Jeck Jims' Highpoly MD2s

Jeck Jims

Oh, THAT guy...
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
QUICK UPDATED, Added playershadows model due to TD's release. TD's shadow slot is "shad" so, to use for TD add the following to your md2.dat
SHAD OSHD.md2 3.0 0.0
The model is already in some screen shots, hasn't changed much.

A collection of MD2 models set to replace object sprites in SRB2!
10/2/2016: Nothing completely major, other than a huge touch up to sonic, and texture ones to knuckles. Sonic now has a completely new head model, one that really brings out and blends the games color changing. Knuckles has been giving some texture edits much to the same avail. Rosy has also been 100% remade, to better take advantage of the raised 2.1 polylimit. All super sonic frames, as well as Fsonic super sonic frames have been updated as well!
-team color monitors are now functional
-point monitors are now included
-Espio had some texture work done

attachment.php

attachment.php

New Update Process
Rather then starve you guys forever waiting for large releases, Imma do so smaller releases here and there, in the downloads you'll find a download for just Silver, you will also find him in the main download. As I release new content, the last update will be found only in the main download, with the new stuff having it's own download for convenience. (for example, my next release will prob be updated blaze, so there will be a new "blaze.rar" but no longer be a "silver.rar."

Changelog
5/3/16 Update! Silver, just like with shadow, completely redone from the ground up.
4/21/16: Mighty added! Updated look since 2.0. Based on MR sprite.
2/24/16: New Shadow model completely remade, as well as a Chuckleing Knuckles waiting animation (finally.)

SRB2 2.1.5 and up now Full support color changing MD2!

What all does this mean? Well, the simple answer is that when playing modes that allow you to change your playercolor, character models that are setup for it will change to the same color you pick. This also fixes many issues with Super Sonic. Now, he flashes just like the sprites, AND his jumping frames will be colored correctly. (all super forms will flash)

Taking advantage of that and inspiration from other projects, I've revamped and polished almost all of my classic models.

Lets get the big one out of the way first.

Tails​
While it might not strike you as obvious at first glance, Tails has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. New model, better animations based on his debut titles. Also included is a version compatible with Tailscd.wad.

Spinning Frames​
The next biggest change effects most characters: an overhaul to the spinning animations. While not possible to show in a single screenshot, the animation has been changed to match 2.1 Knuckles' and FuckingSonic's jumping style.

Hands​
This change effects a few characters, new hands! I've decided to take advantage of 2x poly limit gifted to us in 2.1, with giving certain characters in need of actual fingers new meshes for them.​

New Bosses​
Finally stopped being lazy and got the SeaEgg and Eggscalibur proper models, as well as the Fake SeaEggs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Miscellaneous​
attachment.php
-New Chaos Emeralds
-Spindash Frames (MRSP)

Character List​
The main event, here we go!
Sonic
attachment.php

Tails
attachment.php

Knuckles
attachment.php

MetalSonic
attachment.php

Rosy
attachment.php

Mighty
attachment.php

Espio
attachment.php

Shadow
attachment.php

Silver
attachment.php

Amy
attachment.php

Cream
attachment.php

Blaze
attachment.php

Emerl
attachment.php
*Notes explanation:
Because of the way SRB2 Handles certain custom frames in WADs, separate models are required to replace them accordingly. Characters with custom frames require a SEPERATE MD2 AND MD2.DAT ENTRY TO WORK. All of which are provided in the download.

Setting up!
The actual ZIP contains all the files you need, as you need them. Simply export the files to your root SRB2 2.1 folder, start SRB2.exe in OpenGL and use the console command "GR_MD2 1" and your good to go!

HOWEVER.
The start setup MD2.dat has ALL of the models (hopefully) activated, that being said, I do NOT recommend using Rings and enemy models, as they are clustered in the levels, be warned that this will cause slowdown and frame issues in game.

Known "Issues"
-An excessive amount of MD2 models on screen or in the area will cause Frame issues, I suggest turning on Limit Draw (render distance for objects) in 3D options.
-Tailscd: the way the lua for the extra animation states is setup prevents Tails' tails from interpolating. To simplify, they will animated "not-smooth" :V
-The above issue is also present in many character wad's Spindash states.

Changelog
With the obvious release of SRB2 2.1 my 2.0 model thread was put rightfully in the outdated released section, with blatant states issues I had to do some of my own fixing up to get my models up to par with what 2.1 has to offer.​
The past year was spent working with SBR2Kart Krew on perfecting the best set of SRB2 Models I can put out. I want to focus on classic character representations for now.

