If Sonic CD was on Nintendo Switch what do you want to see on it?

I would like to see North American Past music instead of Japanese Past music being reused and I want to see multiplayer as well as Knuckles.

---------- Post added at 05:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 AM ----------

If this is a pointless thread then you can delete it

FYI both regions share the same music when it’s Past.

edit~ oh if you’re talking about newly-composed past music to supplement the us stage tracks then yeah that’d be rly cool

Last edited:
At this point I'd be surprised if Sonic Team actually decided to make those "missing" past themes for the US soundtrack. After all, they could have done that with the 2011 rerelease but they ...didn't.

If it was my decision?

* Knuckles and maybe some other character as playable options. Preferably, some new character playstyle I've never played before (though honestly, that's just kind of a general Sonic game "want" from me).
* Some different time zone progression options. For example, having an option to start the next level in the time zone of the previous act, or being able to start all zones in the past or future, etc.
* Non-shitty time travel mechanics. (IMO, the super peelout should just trigger time travel automatically.)
* A real final boss, and maybe a hard mode. Honestly, Sonic CD is really easy.

I would like to see North American Past music instead of Japanese Past music

Definitely agreed on this one; the disparity between the past tracks and the US tracks has always irked me a little bit.

If Sonic CD were to be ported to the Switch, it would probably just be the Sonic CD Mobile/PC remake Taxman and others worked on. This isn't a bad thing, it's a very good port including Tails, widescreen support, as well as allowing you to pick your choice of soundtrack.

It's depressing that the Sonic 2 special stages were the ones that kept on coming back again and again and again with newer installments. Mania had the right idea with Blue Spheres and the chasing UFOs, and unironic kudos to Sonic 4 Episode 1 for giving the rolling maze concept a fresh redux as well.

I really like Sonic CD's special stage concept, but the design was a bit problematic in a few places, especially how if you know what you're doing it's impossible to lose because you can just hit the extra time UFO over and over.

I really like Sonic CD's special stage concept, but the design was a bit problematic in a few places, especially how if you know what you're doing it's impossible to lose because you can just hit the extra time UFO over and over.

To be fair, it does take a bit of skill to reliably hit the extra time UFO, particularly in areas with lots of water. I'd say the mechanic at base was okay, but should have applied some form of diminishing returns.

Prior to Mania, I'd say CD probably had the best stages right before Knuckles Chaotix. They were a little too easy, but I think it's better to hit below the bar rather than over it.

Honestly I really like all of the classic special stages except Sonic 1, and that's primarily because Sonic 1's special stage 3 is so incredibly bullshit that even with memorization you're just going to lose every once in a while to falling across the entire map at uncontrollable speeds.

Sonic 2's special stages seem divisive nowadays, and I think part of that is that they're both challenging and memorization-based and you are absolutely going to fail them a lot until you succeed. There seems to be a lot of hyperbole on that, with a lot of older players also seem to have forgotten the learning process they had to get to the point where they can trivially complete them, and a lot of newer players not considering stage memorization to be a reasonable mechanic. I think there's a middle ground there, but of course I grew up in an era where memorization and ingraining something into your muscle memory to complete it was quite common.

On the actual topic, the main thing I really want to see fixed in Sonic CD is a removal of the loading sequences that were needed in 1993 but sure aren't anymore now that we aren't playing on a 1x CD drive. Time travel would feel so much more satisfying to me if it was instantaneous and it just instantly swapped the maps with zero load time at all.

Sonic 2's special stages seem divisive nowadays, and I think part of that is that they're both challenging and memorization-based and you are absolutely going to fail them a lot until you succeed. There seems to be a lot of hyperbole on that, with a lot of older players also seem to have forgotten the learning process they had to get to the point where they can trivially complete them, and a lot of newer players not considering stage memorization to be a reasonable mechanic. I think there's a middle ground there, but of course I grew up in an era where memorization and ingraining something into your muscle memory to complete it was quite common.

Yeah, the problem I have with it is that the turns give you next to no warning on what's around the corner. This isn't really a problem during the first several special stages, which tend to lay out the items in a pretty intuitive manner, but the last two stages really like to throw out chunks of mines around turns, which puts them right in the player's blindspot. To be honest, I'm not sure how possible it would be to finish the sixth and seventh special stages on a blind run, simply because standing on the correct side of the half-pipe during a turn seems to be largely a matter of chance.

A lot of stuff that probably won't happen

Bring in Desert Dazzle, (I know Mirage Saloon exists, but it would be cool to see a past, present and Good/Bad Future for them, with unique level design.)

An actual final boss only accessible by collecting all the time stones.

Knuckles playable maybe, (I don't know, It might work nicely.)

And Super Sonic as an unlockable extra, just for us to mess around with after we've beaten the game.

I got a few things in mind, considering this is my favorite Sonic game...

Add Desert Dazzle with US and JP versions of present, bad & good futures.

Add Knuckles, Super/Time Warrior forms for all characters, as well as a unique play style with Amy, taking place after the good ending.

Add a completely customizable soundtrack, letting players pick between US and JP versions of all instances where the soundtracks differ (ex. Quartz Quadrant Present = US, Good Future = JP).
Also have some preset options if players don't care too much about the soundtrack: US only, JP only, recommended (mix of US & JP).

Widescreen is mandatory.

Here's a bonus:
With all that being said, I know most people will just choose the JP soundtrack anyway, so here's a sample of the US soundtrack at its finest:
Clicky Me!

I need one single function: time travel not being hard and confusing. A mere Super Peelout into a past/future sign has gotta be enough. Also, multiplayer and more playable characters.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back