Is there anyway of SOCing a Boss HP Meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
I was thinking of making something like this for the eggman bosses only, like if there is eggman and he sees you, the meter will pop up, showing how much HP he has left.

The range for it is 1-20, to avoid it being to more than 20+ which makes the meter go off the screen.

Here are a couple of the sprites, made by me.

An example screenshot. (Copy pasted the thing.)

Would this work with a SOC, or does it have to be an EXE?

*Note: Those red numbers may range to 0-9, but since it will only show the red if the Bosses HP falls to 1.4 of it. Say its Max is 20 and it has 5 left, thats 1/4 of its HP.

Why do people think that everything can be done with SOCs? Why is it that people prefer simple SOCs than exes that can be better?

1.1 should have a more flexible way for editing the HUDs. Now, the thing is, how should it be done, because probably it won't be easy to choose what to put in and what to don't, without leaving it too lacking of features or having too much stuff :/

Chaos said:
Why do people think that everything can be done with SOCs? Why is it that people prefer simple SOCs than exes that can be better?

Because most people want their work to be compatible with the current version of SRB2, rather than having to create a custom EXE for a tiny feature like a health bar.

The alterations to the HUD that SOCs can create are limited to repositioning existing pieces. Perhaps if you felt like sacrificing the entire remainder of the HUD for this one bit, you might be able to use A_LinedefExecute, and RUNSOC to change between HUD altering SOCs in realtime, but you'd still be limited to about 5 HP.

But, most of the Sonic bosses have 8 hp, and final has 10 or 12. So why would he be limited to 5 hp?

Chrome the hedgehog said:
But, most of the Sonic bosses have 8 hp, and final has 10 or 12. So why would he be limited to 5 hp?
Because there aren't enough things to use. Basically, what Draykon said was to sacrifice some of the HUD pieces to be used as the life bar - each one would have a different value. Then you would put them all offscreen, except the one that would be shown. That's why you're limited, because there aren't enough pieces to sacrifice to do it.

Notepad? :P

Anyways, you still need to compile it, so you have to go and get a C compiler (SRB2 is in C). They often come with an IDE, so you can edit the files with them too.

Sik said:
Because there aren't enough things to use. Basically, what Draykon said was to sacrifice some of the HUD pieces to be used as the life bar - each one would have a different value. Then you would put them all offscreen, except the one that would be shown. That's why you're limited, because there aren't enough pieces to sacrifice to do it.

That makes sencer, but I just had another thought, could you add to the HUD with SOCs? Or would you need an exe for that?

Sik said:

That makes sencer, but I just had another thought, could you add to the HUD with SOCs? Or would you need an exe for that?

An EXE mod me thinks.

I didn't play that...But the first one was your generic 8 hits, which took forever because the boss just played with you and barely ever came in to finish you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back