How long have you stuck around these forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, as your probably don't know, my name is supersonicdude211. I finally recovered this account after 8 years of being gone. So I'm curious, how long has everyone been active on this site?

I used to make levels and share them, and I miss this community a lot. I want to get back into it.

I've been around since 2005. Left sometime around 2010-11 during the Spazzo drama then came back a few years later.

We don't discuss it. You can probably get an explanation if you ask someone (not me) via PM, but it's advisable to stay away from that topic in public places.

I joined the SRB2 community around 1.09.2 (early 2006) under an account I quickly abandoned out of embarrassment, then made a new one under the onslaught of 1.09.3 minor updates a few months later. I stopped attending the community when I lost all my level and character .wads to laptop failure some time in 2007 - and so my active interest in SRB2 waned until 2.0 happened in 2009. I faded again around 2011 or 12 because of escalating commitment to school, but returned on 2.1's launch and think this is the time I'll stick.

Last edited:
I joined these forums back in January 2008... so I've been here over 8 years now, wow. Been here almost every single day even, I'm not one of those people that disappear for a few years that make a comeback (not yet, anyway!).

To give you an idea of what the scene was like back when I first appeared, the ACZ texture contest had just about started, the infamous 1.1 Match beta was only months away, and the legendary Version 1.1 itself (which later became 2.0) was the "future version that's clearly never going to be released lol" of the day. Particularly since 1.09.4 had been out for nearly 2 years at that point then.

I joined the forums around 2013-14 during 2.0.6 into the 2.0.7 patch. w
While I wish I made better decisions into the future, I guess I'm glad to grow a little with the community and learn how helpful and cruel the digital world of the Internet is (Especially since I was more of a joke in the "Pokémon Online" community).

It's hard to.. surprise people with how long you've been on unless you've somehow left abruptly and started a new account since the date you joined the forums on kind of hangs around next to your avatar on the left there..

I initially made an account somewhere in April of 2012 to ask about a dumb problem with my ports; somehow I screwed around with it in a way that it denied both a connection going either way and I don't exactly remember how it fixed itself... probably reset the computer or something... I wouldn't post the first Jasper for 2.0 until almost a year later and I distinctly remember that being the thing I did next after asking the silly port question.

I've been here since my join date of November 26, 2006. It's nearing a decade. Please send help.

Spazzo drama? I'm curious... What happened? If you don't mind.
I don't remember all of the details, but Spazzo was staff for a short time during 2.0's development. Mystic and a few others saw him as an antagonizing prick so they banned him, and then I guess a few other members left the staff, which they attribute to Spazzo being a prick. I was pissed by the ban personally because I wanted SRB2 to become a more open and inviting community, and Spazzo was one of the only members in a position who fervently would push it in that direction.

That being said, it's been about five years, and I'm pretty much over it or else I wouldn't be here obviously. I don't get why everyone else is still hush-hush over it, but I guess some wounds heal slower than others.

Last edited:
I've been here, often just lurking and sometimes leaving unannounced for a few months from time to time, since early 2006.

It's been over a decade of this madness, I want to go home.

It's nice to hear from all of you.

By the way, are there any active level design contests? It seems like there's only voting posts at the moment.

And regarding Spazzo,
I see. Was it that big of a deal?

It's nice to hear from all of you.

By the way, are there any active level design contests? It seems like there's only voting posts at the moment.

We haven't much success with level design contests in a while now. You could say the community is less active and there's probably truth to that, but mainly everyone's been creating gadgets and gizmos with the new LUA scripting. I've said before that we should have like a scripting contest or something, but we'd need to come up with a good ruleset for it.

And regarding Spazzo,
I see. Was it that big of a deal?

I think most people would say so. I only mentioned it because it's why I left the forum for a while. Everyone else who was involved generally tries to avoid discussion out of fear that it would conjure up a shitstorm.

Aw man. I would totally join. And yeah that's true. I'm also hoping it would amp up the community's population when the new update comes.

And thanks!

Ever since April 15th of 2013; That was the first of my "SRB2 phases" and when CTF was massively popular. Nowadays I always made it a tradition to play SRB2 more often every Spring (even if I can't host servers anymore because I haven't bothered to forward my ports on this new PC).

As for forum activity it's mostly scarce, usually I come on to download WADs (because the ingame downloader is bleh as it's always been) and leave comments on WADs and other updates that catch my interest.

Last edited:
Well, i´ve been here since January 09 in this year, i´ve seen the good content that srb2 message board have since v2.0 is out, i mean, i started srb2 since 1.09.4 and i seen the forums since 2.0 is out, so, my skill to talk in english sucks a little, and i cant register to this forum, in January, i learned too much the english language, and finally i registered to the srb2 mb, so, im almost active in this forum.

