Is this game SUPPOSED to be this slippery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTS now has it's own composed music too. :I

Then it has been a long, long time since I played BTS. I just still remember that one level after the Tails one in the clouds was unbeatable for me as the game lagged, but the timer for the timed low gravity mechanic was not lagging with the rest of the game.

Oh, my bad. I thought I read Sonic Before the Sequel, which while good, lagged like hell on my PC that can run TF2 and SRB2 perfectly, and the OST I just did not like at times as it was a music rip.

BTS has it's own composed music too.

By the way, the fucking composer for Sonic Team personally emailed the creator of the OST and praised it for how good it was. Yeah.

here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuhwCEuV710
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1deuNknZqO8

Yeah, what does this have to do with SRB2 playing like a genesis game?

EDIT: Also, I love how the only thing you got out of that post was BTS's OST, rather than his valid points about your argument.

Last edited:
Furthermore, what does SRB2 playing like a genesis game have to do with it being good?

This topic is pointless now. We've answered all we can in a pretty tame manner and you've only acted a fool in response and brought up completely unrelated things in futile attempts to poke a beehive with a stick. No hope for this thread man.

Yeah, what does this have to do with SRB2 playing like a genesis game?

Nothing, but the guy brought it up. Please stop trying to go 'HURR you're not talking about the gameplay HURR" as if I can't talk about anything else.

On the topic of SRB2 failing to play like a genesis game: I know it's a limitation of the engine, but seriously.

No slopes.

Spindash-jumping off of slopes was one of the best things about Sonic games. If only I could spin-dash up a slope, hit jump, and skip huge portions of the levels, especially with how brokenly powerful the thok is. Sonic games were meant for speedrunning.

Nothing, but the guy brought it up. Please stop trying to go 'HURR you're not talking about the gameplay HURR" as if I can't talk about anything else.

On the topic of SRB2 failing to play like a genesis game: I know it's a limitation of the engine, but seriously.

No slopes.

Spindash-jumping off of slopes was one of the best things about Sonic games. If only I could spin-dash up a slope, hit jump, and skip huge portions of the levels, especially with how brokenly powerful the thok is. Sonic games were meant for speedrunning.

"SRB2 isn't good because slopes"
And who says you can't speedrun? There is a records mode after all.

Furthermore, what does SRB2 playing like a genesis game have to do with it being good?

I don't know me, let me quote the front page for the second fucking time:

SRB2 is closely inspired by the original Sonic games from the Sega Genesis, and attempts to recreate the design in 3D.

Here, let me put in fucking huge letters because you clearly didn't get it the last time:

SRB2 is closely inspired by the original Sonic games from the Sega Genesis, and attempts to recreate the design in 3D.

The game's design philosophy directly compares it to the Genesis games. If it doesn't play like them, then it has failed at the one task it was meant to do.

I don't know me, let me quote the front page for the second fucking time:

Here, let me put in fucking huge letters because you clearly didn't get it the last time:

The game's design philosophy directly compares it to the Genesis games. If it doesn't play like them, then it has failed at the one task it was meant to do.

"CLOSELY INSPIRED"
"RECREATE"

a.k.a not a genesis game.

SRB2 is "Inspired" by the classics. It doesn't mean that it will try to get everything perfect or include things like slopes. There are just lots of stuff that SRB2 takes from the classics and add new twists to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Frostav. Just read my post. That is all there is to it for SRB2. You are taking that statement on the website way too seriously.

When slopes (and not just them, but curves in the level topography in general) were a huge part of the factor that separated Sonic from other platformers (and still does, honestly), then uh, yeah, they're kind of important.

But you yourself pointed out that there CAN'T BE SLOPES due to engine capabilities. Besides, you don't need slopes to get around SRB2's level design.
Tell me, have you reached Egg Rock yet? You don't need slopes to make that level great.

No slopes.
Fun fact: there have been mods - multiple mods - that have added slopes to SRB2. The core gameplay was never improved from their presence, and the community generally ignored them and moved on to the next thing.

SRB2 doesn't have huge soaring slope jumps, but the levels are designed around not having them so it isn't a big issue. Crawla bouncing (the community catch-all term for bouncing off of enemies or monitors from ridiculous heights) is a much more fun way to incorporate skips into the game than exploiting slope physics with the thok would ever be anyway.

Replayed the game up to THZ Act 2 with Knuckles. I still do not retract my original statement of slipperyness. It's really more the camera--if you twitch the mouse SLIGHTLY your character flies completely out of whack. It's like this game actively punishes trying to go fast.

BTS has it's own composed music too.

By the way, the fucking composer for Sonic Team personally emailed the creator of the OST and praised it for how good it was. Yeah.

here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuhwCEuV710
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1deuNknZqO8

In case you missed my post after that, I played BTS before it got an original OST. Also, I not care about the whole Sonic team thing, it's a matter of personal opinion, and personally, I love SRB2's music. Tempest Valley is dark and foreboding, Techno Hill is fun and up-beat, and Egg Rock is just plain great IMAO.

Anyway, I brought up the OSTs because of what I said: I played BTS when it's soundtrack was one big music rip from the world wide web. So, from the info I had, I thought BTS and ATS had unoriginal soundtracks (thus worse than SRB2's soundtrack in terms of effort and songs fitting to stages),but now I know better.

But seriously, I have played BTS, it felt like just another genesis game (not that that's bad: Sonic CD still stands as my favorite game of all time to this day).

SRB2, however, takes what it can from the Genesis games (aka what the Doom engine can handle, so no slopes as you pointed out) and adds new twists to them, such as since Sonic was always built for speed, but other than 3 and SA onwards he never had a jump ability, they gave him the thok. Or Tails, who can use his fly ability to explore the gelatinous slime of Techno Hill. Not to mention other original abilities to SRB2, such as the air drill, the Jump Boost, the Super Sonic hover ability, etc.

Also, please remember, this is the internet, so not everything needs to be taken 100% literally, like everyone is telling you when you keep quoting that one phrase you seem to keep bringing up over and over again.

Replayed the game up to THZ Act 2 with Knuckles. I still do not retract my original statement of slipperyness. It's really more the camera--if you twitch the mouse SLIGHTLY your character flies completely out of whack. It's like this game actively punishes trying to go fast.

Dude, using your mouse is only good for Match and CTF.
Just map the 'change direction' keys to your arrow keys/WASD keys, it makes life easier. Or just strafe.

if you twitch the mouse SLIGHTLY your character flies completely out of whack.
Turn down the mouse sensitivity. It's in Options > Player 1 Controls > Mouse Options > Mouse Speed.

The camera reset key is also handy. I'm not sure if that's bound by default.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back