SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2011   #1
Starbuck
Default SRB2.org Mumble Server; voice chat for your servers!

To effectively replace the Ventrilo and TeamSpeak 3 servers, there is now a Mumble server at server.srb2.org on port 9987. Mumble is a lightweight voice chat protocol and multi-platform application around it; the advantage it provides over TS and Vent is that you can create custom, temporary voice chat channels for your SRB2 games and just about anything else as well. It keeps the server clean of empty channels with no purpose and also allows it to extend on demand!

There is no plugin for Mumble's 3d audio positioning in SRB2 (yet?), but it's possible if any programmer is interested. The overlay will most likely not work in software mode, but should be perfect in OpenGL.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #2
Antwonious
A cool sonic artist

Why not just make it so you can use a mic to speak, and if someone is being annoying, make an option to mute them?

I'm ready to die because she is beautiful. We want fun and like to party hard. When it's time to party, I get wet because I'm totally stupid and I like to party party party.
Antwonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #3
SonicX8000
Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge

We REALLY need more people on these Voice chat stuff, honestly.

First Teamspeak, then Vent, then Sonict's Vent and now, Mumble.

Hopefully it won't be the 5th time.

I suppose I'll drop in and take a look.

Last edited by SonicX8000; 02-19-2011 at 03:14 AM.
SonicX8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #4
Cue
ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S

(For the record, TS3 can do Temporary Channels too =P).

Might hop in there from time to time. I think Alam was looking at the Mumble SDK at one point...?
<@Mystic> That's a good idea, Cue.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #5
Starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwonious View Post
Why not just make it so you can use a mic to speak, and if someone is being annoying, make an option to mute them?
That would require significant work on the netcode in order to implement, and would better be suited by an engine that can already take advantage of it.

Alam has let me know that there is already support for Mumble's 3D voice positioning in SRB2 via the link plugin. All you need to do is join the same channel as another player in the same server as you, and they will have their voice adjusted to sound as if they're coming from their on-screen character.
Old 02-19-2011   #6
Sonict
Developer

Technically, this server is running from my account. Furyhunter is just happening to be using it more and I made him an admin to help me out back when I got it set up here. :P
I may pass the reins over to him in the near future since he seems like he could do a good job at keeping an eye on things.

Cue is right, Furyhunter. I could have configured the TS3 server the same way that you are doing it now, but I decided not to.

My YouTube account: http://youtube.com/user/Sonict11
Sonict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #7
Charybdizs
Playing your heartstrings
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyhunter View Post
Alam has let me know that there is already support for Mumble's 3D voice positioning in SRB2 via the link plugin. All you need to do is join the same channel as another player in the same server as you, and they will have their voice adjusted to sound as if they're coming from their on-screen character.
O_O

That sounds REALLY cool! Now I just have to find out how to use this thing... I have absolutely no experience with anything of this sort before.
Old 02-19-2011   #8
Colson
lyra x bonbno is esbt shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyhunter View Post
Wow, that sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwonious View Post
Because that requires a lot of programming, silly! :)
Unless you took some source code from something or whatever. But then again, you never know.
Colson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #9
Starbuck

I've stuck the thread at the request of Callum. It's progressively becoming more popular, so I think it's a worthy stick.
Old 03-13-2011   #10
SonicX8000
Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge

Why is it that whenever I connect I always find the rooms empty? -.-
Old 03-14-2011   #11
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicX8000 View Post
Why is it that whenever I connect I always find the rooms empty? -.-
Cause I can't join in the mornings, was too busy to join today, and this channel hasn't been open for long...

Nintendo 3DS: 4725-7969-6387
Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #12
Gemini Spark
The EX version

OK, I just got Mumble, but what's the name for the server?
Old 08-16-2011   #13
UltimaXtreme
RENEWAL

Okay, I see this being quite beneficial to the community, assuming we encourage it.

Noting the empty rooms, could this be due to the fact that most SRB2 users don't visit the MB, or find TS3 and Vent better, since we've used them so long?

Quote:
<HellHawkX> depends
<Inkoishi> you really can shit
UltimaXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #14
Effigy The Fox
Is mostly dead by now.

Wait... voice chatting in SRB2? I wish I knew that sooner and to that if only I could see or hear this for myself.

"Anyone seen my teeth? I need my beer so I can punch me some good for nothing vermins in this stinking hole."
Effigy The Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #15
Kitoko
Click on me for help! YAHOO

I'm having some problems connecting to the Mumble server, it always says connection refused. Maybe things changed?
Old 05-29-2012   #16
Scizor300
footure semen

Last I checked, the server's been down for a while.

<+Scizor300> i got kicked from #srb2fun from enraging rob with terrible christmas songs
<+Scizor300> my life is complete
sciz 4 stjr: i'm gonna make america cool again
Scizor300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #17
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

Can't most people just use Skype anyway? Or is it problematic?
Chisuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #18
UltimaXtreme
RENEWAL

Uh, not really. Skype's something of a resource-hog, and tears the internet up quite a bit for low-bandwidth users.

As for the server, furyhunter's not bothered with maintaining it for a while, so it's mostly out of commission until someone pokes him in the ass to do something about it.

Quote:
<HellHawkX> depends
Old 08-09-2013   #19
Pattyboy

uhhhhhh try looking into Raidcall its free and you can make sub channels and all that and it has low latency so you wont lag at all while using it :D

(Pattyboy received an infraction for this post: Do not bump topics without something significant to add.)
Old 08-10-2013   #20
UltimaXtreme
RENEWAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyboy View Post
uhhhhhh try looking into Raidcall its free and you can make sub channels and all that and it has low latency so you wont lag at all while using it :D
Please read the dates at which the last post was made. If it's longer than a month, and you've nothing substantial to say, please don't resurrect the topic.

As for Raidcall, I use it and it's just annoying. Along with that, I'm vaguely certain the Mumble server is gone and no one has interest in hosting one again.

Quote:
<HellHawkX> depends