• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Blaze WAD WIP. (Last Alpha Release!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Pepper

Hello everyone here at SRB2. I'm a first time poster, long time lerker. I would have started posting sooner, but I didn't have a good reason to, until now. I've been playing SRB2v1.09 since I heard about the Dreamcast port on DCEmulation. I've really enjoyed all of the great level packs and custom characters the members here have been making over the years, although one character I've been waiting to play as in SRB2 still isn't playable yet, Blaze the cat.
I got tire of waiting for Lightdasher to finish his Blaze wad and thought "Why couldn't I make a Blaze wad? If WADding(not the graphics part) is so easy a n00b could do it, what am I waiting for?" So after spending two weeks making a large enough amount of sprites, I dove straight into XWE armed only with the knowledge of the SRB2 wiki.
After two days of trying to figure out why I got segment violations, I made a presentable 'WIP' wad of Blaze the cat. It's a WIP though, as Beta's display at least some complete portion of a finished product, but I'm still not done with any of the frames, as you can tell, that fuzzy stuff on her high-heels and gloves aren't there, they're hard for me to draw. I have a "Chisel now, polish later" policy when working on projects, it speeds things up, for me anyway.
So here are the things I haven't polished yet.
*The alignment of her frames are really jerky, I'm normally a stickler for steady animations and that alone would make this wad playable, but I'm going to end up replacing them with better ones anyway, so why bother.
*Some frames look downright horrible! I'm still working on them.
*I didn't have time to make a working wad file from scratch, (SRB2 kept complaining about missing patches that weren't missing!) so I gutted Donnyku's Amy wad and replaced Amy's sprites with Blaze's. I haven't messed with the S_SKIN much or decided what to do about Blaze's jumping/running/spinning frames or her ability, I'm open to suggestions. I'm too focused trying to make her sprites look as close to the SRB2 style as possible right now.
*I haven't decided on her ability yet, but I'd like to make her hover, but I won't do that unless I can soc it if possible(once I figure out socs) to stop hovering after being in the air for so long. Otherwise hovering makes it too easy.
*None of the shades of purple I wanted were in the current SRB2 palette, so I had go the with the next best thing and chose the second lightest shade of blue to substitute her lightest shade of purple, which actually worked out quite well, especially in actual game play.
Given the above, I don't think it's anywhere near fit for the releases section, so I posted it here.
Now for some screenshots if you hadn't already scrolled down to them.
I just now figured out how to bind keys thanks to the wiki.
Pictures taken in the Blue-Heaven and Chaos-Twilight level packs.
srb20012.png

I need suggestions and opinions on the graphics in this wad, (I need to know if somebody else besides me thinks they look good) that's why I released this early WIP WAD here. I want to get the finished wad to look right the first time, rather than another horrible third-rate character WAD that makes everybody say "Pleh, that thing is gross".

Announcement: Although this WAD was eventually finished, I have created another Blaze WAD that is significantly better than what you see here. Download it from this topic:
http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=13291
srb20022-6.png

Not bad, try using light blue on the background for her name instead of white so it's transparent though. And make her shoes look more like the high heel thing she has.
EDIT: Also, instead of the purple shadows thing you have with her fur, try using some shades of blue like you did with the lighter shades.

Light Dasher, I'd understand someone's reasoning behind that assumption: you claim like, every possible high demand little thing you can get your hands on (character wads, being the prime example).

As for the wad here, it looks... weird. Why is Blaze's head grey?

I'd assume because it's the closest to the weird lavender color she actually is in the Doom pallete.

TL;DR. Or rather, not enough punctuation; didn't read. But those pictures do look pretty good. Keep up the good work, Light Dasher needs less projects.

I'll Begin said:
TL;DR. Or rather, not enough punctuation; didn't read.
What are you talking about? First post was fine. :/

Anyways, my only gripe is that it looks odd. But then, it's SRB2's fault, and it has a terrible palette in the first place.

Blaze has two spikes on each side, not one. They should also be more visible from the front than that. And her shoes are pink. I don't think Blaze's eyes should be that tall, but neither should her mouthpart be that high up her head.

There are a few differences between the appearance of Blaze in the games, and the appearance of Blaze in this wad, but they're very minor, and besides, this Blaze fits very well into the SRB2 palette for all of its limitations.

She fits well into the appearance aspect of the other characters as well. Are those Sonic's eyes? (I know that it's either his or Tail's feet, and basic body positions, but pic #2 begs me to ask about the eyes :P )

I'm amazed at how well received this wad is, thank you all for your positive feedback.
Monster Iestyn, I tried shrinking her eyes and mouth even smaller, but it didn't look right for a Blaze wad that is trying to conform to SRB2's style.
Yes Goober, those are Sonic's eyes, but I scaled them down a lot smaller and seperated them. I used Sonic's sprites as a base, so there are some similarities between the two.
Thanks for fixing the glitchy movement nitro, I'm playing the wad right now.
Right now, I'm adding that fuzzy stuff to Blaze's gloves and socks while I try to figure out what to do about her running frames.
Thanks again guys, I should be able to post a newer, better WIP version sometime soon.

Edit: Oops, sorry about that Monster, I ment to say what you just said, move the eyes and mouth down, I was typing in a hurry. I now realize I moved the eyes too far down when I tried, that's why it looked so bad. Btw, that's a good looking Blaze sprite, I remember seeing it in light dasher's Blaze topic. Too bad you're not turning into a wad.

Dr.Pepper said:
I'm amazed at how well received this wad is, thank you all for your positive feedback.
Monster Iestyn, I tried shrinking her eyes and mouth even smaller, but it didn't look right for a Blaze wad that is trying to conform to SRB2's style.

I didn't say to shrink them. I said to move the mouth and eyes down a bit on frames like that front frame, as well as make the eyes not as tall as they are. I mean like this frame of mine I did months ago, which I will not turn into a character WAD fortunately for you:
BLZEA1-2.png

Really good WAD. My sister will have fun playing this with me in splitscreen. Only problem is that Blaze turns at a 45 degree angle when she jumps while the camera's behind her. But overal it's pretty good.

Ash said:
Light Dasher, I'd understand someone's reasoning behind that assumption: you claim like, every possible high demand little thing you can get your hands on (character wads, being the prime example).

Shut the hell up I just said you should be patience

light dasher said:
Ash said:

Blatant outburst? ...

I've been patient for a while, and I haven't seen you actually finish anything you "claimed". Someone actually finished a project. Should I ignore it just because you're working on your own version?

Ash said:
light dasher said:
Ash said:

Blatant outburst? ...

I've been patient for a while, and I haven't seen you actually finish anything you "claimed". Someone actually finished a project. Should I ignore it just because you're working on your own version?
Anything? I claimed I was making a Charmy that was finished, I claimed that I was making a Omega wad that was finished...now lets just stop here before This agurement gets worse. But, I only said be patient, not "STOP LOOK AT DIS I MAKEN IT"

...There is no argument. I was just talking about the actual completed blaze.

It still looks too jelly, though. Weird word for it, yeah, but the frames really need to make her whisker-like things a bit sharper, because they're way too round at the moment. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back