This release includes most of what still works with 2.1 carried over from 2.0.
-Enemies
-Signpost
-Rings
-A Completely new Eggman+Eggmobile boss model, made to match SRB2's Eggman
attachment.php
-New shields, for now each shield is a sphere using the sprites as textures, as I get inspiration I may get more creative!
-Super Sonic for NiGHTS Modes!
attachment.php
-Metal Sonic Boss Fight model

Attachments

• srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 74,691
  • Super.png
    Super.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 7,587
  • EGGMA5.jpg
    EGGMA5.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 6,039
  • Profile4.png
    Profile4.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 81,401
  • Profile3.png
    Profile3.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 66,917
  • Profile6.png
    Profile6.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 67,746
  • Profile7.png
    Profile7.png
    81 KB · Views: 68,479
  • Amy.png
    Amy.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 54,725
  • Blaze.png
    Blaze.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 53,453
  • Espio.png
    Espio.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 53,249
  • Hinote.png
    Hinote.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 16,471
  • Tails.png
    Tails.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 54,060
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    333 KB · Views: 4,792
  • srb20015.png
    srb20015.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 52,621
  • srb20045.png
    srb20045.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 4,633
  • srb20017.png
    srb20017.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 5,375
  • srb20018.png
    srb20018.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 5,238
  • srb20019.png
    srb20019.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 4,266
  • srb20020.png
    srb20020.png
    968.5 KB · Views: 53,440
  • srb20023.png
    srb20023.png
    764.5 KB · Views: 4,713
  • srb20025.png
    srb20025.png
    314.7 KB · Views: 4,571
  • srb20026.png
    srb20026.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 41,375
  • srb20046.png
    srb20046.png
    449.7 KB · Views: 4,250
  • srb20030.png
    srb20030.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 4,266
  • srb20031.png
    srb20031.png
    400.4 KB · Views: 52,987
  • srb20032.png
    srb20032.png
    432.6 KB · Views: 52,951
  • EMMY.jpg
    EMMY.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6,277
  • Screenshot 2016-02-09 19.49.18.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-02-09 19.49.18.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 7,161
  • Shadow.png
    Shadow.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 57,022
  • Chuckles.png
    Chuckles.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 13,506
  • mighty.png
    mighty.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 53,793
  • srb20060.png
    srb20060.png
    240.8 KB · Views: 9,144
  • srb20055.png
    srb20055.png
    271 KB · Views: 8,733
  • srb20051.png
    srb20051.png
    221 KB · Views: 9,214
  • Silver.png
    Silver.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 51,103
  • Sonic.png
    Sonic.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 70,265
  • Rosy.png
    Rosy.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 61,357
  • srb20047.png
    srb20047.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 4,686
  • srb20050.png
    srb20050.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 5,035
  • srb20052.png
    srb20052.png
    184 KB · Views: 6,731
  • srb20021.png
    srb20021.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 4,727
  • KNUCKLES.rar
    877.8 KB · Views: 9,905
  • MD2s.zip
    29.7 MB · Views: 36,970
  • PlayerShadows.rar
    1.3 KB · Views: 9,547
Last edited:
I'm quite happy to see these ported back to 2.1, with some new improvements! I'll probably be using these as my default models for the time being because they fit quite nicely with the rest of the default game too.

I LOVE these models. Especially Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic... Well EVERYTHING to be presice. Also the Super Sonic model...

11/10

VERY nice work Jeck, I LOVE these models. I'm assuming Egg Slimer, Sea Egg, and Eggscalibur will be worked on in the future?

Prior to even starting the game up, I noticed a few issues.

The following md2s are referenced in the md2.dat but not present in the zip:
  • ATTV.md2
  • BBUB.md2
  • GSNP.MD2
  • JetB.md2
  • JETG.md2
  • RINV.MD2
  • ROSY.MD2
  • RTEX.MD2
  • SRTV.MD2
  • TION.MD2
  • YLBX.MD2

The following md2s do not have textures, which may be intentional:
  • CEMG.MD2
  • EMER.MD2
  • EMMY.MD2
  • SOBB.MD2
  • SORB.MD2

These were caught with a script I wrote.

A hand comparison between md2 files in the folder and md2.dat showed that the following models were not referenced.
  • METALSONIC.md2
  • SHRP.MD2
  • THOK.MD2
  • TURR.MD2

Aside from these issues, good job. The only problem I have with the models themselves is that the monitor textures are glitchy on the top and sides, looking like the ever-changing static of an old TV, only not 16-bit like the deliberate static on the screen.
srb20012.png

In all seriousness, good job.

EDIT: I improved my script. Seems DETN.MD2 is also not referenced.

Last edited:
Prior to even starting the game up, I noticed a few issues.

