Perm Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Hosting an SRB2 game server takes a lot of bandwidth and CPU power, so it really wouldn't be practical at this point.

However, there is a list server that's up 24/7. To use it, first find the file "config.cfg" in your SRB2 directory and open it with a text editor (Notepad works). Look for a line like the following:

masterserver "srb2.ssntails.org:28910"

Change it to:

masterserver "srb2.servegame.org:28910"

and save. If you use OpenGL, make the same change in the "glconfig.cfg" file.

Having done that once, you'll now be able to use the list server. There are three ways you can find games:

1. Check the list at http://srb2.servegame.org/srb2ms_status.php.
2. Stop by the IRC channel #srb2general or #srb2fun on irc.esper.net, and type !gamelist.
3. At the title screen, press ` (backquote) to bring down the console. Type in "listserv" and any active netgames will show up, with their IP addresses.

Note that in all of these cases you're accessing the same list. If you can't find any games one way, you won't find any the other two ways either. However the IRC channel has the advantage that you can ask about a netgame and someone else might be interested.

If there are no games, you can always host one. Set the "advertise to Internet" option in the hosting menu to Yes, and your server will show up on the list - which might get you random visitors, although you're a lot more likely to find people if you mention the server in one or both of the aforementioned IRC channels.

If people report being unable to join your games (ie, you can't successfully host), chances are you have a firewall or local network that won't let them connect. In this case, check out the wonderfully extensive instructions provided at PortForward.com - they can help you get around the problem.

Have fun!

Unfortunately some people who go to the web site are so stupid that editing a file in Notepad is not within their abilities. But don't worry! Come the next version, the list server will work out of the box.

Did I miss the meeting where a441 left, cause I haven't seen him in a while. What happened?

The large majority of the community did, actually. However, I'm willing to bet it coincided with the move from AIRC #srb2 to Esper #srb2fun.

No, there was no meeting.

A441 left before the move back to esper.

bigboi said:
I haven't seen him in a while. What happened?

Session Start: Fri Apr 29 23:40:22 2005
Session Ident: graue
Session Ident: graue (piecrust@ip68-100-130-21.dc.dc.cox.net)
<graue> hi
<OmegaHedgehog> ...a441, is that you? O_O
<graue> i'm graue, what's up?
<OmegaHedgehog> So is that a yes? o.o'
<graue> i did use that nickname
<graue> what is your point?
<OmegaHedgehog> JTE's been trying to contact you, you know
<OmegaHedgehog> You might want to msg him and ask what's up
<graue> i talked to him earlier today
<OmegaHedgehog> Ah
<OmegaHedgehog> Well, cool
<OmegaHedgehog> Why aren't you on anymore?
<OmegaHedgehog> ;_;
<graue> if you need me, there's email, graue@oceanbase.org
<graue> irc is a bad habit
<graue> try and kick it, ok?
<OmegaHedgehog> What about the SRB2 boards?
<OmegaHedgehog> It'd be hard, but I can try ^_^
<graue> well, they were sort of a bad habit too
<OmegaHedgehog> Heh, I guess 10 minutes on my part was wasted trying to hopelessly private message you, then ^_^;
<OmegaHedgehog> Wait, before I get it out, I'm not interupting anything, am I?
<graue> get what out? i have no idea what you're talking about
<OmegaHedgehog> ...never mind, but... why don't you ever work on SRB2 anymore?
<OmegaHedgehog> '>_>
<graue> i stopped working on srb2
<OmegaHedgehog> Still, you should at least hang around *some* easily communicatable place every now and then
<OmegaHedgehog> A lot of the community misses you, man =/
<graue> come down to northern virginia and meet me sometime then
<graue> you have my email address
<OmegaHedgehog> If I had a car, I would =/
<graue> okay, gotta go
<OmegaHedgehog> Alright then
<graue> byeeee
<OmegaHedgehog> Nice talking to you ^_^

Not much, but that's all I got :?

I think that isn't him. Unless he doesn't use proper grammar.

bigboi said:
I think that isn't him. Unless he doesn't use proper grammar.
No, that's him. I checked his IP and ISP and yes, he has no regard for capitals. ^_^;

He also talks that way. I dunno how to discribe it, but it's definatley him.

[EDIT: Sorry about the double post. I clicked submit, but it stopped halfway because of my stupid-ass 56k connection. I clicked it again so that's why there's two posts. Sorry =/]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back