom Doom Flats methodology either; now we have SLADE to make this simpler all around).

You'll want to use invisible FOFs around the paper-thin walls that the Doomguy couldn't go through, incidentally. Sonic can thok through walls that are thinner than 32 fracunits or so.

Also, you'll probably want to make the map about twice as big, if you haven't already, because a 1:1 scale will be far too small for SRB2.

If you're doing a proper port of E1M1, though, you'll want to use some Linedef Executors to simulate the tripwire linedefs of the actual stage. eg: walking into the penultimate room will lower the tall platform in the slime room, revealing a secret area, while walking over the change in lighting level just before the slime room lowers the platform to the secret area inside the secret area.

Not really. Here's how I'd do it (this is written assuming the reader doesn't know anything about linedef executors, so apologies if you already know this and as such I'd be talking down to you):

1. Set up the trigger sector. Tag it to a new Each Time linedef.
  2. Use Linedef Type 403 (Move Tagged Sector's Floor) to move the platform to the lowered height. Be sure to check Block Enemies, and set the X-offset of the texture to another Each Time. The length of the linedef should be 16, I believe (no Doom wiki is being particularly forthright as to the normal speed of platforms, so I'm hazarding a guess that it's 2FU/tic).
  3. For the second each time, use another Linedef Type 403 to raise it back to the original height - but this time, you can omit Block Enemies, but will want to toggle Upper Unpegged, and have another sector behind it with a floor of 0 and a height of 105. This is a delay; it won't execute until 105 tics after the trigger is first called. This will emulate Doom's delay for platform lowering. Make sure the little notch in the middle of the linedef is facing away from the 105-height sector.
  4. For added flair, add in some custom sounds and call Linedef Type 414 (Play Sound Effect), with Effect 5 checked and tagged to the same sector that's moving up and down, at the start and end of each movement. eg:
    • Suppose the "lift start" sound is DSFRE001 (Sound #291), and "lift end" is DSFRE002 (#292). Have two more linedef executors, Continuous this time; one which calls 414 for #291, and one which calls 414 for #292. They will do nothing else.
    • Add a Linedef Type 450 (Call Linedef Executor) to the beginning of the first sector, and have it call the lift start sound effect executor.
    • Add a Linedef Type 450 to the beginning of the second sector, and have it call the lift end sound effect executor.
    • Add a Linedef Type 450 just after the "raise platform" executor, with the same time-offset sector on its backside and Upper Unpegged checked (it should run after 105 tics/3 seconds), and have it call the lift start sound effect executor.
    • Modify the raise platform executor to call the lift end sound effect executor.
Complicated workaround to replicate what used to be built-in, but it should work like a charm, provided you follow that to the letter.

You'll also want to double the size of the textures if your doubling the size to match. And double the height so that height of the textures match. I've also made an E1M1 port, just need to find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back