Joined in March of this year but didn't really do anything until April, so I'm relatively new around here. I've been a bit more active since then, though.

I don't remember all of the details, but Spazzo was staff for a short time during 2.0's development. Mystic and a few others saw him as an antagonizing prick so they banned him, and then I guess a few other members left the staff, which they attribute to Spazzo being a prick. I was pissed by the ban personally because I wanted SRB2 to become a more open and inviting community, and Spazzo was one of the only members in a position who fervently would push it in that direction.

That being said, it's been about five years, and I'm pretty much over it or else I wouldn't be here obviously. I don't get why everyone else is still hush-hush over it, but I guess some wounds heal slower than others.
Part of the reason we keep making "he who shall not be named" jokes is because every time Spazzo comes up, like clockwork he reappears and puts fresh salt in old wounds, then rubs it in as much as possible for good measure. To try to be as clear as possible, here's what originally happened (as objectively as I can write it, but obviously this is my side of the story):

Spazzo was brought onto the team as part of 2.0's development. He was egotistical but was still quite passionate and worked hard to make SRB2 better. As you stated, he was a big part of the room system on the master server to try to make the community more inclusive. The problem ended up being that ego after the 2.0.X releases and the dead period in 2.1 development began. For those that don't know, generally after a large release on hobby projects like this, there is a long lull in activity as everyone goes to do other things for a while. 2.0's patch cycle was a royal bitch and needless to say, the dev team was burnt out and not being productive at the time.

During this lull in activity, Spazzo basically went into Sky Sanctuary and tried to declare the project dead and that we should all pack up and do something else. Now, it's fine to want to do something else, of course; this is a hobbyist project and we all do this because we enjoy it, but he was actively trying to get people to quit the project and do something else. When a lot of us told him that we weren't interested in quitting and were just taking a break, he decided to quit regardless and I locked the topic. Up to this point, everything Spazzo had done was acceptable behavior.

Problem is, he didn't quit. Instead he started messaging people in private trying to get them to quit with him, and although his success on this is debatable, it was still in very bad taste. He'd post in the developer channels to complain about the way we were doing things. He also kept coming back and telling us all we should "move on" and pushing his original agenda about doing something else.

Then we had this topic about submissions delays, and everything fell into place at once for a pure shitshow. He basically stopped even trying to be civil and created a flamewar that was removed from the original thread, which I still have archived here from one of the first times this issue came up: http://mystic.srb2.org/spazzoflamewar.htm

After getting banned in that thread, he ban evaded twice, leading to a year-long ban. Over the duration of the ban he expressed remorse, apologized, and smoothed things over, but the damage was done. We all saw the outburst and complete disregard for our feelings and opinions, and realized that maybe we didn't really know him as well as we had originally thought. When the ban expired he continued his previous behavior of coming back every few months to start shit and express his opinions as strongly as he possibly could and it was becoming increasingly clear that he craved attention above all else. He did things like host streams where he'd talk about dev secrets and get as much attention as possible (for example, he talked about Metal Sonic publicly before 2.1's release). He had a consistent strategy where he'd intentionally say things that would make people angry at him on purpose to get attention, but claim he was just doing it because he "cared" or some shit along those lines, always refusing to admit that it was actually just trolling. Every time he caused a problem, he'd be arrogant about it initially but then apologize later, which became a clear pattern as time went on and his apologies started to wear really thin.

The final straw on the forums was when he resorted to trolling on the initial drama about the 2.1 emblem revamp because we didn't respond to his original post about it. After two and a half years of him constantly starting drama and intentionally trolling the dev team, I had personally gotten so fed up with dealing with his shit that I banned him on one of the few examples of a ban for the pure reason of maintaining order in the community. While I'm sure he'd still fervently deny trolling to this day since he seems to have an aversion to that word, I would personally call him the most successful troll this community has ever seen. He certainly succeeded in making me fucking mad.

However, that was not remotely the end of it. Every few months he would ban evade on #srb2fun to continue to make new drama. If anyone brought up his name it was like a devil summoning ritual. He STILL does this; his most recent endeavor was coming into the channel to query spam for Roly Poly Putt's PC release. That's right, he resorted to actively spamming people on SRB2's IRC to advertise his project. I have told him time and time again that I never want to talk to him again, yet he continues to query me for some reason. He's like the worst ex you could ever have, constantly calling back and asking to get back together, but I know better and don't want anything to do with him.

Basically, in conclusion, there is not any one incident that caused this giant festival of drama. It's just a giant clusterfuck of years upon years of terrible choices. While I won't claim it's ALL his fault, I do think his banning was by far the best choice for the rest of the team to not have to deal with his shit as frequently. I'm positive we're going to hear from a he who shall not be named in the near future, but if this is what it takes to stop hearing questions about it regularly, so be it. The ignore function is a powerful tool, I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back