Stop sopa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Do we even remotely stand a chance. Specifically against Old People who don't check their Email? (Keywords being Old, People, and Email). If this law passes, what could possibly happen? For the worst case scenario: Mass genocide. For the best case scenario: Well, we don't know, yet. Give me the Time stones, dammit! I want to see a GOOD FUTURE.

It'll be gone tomorrow. The goal is to simply educate as many people as possible, and I'm perfectly willing to put up with one day of annoyance if it makes any difference at all.

It's fine if you want to educate people, but plastering a banner right over the page titles is a particularly obnoxious way of doing so. Shut the wiki down entirely á la Wikipedia if you want, but don't cripple its usability for your own personal soapbox.

The problem with doing this for a website like this is that most of the people who use this site are either little kids or idiots, and the ones who aren't already know about the bill.

Im sorry SpiritCrusher. But Mystic is right he need to educate everyone and show everyone that Sopa and Pipa is bull shit now.

And I think we won already with so much videos on Youtube that are fighting Sopa and Pipa.

And most of us in this world uses the internet. And those who use the internet a lot will most likely vote to not let this pass. But for those in this world who don't use the internet much. Will most likely vote to let this past.

And other then that. Google doing a good job putting a font sign with it being block. This will get more people who uses Google as there main browser home screen. And most sites I gone to so far. Has a banner over for Sopa and Pipa.

That much websites are blacked-out?Wikipedia,Google,Mojang(and Minecraft website in that case...)...
Even Sonic Retro is down!
But yeah, SOPA and PIPA sucks.
EDIT:SRB2Wiki is down too!?
Thanks god the mb is not...

That much websites are blacked-out?Wikipedia,Google,Mojang(and Minecraft website in that case...)...
Even Sonic Retro is down!
But yeah, SOPA and PIPA sucks.
EDIT:SRB2Wiki is down too!?
Thanks god the mb is not...

Well the MB has that little sign on the top that saids. STOP CENSORSHIP.

Anyway thats better then taking down the whole system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc This video proves that SOPA is bullshit. ...I say no more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM While this video is another presentation by an uninvolved third party, it is much more formal and explains the problems behind SOPA in a more professional and presentable way than an eccentric man stroking his beard and telling you that "I have a secret". If you are looking for an explanation of SOPA and the problems it will bring, I would reccomend this video far more.

But that aside. It feels like we are preaching to the choir by blocking SRB2.org and placing a banner on the top of the forums, but for one day I'm quite happy for this protest to take place if it raises any amount of awareness at all.

I recently heard a great quote on NPR that I think pretty much sums up the whole SOPA contraversy, which said something to the effect of this: "If, a few years after the invention of the automobile, it's discovered that bank robbers are using them for speedy getaways, the answer is not to regulate and ban automobiles."

I certainly understand the entertainment industry's frustration. The Internet doesn't divide along international boundaries very clearly in some respects, and it's all too easy for foreign sites to pirate American intellectual property. But, first of all, it isn't the right of the United States to intervene unilaterally on behalf of a global system. And second of all, the Internet is first and foremost a tool of free expression, and while that doesn't excuse those who use it for illegal activity, we can't curtail it for the simple purpose of stopping pirates.

I believe there are methods for combating piracy that don't have to restrict the Internet. First and foremost, we should try diplomatic solutions, forging agreements with countries where piracy is endemic and working together with their governments to hunt major pirate operations.

No, the best way to stop piracy is to provide a better service. Valve games rarely get pirated in comparison with something like BF3 or Mass Effect because Valve offer a great service and a great way of managing licenses via Steam.

Meanwhile, the DRM put into EA and Ubisoft games cause more people to turn to piracy, while not actually stopping pirates at all.

That argument might apply to games (I wouldn't know!), but I know that a lot of people pirate films and music regularly regardless of how much they like it or how good the service.

I'm all for legislation that fights piracy. I oppose SOPA and PIPA because they're censorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back