• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Labyrinth Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehRealSalt

(σᴥσ)
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Look! It's Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1!

shot0000ki.png

(If you really NEED more screenshots, although you can see the entire level so far from that one shot, request some.)

Alright, this is my new level in production, Labyrinth from Sonic 1. I just wanted to make this to show off SRB2CB's slopes and the Labyrinth textures from SRB2 Asset Pack.

The Labyrinth textures ARE NOT INCLUDED, so you need to grab the Asset Pack in Releases, unless you to see REDWALL Labyrinth.

So, you can see what I have here for now. It will become a full water level later, but now, it is just showing a basic idea of it.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?wr75gorz5l1rau5

Enjoy!

Pretty flat don't you think? Then again Labyrinth Zone has always been flat. I think more detail would be great. It's still a pretty decent start.

Pretty flat don't you think? Then again Labyrinth Zone has always been flat. I think more detail would be great. It's still a pretty decent start.

Alright, I was even thinking of adding pillars to add detail and I'm thinking about adding debris on the ground.

EDIT: Say hi to an update:

shot0005o.png

EDIT2: This level has invaded my life and I can't stop making updates.

shot0007m.png

ANOTHER EDIT: And I made a (sorta) fancy palace thing at the spawn location, I just didn't screen it.

Last edited:
Ugh, this is just a corridor with no action for the player. Not even the slope is used for anything interesting.

It would have that little awesome feeling if you use Community Build because you know,
WATER SLIDES ARE THE SHIT!
Sonic_The_Hedgehog_1_-_Labyrinth_Zone_-_Slipping.JPG

Last edited:
Ugh, this is just a corridor with no action for the player. Not even the slope is used for anything interesting.

I know, right now it is just a demo for what this will look like. The real deal will be NOTHING like this. When I feel that it's fine now, I'll make an actual level. (And this better count as proof of progress)

In fact, I think I'm fine with my basic idea, moving on to the real level.

It would have that little awesome feeling if you use Community Build because you know,
WATER SLIDES ARE THE SHIT!
Sonic_The_Hedgehog_1_-_Labyrinth_Zone_-_Slipping.JPG

I am going to use it because it IS a gimmick from Labyrinth Zone.

Last edited:
This level is decent. The Only problem I see is that the level looks like a long straight hallway. Could use more underwater gameplay.

You should be able to recreate all of Labyrinth Zone in 2D except for the waterslides...

I like the design of it, let me give you some ideas:

-------------------

• You can actually use sloped translucent FOFs for the waterslides now.
Making FOF slopes can be a little tricky because the slope acts like a 3D line - it starts at the control sector and continues going on forever.

So to set FOF slopes up correctly you need to make sure that if your slope is going in one direction you make sure that your control sector is parallel to the sloped sector you want to make.

If you have any questions I can draw up a diagram explain it.

This is how other games with a similar engine to SRB2 do it, but I can probably change it to not have that infinite line behavior.

------

• CEILING SLOPES!!!
You can make archways that make a curved effect by using multiple slopes -
Just like how people used to make tiny stairs to simulate slopes, now you can use tiny slopes to simulate CURVES

425810418_faa6a67340.jpg

-------

• You seem to be using crystals that give off light, don't worry, I'll make it easier for you by adding in a dynamic light object that lights floors and walls so you don't have to manually make circular sectors (of course it's an artistic choice if you prefer sector based lights)

------

• Hanging vine textures!

-----

• You can simulate DEFORMING WATER by using a similar method that wavy.wad in SRB2CB, you could use that to make a bunch of funky effects

------------

EDIT: More suggestions!

• Many people on this forum will criticize you for using long corridors and hallways, this is a problem many sonic fans criticize even in Sonic modern games

• Although the map format is room based, you don't have to feel restricted to only using long hallways that branch off of each other and merge.

• Something that would be cool is a place where you litterally have to figure out what direction to go in, an area that encourages exploration and more thought for the player, which in turn makes the level more fun as long as the large open area is not a maze or an empty room full of enemies.

Example:

You could make a large room with waterfalls down the side, and in the middle, an area that needs to be climbed up to get to another section of the map.

• Give the player large areas that are full of content yet give enough space to run around in to explore the area.

Give multiple ways to get up to the next area - instead of litterally putting a large set of floating blocks in the air(which is trivial and uninteresting for the player), how about if the player explores more he realizes that there's a sloped area which he can go up to reach higher ground

A cool thing to note: Slopes are easier to setup than stairs are, and are visually less distracting, a key thing you can do is have LOTS of vertical gameplay that most level designers didn't do before because it was too tedious & visually distracting to make stairs everywhere.

-----

Good luck, and feel free to ask for any feature requests for your level!

Last edited:
Many people on this forum will criticize you for using long corridors and hallways, this is a problem many sonic fans criticize even in Sonic modern games

The problem is not that it has a hallway, IT IS basically just a hallway. Unless that link is wrong.

Last edited:
I think you're taking what I said out of context - I'm just giving general advice suggesting that people should make levels wide open and explorable so levels can be more interesting. I know the mapper isn't done with his level yet.

I think you're taking what I said out of context - I'm just giving general advice suggesting that people should make levels wide open and explorable so levels can be more interesting. I know the mapper isn't done with his level yet.

It is turning into a 2d level now. I couldn't make much ideas for exploring and open 3D areas.

It is turning into a 2d level now. I couldn't make much ideas for exploring and open 3D areas.

-SRB2
-2D

Welp, there goes all hope then. We all know how engines designed for 3D Gameplay + 2D Gameplay just don't work that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back