Even More 2.1 Preview Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard this from numerous people and I really need to understand why.

I think one of the reasons why people want to know if they can make the old style special stages is because they are easier to make than the NiGHTS ones.

Likely this post will probably be ignored later on, but we're not removing support for old-style special stages in 2.1, there's no reason to really. =P

If anything, support for NiGHTS-style special stages is already included in 2.0.6! As far as I can tell hardly anyone around even knows that at all (it IS mentioned on the SRB2 Wiki mind).

After making sure I checked the entire first post for this info. I just want to know if there are any multiplayer/networking updates in the terms of preventing entire server lagouts from one player joining either with a super high ping or a bad connection?

Likely this post will probably be ignored later on, but we're not removing support for old-style special stages in 2.1, there's no reason to really. =P

If anything, support for NiGHTS-style special stages is already included in 2.0.6! As far as I can tell hardly anyone around even knows that at all (it IS mentioned on the SRB2 Wiki mind).

In a way, you are right. However, they needed to work and program it. I do not think there is full support in 2.0.6.

You're absolutely wrong.

NiGHTS stages have full support in 2.0.6. They just don't have the fancy new HUD stuff that we have in 2.1, or the tweaked physics.

Toxic Plateau, specifically, uses the mode.

I´m so glad you don´t remove the original special stages mode. I like so much to complete stages with 200 rings to collect in funny enviroment. (My favorite Special Stage was orange emerald hunting in demo 4.0)

I think you misunderstand. We're nixing the old special stages completely. They're not going to be in 2.1.

The mode itself is going to be accessible for modders, but that's it.

Will Lua allow something like an ingame level editor? As in modifying sector size,height,textures etc.
I know it has been alerady shown with the creator.wad thingy, but i mean for a whole level?

You can't edit linedefs in any in-game method because of the requirement of nodesbuilding the map. Creator.wad works on a grid with preset values, basically only giving you the option to move the floor up and down.

I've heard this from numerous people and I really need to understand why.

I can understand people who dislike the Nights Special Stages, as it´s different gameplay and it may not be enjoyed by everyone. The good thing about old ones was that the gameplay was like the main game´s one, so everything you learnt on levels or special stages could be used on the others.

With that said, I personally enjoy Nights levels, and all classic Sonic games featured different gameplay than the normal levels for their special stages. Some people hate the rotating ones from Sonic, other ones hate the running tunnel from Sonic 2, other ones hate the blue spheres ones... It´s completely normal as it´s different gameplay from the main stages. That doesn´t mean different gameplay shouldn´t be used for them though :P

Best thing about Nights stages, is that they are going to be a lot more awesome than any ring collecting stage done previously. I hope I don´t suck at them on release xD

I think it actually comes more down to a fear of change. We're removing a placeholder we've been using for the last decade, and most people are used to it.

"Sure, it's crap, but it's crap I understand. They're changing it to something new, so that's an unknown. I'm afraid of the unknown."

Obviously, the whole reason we're changing it is that the new NiGHTS special stages are dramatically more fun, interesting, and engaging to the player than the original placeholder, but since they're something new and unknown, that's automatically bad.

I think it actually comes more down to a fear of change. We're removing a placeholder we've been using for the last decade, and most people are used to it.

"Sure, it's crap, but it's crap I understand. They're changing it to something new, so that's an unknown. I'm afraid of the unknown."

Obviously, the whole reason we're changing it is that the new NiGHTS special stages are dramatically more fun, interesting, and engaging to the player than the original placeholder, but since they're something new and unknown, that's automatically bad.

This. This is probably it.

People have gotten used to their old special stages, so the thought of having those comfortable LSD boxes full of rings replaced by something that they now have to learn from scratch is scary and annoying.

This. This is probably it.

People have gotten used to their old special stages, so the thought of having those comfortable LSD boxes full of rings replaced by something that they now have to learn from scratch is scary and annoying.

I can see what you mean here. If you do not like the new special stages, don't play them, or don't complain. Just give them a chance, and if you don't like them, fine. Nothing you say or do will change the fact that the main srb2 will have nights special stages. It does not mean they will get rid of them completely, as you can make one at anytime. Just not in the main srb2.

I can see what you mean here. If you do not like the new special stages, don't play them, or don't complain. Just give them a chance, and if you don't like them, fine. Nothing you say or do will change the fact that the main srb2 will have nights special stages. It does not mean they will get rid of them completely, as you can make one at anytime. Just not in the main srb2.
Was there a reason you felt the need to redundantly repeat Rob and Mystic?

In any case, have thrown-rings in match been altered to move faster now that the maxmove limit has been lifted? Like, so Sonic's constant thok spamming doesn't rival the speed of them every time?

EDIT: Also IIRC, I heard grenade rings' entire behavior has been changed because they weren't fun at all. Would it be big spoilers to go into detail about how they work now? Do the bounce a few times at a sluggish speed and explode near players, or detonate at the will of the user?

Last edited:
The only thing I'm going to miss about the old special stages is the LSD-inspired texture pack. I'm honestly not sure why the NiGHTS stages are being based on the main levels (considering special stages in the classic games were all crazy looking) but it's a small thing, so I'm not complaining much.

I think he's saying he'll just miss having official in-game stages that use those textures, unless there are other stages you're hiding from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back