The official "blog post, OMG!" topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people are confused because the SRB2 staff made it rather explicitly clear that OpenGL did not work in the normal 2.0 build, and yet here we having a functioning MD2 model in 2.0.

Chances are SSN was using the OGL port of 2.0 for that video, though it'd be nice if a staff member could correct me if I'm wrong here.

AJ was using a trunk build of SRB2 that was compiled with OGL enabled. That's it.

It wasn't that OpenGL didn't work, moreso that it was bugged up beyond any shadow of a doubt, and would have delayed ME's release considerably.

Last edited:
There's still a lot of problems with level rendering. You can see a few of them in the video, but for the most part I removed the bugged up footage.

So...I'm still confused. What exactly did you modify to make the MD2 work that well? Did you modify some aspect of the game, or of the model?

There's still a lot of problems with level rendering. You can see a few of them in the video, but for the most part I removed the bugged up footage.

srb20051.png
srb200522.png

EDIT:

So...I'm still confused. What exactly did you modify to make the MD2 work that well? Did you modify some aspect of the game, or of the model?

The game. All of what was shown in the video was done via a source code modification. The model wasn't touched.

No modification of the MD2 or MD2.dat was done.
Is that why the 1-Up monitor is a Sonic clone? ;)

I think one of the more jarring glitches of OpenGL right now is the broken fake floor support. The main textures need to be shifted down to the fake floor control sector's floor height, instead of being left floating where the actual floor is.

The 1-Up monitor is a Sonic clone because, in SRB2 2.0, the graphics for the 1-Up monitor are stored as character frames, instead of standalone graphics in the IWAD. This means that, when OpenGL tries to render it as MD2, it thinks it's the player, and since no MD2 model currently in existence has the appropriate lump, it just inserts the character's standing frames.

Relevant bump.

A trailer? Well, it's quite solidly done, but not really needed. However, I noticed something around the 9:15 mark: ERZ3 got a visual upgrade. And a nice one, may I add =P

Also, loving the Looking Back post of Demo 4.35.

EDIT: lol opengl

So why does Spazzo get to spoil what Egg Rock Zone (all three acts, including the boss) looks like, when the Zones page still shows a big question mark? Might as well throw in the laser miniboss and disco room, while we're at it.

Considering it's one of the best stages in the game, I think it's valid to show it in a trailer.

Wow, Match Test is finally released to the public.

This is easily the greatest level in SRB2. I have never had such a fun time playing SRB2. This is perfection in a single map. Screw all those other maps, they're GARBAGE compared to this MASTERPIECE.

I already had Match Test, actually, along with The Great Forest, another COMPLETELY EPIC Match map from SRB2's beta.

Mach Test Zone... is heavenly. May I suggest a sequel? I mean, it's the most unique and entertaining map in SRB2. Phenominal level design, gimmicks that work in every single way, and entertainment and fun of the map in general gives it an automatic 11/10. Ironically, I haven't even played the level yet! That's just how good it is...

Now I know I have never given such a score before... but the level's beauty FORCED to give it that exact score. You developers never cease to impress me.

If you liked that, you'll love the new map lineup in 2.0.5... you guys shoulda known we couldn't be as inactive as you thought we were! I can't say much more or Spazzo might have me thrown off the dev team, he threatened to do the same thing with Mystic when we started talking about Touhou, not that he'd care- he's said several times that he has better things to do than adminstrate a forum full of whiny brats AND on top of that he's in charge of the folks OUTSIDE the dev team too.

Oh wow, a Rick Roll! Best update ever.

I shall send you a gift. Sonic Team Jr., I present to you... the WIN badge. (Or is it a button?)

win_button.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back