SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2010   #1
Shadow
 
Shadow's Avatar
Default Question about ringslinger...

With opengl back in Srb2, I was wondering if there was custom ringsling for characters again.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #2
AlamGBC
WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator
 
AlamGBC's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
with opengl back in srb2, i was wondering if there was custom ringsling for characters again.
never!
__________________
"remember, hacking SRB2 is a good thing, cracking it's save games is not" - Alam and Logan Arias

3DS FC: 0473-7778-0919
AlamGBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #3
Shadow
 
Shadow's Avatar
Default

hmm.. oh well. sad day.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #4
Chrispy
 
Chrispy's Avatar
Default

Hooray for all those people that abused character wads!
And hooray for whoevers idea it was to nerf the characters!
__________________
I'm just the guy that makes the Sonics
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #5
Chimera
Your best friend
 
Chimera's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Hooray for all those people that abused character wads!
And hooray for whoevers idea it was to nerf the characters!
this.

Unfortunately, I think the reason that Ringslinger was taken out was because people abused it. That's the reason characters were nerfed. In my opinion, that was a stupid move. I mean, the fourm's release system was modified, so why nerf good characters? >_>
__________________
Nice.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #6
D00D64
A "rather brash" indivisual
Judge
 
D00D64's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Shadic X View Post
I mean, the fourm's release system was modified, so why nerf good characters? >_>
Because Cream and Eggrobo were in a sad, small minority. Sonic OVERDRIVE (or whatever his make was) had an op as hell ability, and it was what the Murderball was based off of. Other characters had similar op ringlinger projectiles.
__________________
Quote:
<Nekoishi> HOW DO YOU JUST NOT NOTICE GIGANTIC BREASTS
<RedEnchilada> I remained ignorant to a set of titanic breasts for 17 years!
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #7
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

More to the point, Sonic has never been about projectile weapons, instead relying on jumps and the spin attack to do damage. All of our enemies in single player are completely trivialized by projectile weapons. While it's entirely possible to design a mod around projectile weapons and enemies that aren't trivialized by them, at that point you might as well make an EXE modification to make it work better.

While projectiles sound cool in theory, they just don't actually play very well in SRB2's single player modes. The cheat code is of course there for those that want to mess around with it, but it is a cheat code for a reason.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #8
Senku Niola
Drifting Golden Swordsman
 
Senku Niola's Avatar
Default

Yeah but that cheat is boring cause they are always going to shoot rings. Not fun projectiles like icicles that spawn ice cubes, or a boomerang, or a missile that explodes on contact with anything, or even something like a short ranged fake melee attack.
Senku Niola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #9
Virt
Trollerskates
 
Virt's Avatar
Default

If there was Ringslinger, I would make a Ty the Tazmanian Tiger wad. :U
__________________
I'm most active on Twitter!
Virt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #10
Chrispy
 
Chrispy's Avatar
Default

People actually played that game?
__________________
I'm just the guy that makes the Sonics
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #11
Chimera
Your best friend
 
Chimera's Avatar
Default

I have the game.

And I agree with Senku on this. Even though there was a bunch of overpowered characters, as I said the release system is meant to PREVENT those idiotic manafestations from comming back, is it not?

While Sonic isn't meant for projectile weapons, explain match mode. Okay, that's not co-op or single player, but it would be pretty cool if slingitem was brought back for characters that work better in match mode.

In fact I'm putting that in the suggestions thread.
__________________
Nice.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #12
Chrispy
 
Chrispy's Avatar
Default

I've already made a topic on something like this in the collosseum section.
__________________
I'm just the guy that makes the Sonics
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #13
Shadow
 
Shadow's Avatar
Default

Well, I'm curious. So what if people make super overpowered characters. I'm sure true official DM servers won't allow such character wads anyways. I mean the only reason to take out that option is to harm anyone who wishes to make a mod which, as you stated Mystic, Could in fact be based around enemies that don't get dominated by ranged 'shooting' attacks.
I mean... why take it out? Why not just let it sit there, maybe make it a levelheader option or something. While yes you can always just make a custom Exe, I always like that 'look what I did with soccing alone' approach. Anyways there are my two cents, and yes someone can always just make a custom exe I suppose.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #14
Chimera
Your best friend
 