The following md2s are referenced in the md2.dat but not present in the zip:
  • ATTV.md2
  • BBUB.md2
  • GSNP.MD2
  • JetB.md2
  • JETG.md2
  • RINV.MD2
  • ROSY.MD2
  • RTEX.MD2
  • SRTV.MD2
  • TION.MD2
  • YLBX.MD2

The following md2s do not have textures, which may be intentional:
  • CEMG.MD2
  • EMER.MD2
  • EMMY.MD2
  • SOBB.MD2
  • SORB.MD2

These were caught with a script I wrote.

A hand comparison between md2 files in the folder and md2.dat showed that the following models were not referenced.
  • METALSONIC.md2
  • SHRP.MD2
  • THOK.MD2
  • TURR.MD2

Aside from these issues, good job. The only problem I have with the models themselves is that the monitor textures are glitchy on the top and sides, looking like the ever-changing static of an old TV, only not 16-bit like the deliberate static on the screen.
srb20012.png

In all seriousness, good job.

EDIT: I improved my script. Seems DETN.MD2 is also not referenced.

Most of the extra .dat entries are accidental, I'll remove those, the models without textures are intended.
I have no idea what is causing the monitor issues, they don't appear for me, try running in 16bit if you arent.
Please stand by for fixes

Last edited:
I still wish there was a way to incorporate the ability to put the material file in a wad so the character can change colors but not be limited to using the material for changing say the eyes or mouth expression.. I wonder if it would be possible to insert just a bunch of lumps of the material for said character but colorized green... this way it doesn't need a new S_SKIN to tell it to use blue, orange, or red... cause then it'll add a new character which'll just be a duplicate of the character cept able to change colors...

Update #1
Fixed all issues with monitors, cleaned up MD2.dat to match with the provided MD2 folder. Added "SUGGESTEDMD2.dat" to the main Zip file.

I just now found out that MD2s work on multiplayer now. Whoops. Now the only thing that could make this better would be if they could change color. Too bad that's not possible. Also, I love that they have a fullscreen openGL now, because I hated that tiny screen.

I just now found out that MD2s work on multiplayer now. Whoops. Now the only thing that could make this better would be if they could change color. Too bad that's not possible. Also, I love that they have a fullscreen openGL now, because I hated that tiny screen.

MD2 in multiplayer and fullscreen OpenGL were around since OpenGL and MD2 models were first added.

Actually it's POSSIBLE for them to be able to change color, but that requires an entirely seperate WAD file. All you do is copy the texture for the model into every frame of the skin you want to use it for, then set the startcolor to whatever colors of the model you want to change color. I remember this was done for another model a long time ago.

Actually it's POSSIBLE for them to be able to change color, but that requires an entirely seperate WAD file. All you do is copy the texture for the model into every frame of the skin you want to use it for, then set the startcolor to whatever colors of the model you want to change color. I remember this was done for another model a long time ago.

While this method is possible, it is by no means practical. It requires that the texture for the model to be restricted to SRB2's palette, so expect a huge drop in quality, also this method will always required a WAD. It will work fine offline and in SP modes (why do color changes matter here?) however, playing online with anyone else who is NOT using the same MD2 setup as you would result in the player(s) appearing as giant texture.

To be blunt, MD2 texture-WADs would only practically work in Single-Computer situations, where color changes don't matter so who cares, they simply have NO place online because software users don't wanna see a big texture running around, There are more flaws than benefits and its a lot of work to do on a whim, so no, color changing models with this method will NOT be made, so please stop bringing them up.

An actual solution to this color problem needs to be (and might be ;p) coming from the programmers.

Last edited:
I'm glad that ring MD2s exist now, but what happened to the spring MD2s? And will flickies that pop out of badniks ever get MD2s? Speaking of that, though, thank god for new Crawla models, because the old ones were starting to look really bad.

Last edited:
I'm glad that ring MD2s exist now, but what happened to the spring MD2s? And will flickies that pop out of badniks ever get MD2s? Speaking of that, though, thank god for new Crawla models, because the old ones were starting to look really bad.

Ring MD2 models have been around for a LONG time, probably before I even joined the mb. Also, I agree with you on the Crawla models. These ones look so much better, but when they move, the wheels look like they are going back and forth...I don't know if the old one actually looked as if it was rotating the wheels. Also, Virt has made models that replace the flickies and animals that come out of badniks, but some of them are replaced with wisps.

My script is now outputting only two issues:
ERROR: RINV.MD2 referenced but not found.
WARNING: METALSONIC.md2 is not referenced by md2.dat
Two is a whole lot better than 20, so you've improved there.

I'm pleased to report that the monitors are looking a whole lot better. There's still a tiny bit of glitching on top corners and on the bottom of the sides of the monitor, but it's unnoticeable in gameplay.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back