Old people, please help me remember this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

karob

Curator of Worlds
Okay, I'm sorry for calling you old. A long time ago (2000? 2002?), before I discovered SRB2, I followed Sonic fan games pretty closely. The website I browsed the most was "Sonic Fan Games News Network". But I remember often going to another website that had a really nice layout. The side of the page, and maybe the header, had a well designed image full of Sonic characters and maybe characters from other games. The main background color was white. My memory said it was "emulationzone", and that it hosted some Sonic research website. Well, I perused the Wayback Machine and found that the "Sonic Stuff Research Group" was hosted by "emulationzone.org". But no version of emulationzone.org looked anything like my memory, so I figure that I must be remembering a different website. I really feel like it had something to do with emulation but I'm not sure. Does anybody else remember a site like this around perhaps the year 2002? Thanks for your help.

I suspect your memory is just fooling you. "Good-looking" web sites have changed a lot in the last ten years. SSRG is almost certainly the web site you're thinking of.

I dunno, it could also be The GHZ.

I think Sonic HQ was also based on emulationzone for a brief while, but that site's sort of fallen way under the radar these days. (I mean, not like The GHZ has fared much better, but still...)

Emulationzone, huh? Well, that was about tracking old (some pirated) Sonic games, not being a fansite or anything like that. I used to visit it. You can find the Emulationzone site here.

EDIT: Nevermind. Not the Emulationzone you were talking about.

That describes SO many websites dude. Unfortunately I've stopped browsing Sonic fansites since the last time sonicstyle.org updated haha. The closest so far would have to be ShadowHog's reference to SonicHQ, which back in the day I explicitly recall being drastically different then it looks now; the main page was very simple and the layout was mostly white. It really liked to talk about Sonic comics so perhaps there were pictures of the cast on the site. Aside from that I also remember that " TeamARTAIL" also had a white layout before its imminent demise.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I also remembered Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles having far better graphics when I was a kid. XD I thought maybe my memory was mixing EmulationZone and another website, but I guess I probably am remembering EmulationZone. What I am most interested in is the "banner" with lots of characters in it but it may be lost to the tides of time.

More of my memory of the site (that may or may not have actually existed) is coming back. The background image banner thing that ran down the very left side of the page actually changed when you loaded the page. There were two to four different possible images (and associated changes to layout elements), and each one featured several Sonic characters. I remember thinking how those images were the finest bit of Sonic artwork I had ever seen (at the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back