Chimera's Avatar
Default

But then people have to rely on that custom .EXE to have it happen, which isn't the best thing usually. If someone else makes a mod everyone loves, then that feature is stripped from the player, and thus that player is bound to that .EXE. However, that isn't so bad in some cases, but still. :P
__________________
Nice.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #15
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Well, I'm curious. So what if people make super overpowered characters. I'm sure true official DM servers won't allow such character wads anyways.
Surely you played netgames with 1.X. Surely you remember how hard it was to find a netgame with characters that were remotely fair and balanced. Anyone casually trying out SRB2's netplay would end up joining a server with 500 recolor WADs, all of which were terribly overpowered.

We don't have many official servers. We have lots of casual players setting up casual games. I want to make sure that newbies joining said casual games will at least be able to play something that resembles SRB2, instead of SMS every ability in the game with maxed values glowing really bright so he doesn't need shading robo blast 2.

You can have your ugly recolor characters, but let's keep them in sane values so people who aren't retarded can play as Sonic against you and actually have a chance, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I mean the only reason to take out that option is to harm anyone who wishes to make a mod which, as you stated Mystic, Could in fact be based around enemies that don't get dominated by ranged 'shooting' attacks.
You say that, but nobody did that back in 1.X when it was entirely possible to do so with pure SOCs. Honestly, our enemy soccing capabilities are too limited to make a real FPS design out of it anyways. In order to do such a thing properly, you'd need a custom EXE to make challenging enemies and enable the match weapon system in single player with some kind of damage values or something. The amount of changes you'd need to make to SRB2 to turn it into a real FPS essentially makes it impossible to do it properly with just SOCs. Hence, everyone just made overpowered recolors instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I mean... why take it out? Why not just let it sit there, maybe make it a levelheader option or something. While yes you can always just make a custom Exe, I always like that 'look what I did with soccing alone' approach. Anyways there are my two cents, and yes someone can always just make a custom exe I suppose.
The main advantage of gimping the official EXE for this kind of thing is that the vast majority of players, and pretty much every newbie, uses the official EXE. This means a player attempting to join a game on the master server with the official EXE will always find a game with characters that abide by these standards, and someone joining a Coop game will find people playing a Sonic platformer, not some weird alternate universe where everyone can shoot projectiles at enemies that are so outgunned you might as well be shooting fish in a barrel.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #16
Senku Niola
Drifting Golden Swordsman
 
Senku Niola's Avatar
Default

Mystic it also doesn't help that back in 1.09 people made "recolors" of ANYTHING and i mean even as simple as changing start/prefcolor and maxing the stats out of the character and calling it "new" as well as even giving say sonic.plr flying and calling it a wad. No real way to fix that. We fixed that for 2.0, so I'm kinda lost now. :x
Senku Niola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #17
A Cat
Permanently Banned
Default

Or just have a option where just 1 character has 1 ring that is normal and have it have its own sprites.
A Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #18
Striker
eat?
 
Striker's Avatar
Default

what i dont get is why the sprites are not customizable but ringslinger is gone altogether it wont work in single player neither is camera rotate unless i did something wrong. also i for one liked the custom ringslinger sprites but sonic overdrives multi-ring toss was unnecessary
remember this?

also i agree with mystic there were to many overpowered recolors in the 1.0 days

(Striker received a warning for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)

Last edited by Striker; 08-21-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #19
Chimera
Your best friend
 
Chimera's Avatar
Default

And do you realize that's one of them?
__________________
Nice.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #20
Striker
eat?
 
Striker's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Shadic X View Post
And do you realize that's one of them?
yes but i dont get whats the big deal yes thier flashy but the only one i found overpowered was sonic overdrives and i just used sms as an example for his ringtoss which i thought what was being discussed :P

(Striker received an infraction for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)

Last edited by Striker; 08-21-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ringslinger Charybdizs Editing Help 10 01-26-2011 10:58 PM
Ringslinger JJ AA Editing Help 2 07-25-2010 01:19 AM
Ringslinger numbers JJ AA Help 1 11-12-2009 01:28 AM
Ringslinger Sky Ninja Editing Help 3 11-25-2007 05:58 AM
Making a ringslinger item Sales Editing Help 3 02-15-2007 10:59 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.