Cosmic Angel Zone, my first 2D level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/200s_cosmicangel.wad

Screenshot seen in next post.

After studying SRB1 Remake and Palmtree Panic, I tried to make my own 2D level. What made SRB1 remake's levels enjoyable was the fact that you were forced to approach challenges and obstacles slowly! Palmtree Panic, despite being cheap and unchallenging in my eyes, had quite a lot of running that wouldn't result in getting hit. I took those two qualities and tried to fit them both into this level, and I think the level came out rather decent.

I played it and I must say it's not bad for a first go. You got the basics down.

Pros:
Multiple layers.
Good background scenery.
Don't have an issue with enemies going in the foreground or background.
Second emerald token location was ingenious.
Not many issues with the camera, as there's nothing that jumps out in front of you without warning.
Diversity of gimmicks.

Cons:
Zoom tubes get stuck temporarily.
Second segment lacks detail.
Short.

Minor issues:

The Crawla goes through the spikes. You should use sector spikes instead.

Score: meh out of 10

ewwww....a 2d level -_-

That's what I think whenever I see a release of one, but - This one was really fun ^^ I like the zoom tube use as well. I've only played through the act once, found 1 emerald token so far...in the place way up high. (Hopefully that was not descriptive enough to let anyone figure it out, but enough so that you know where it is ^^")

Great job on this ^^

Wow, I really liked this level, despite my hate for 2D levels. However, I didn't like how small some of the platforms were, but besides that, great work! I liked how the dangers were actually avoidable.

That was a really cool level! 2D levels are hard to make, but you nailed it! I'm planning to make a 2D level soon myself...

The Good

-Fairly Big, and has variety.

-A few unique gimmicks.

-Background was ok.

-moving to the path in the background was quite cool. I liked that.

The Bad.

-Very Linear & bland and death pits close together with small platforms is not good especially if a player is going fast.

-You can get stuck in the Zoom tubes temporary.

-Conveyer Belts are way too fast causing annoying teleports & flying into big lasers easy. Lower the speed a bit.

-The Crusher was also annoying as it was too fast to even move at half of Sonic's speed. Again, lower the speed of that.

Rating: 6/10, ok, but needs more work to make it more of a better stage, but at the moment it's ok, just need those tweaks.

I'd love to hear what Boinciel has to say, as his 2D level was really popular.

Hyperknux, you are supposed to get temporarily stuck in the Zoom Tube. Also, I thought I gave enough hints on that conveyor belt gimmick. Also, don't be afraid to spin dash under the crusher.

Biggest complaint was that it was ugly.

Although I really do see what you mean about making the player stop before taking on the next challenge.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
I'd love to hear what Boinciel has to say, as his 2D level was really popular.
It wasn't really supposed to be so well-received, as it was more of an experiment in prettiness. I wanted it to be a wake-up call to the people who create a 64-wide path and call it good enough for a release. 2D needs more 3D in it, because we sacrificed slopes for that third dimension.
Also, 2D mode itself sucks.

When the camera is close, its easy to notice bad texture alignment. Some of the ideas where pretty good. I don't know if there should be long areas where you just pretty much run. My instinct in srb2 2d levels is to slow down because I think there is some obstacle that may come as a surprise. I guess that comes from testing in 2d mode so dang much. I liked what you did with the camera at those spike things on the back path. I also wanted to see more in the background like some moving FOFs or something. I didn't like the conveyor part at all, the background was boring, and it was a boring gimmick. It seemed like the end was a bit like end of Volcano zone in Srb1, except without the death pit. I found that part a bit annoying in the current 2d mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back