What's your fav 2d Sonic game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S3K was fun but the Sonic 3 half really dragged in comparison to the second half.
I guess Sonic 2 (Genesis) was my favorite. I like the levels and it doesn't drag on.

Yeah, pretty much what Kyasarin said. 3&K made good strides with what it added onto the formula, but gimmicks like the spinning top and barrel I really could have done without.

I consider 2 to be about perfect in its design, so I'll go with it.

I've always liked Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic CD for their superb aesthetics, but I suppose that Kyasarin and Blue Warrior are right: Sonic 2 is the best in terms of level design, intuitive gimmicks, and level length. Sonic 2 did have a ridiculously long, formulaic final boss, though.

I also like Sonic 1, especially in how the overall level design is different for each zone, but during my most recent play-through a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to me as if Sonic's top speed was unnaturally slow, at least compared to what he's capable of in the sequels. Maybe I'm not exploiting his Spin often enough.

Last edited:
I can never finish Sonic 1 unless I'm playing a rom hack. There's just too much flow-breaking obstacles and linearity to keep me interested; I think it would have benefited with the direction Sonic 2 took, with two acts per zone but many more zones to explore.

Sonic 1. I just can never get over how beautiful Green Hill Zone looks. Love the hidden areas in Sonic 1 as well...behind the waterfalls in GHZ, on top of loops, into the green wire mesh in Spring Yard Zone, far above in Star Light Zone.

When I first played Sonic 1 at an age I can remember (had it when I was 3, but we lost it, got it again when I was 9-10) I remember seeing a 1-Up on top of a loop in GHZ and just wondering "wow...how do I get up there?". And somehow, even though it's so simple to get up there now, that moment has stuck with me ever since.

Love the music too. I probably enjoy Sonic 1 the most since it was my first game.

Last edited:
I agree with bigboi as well.

hmmmmmm

chaotix was interesting
CD was fun as hell
1 was cool, but not as good as 2
2 was fun
3&k was awesome

so cd, chotix, 3&k but most 2d sonic games are good. Hence the word MOST

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

I agree with bigoi as well.

hmmmmmm

chaotix was interesting
CD was fun as hell
1 was cool, but not as good as 2
2 was fun
3&k was awesome

so cd, chotix, 3&k but most 2d sonic games are good. Hence the word MOST

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

also....ugh it double posted, we can all live with that, right?

I want this thread to live long enough to see the first person mentioning Sonic 4 and getting torn to shreds.

Me, count me in on the "Sonic 3 dragged on in comparison to S&K" group. S3&K is better than Sonic 2 at its best moments, but it's also less consistent. So it's kind of a tie between those two. I also have a soft spot for Sonic Advance, but I have to admit it's not as original as the first three (four if you count Sonic CD) games, and I don't like the art style that much.

Sonic Robo Blast, jk.
My favorite would have to be S3&K, you can't deny it, it's fun. Especially when you have all emeralds, including super. >:D

Sonic3&K was good as it was, but I really enjoyed the stand alone Sonic and Knuckles. It's probably the only one I really enjoy playing all the way through without stopping.

For some reason, Sonic 2 always pissed me off, I can't remember why, though.

I want this thread to live long enough to see the first person mentioning Sonic 4 and getting torn to shreds.

I would say that it's ridiculous to expect someone to claim that a game which hasn't been released yet is among their favorites, but Sonic Colors does look pretty damn good.

I would say that it's ridiculous to expect someone to claim that a game which hasn't been released yet is among their favorites
That's why I said "live long enough". Also, Sonic Colors is only half 2D, although it seems like all the good parts are in 2D and the 3D parts are only filler.

Well my 3 favorites are (not in order)

Sonic CD
Sonic 2
Sonic 3

Overall, Sonic 2 wins due to challenging ending, great level desing, some good music and 2 player mode.

As for Sonic 3, I did not put Sonic 3 & K for some reasons :
1. Most of my favorite levels are in Sonic 3 part
2. Lauch Base Zone in Sonic 3 alone was much better
3. As for Knuckles, I prefer his cutscenes in S3
4. When playing as Knux in S3&K, his paths are better in S3 and he can access all bosses in normal way (without level select) while in Sonic and K part, he has no boss in lava Reef or no Knux path in Flying Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back