SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Tikal/TikalX.wad for 2.1 Details »»
Tikal/TikalX.wad for 2.1
Developer Last Online: Apr 2014

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.20 average)
Released: 04-04-2014 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Characters Re-Useable Content

Well, I recently found out that 2.1 was released not too long ago, so I figured I'd try out the new version. After doing that, I checked to see how many of the character wads were already ported. Apparently not many, which made me sad. This is for the Tikal fanatics out there (pretty much just me), who really want to play as her again. It only took about 30 minutes (most of it was figuring out why she wasn't appearing in single player correctly and/or adjusting the info message), but as far as I can tell there's no glitches (please tell me if I'm wrong!). I've set her jump height back to her original's, but left speed, etc. the same as the most recent version of TikalX.wad. This is because the lower jump height (which was lower than Knuckles's BTW) made her a pain to play in at least one specific CTF map (don't remember the name of it, it was the green forest-y one from 2.0) when she had the flag. I might make a version with the jump height lowered as well, if anyone REALLY wants it, but it should just be a simple value edit, easy for anyone who knows even the most basic things about .wad editing, so I didn't find it necessary. Huge credit to Hunter Orion for the original .wad.

EDIT: Just realized screenshots were supposed to be attachments, sorry...

EDIT2: Fixed the endsign and life monitors, I forgot that changed in 2.1...

Download Now

File Type: zip Tikal.zip (66.5 KB, 2723 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.png
Views:	7297
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	4176   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.png
Views:	7269
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	4177  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 04-04-2014   #2
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Could you include some screenshots in the post as well?

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #3
DarkBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Could you include some screenshots in the post as well?
...wow, can't believe I forgot. Hold on, I'll go take a few real quick...

EDIT: Added. I'm still not sure whether or not I should add the original .wad's screenshots as well...

Last edited by DarkBones; 04-04-2014 at 04:10 PM.
DarkBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #4
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Nah, what you've got there should be fine.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #5
DarkBones

Sorry for the bump but...since its been a week since I submitted this, I was wondering if there was any problems with the .wad that needed to be fixed?
Old 04-18-2014   #6
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

You need to fix your 1ups and endsign. 1up should only have tikal's 1up head, not the surrounding monitor, and the endsign needs to only have tikal's endsign portrait, not the fill color or sign itself. Both now change color to match the player, and thus must be colored appropriately to allow this.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.

Last edited by Prime 2.0; 04-18-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #7
DarkBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime 2.0 View Post
You need to fix your 1ups and endsign. 1up should only have tikal's 1up head, not the surrounding monitor, and the endsign needs to only have tikal's endsign portrait, not the fill color or sign itself. Both now change color to match the player, and thus must be colored appropriately to allow this.
Alright, that should be fixed now. I forgot that the way those were done was changed with the new update (I thought it was just CFG stuff...).
Old 04-23-2014   #8
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge

There we go, all good for release~
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #9
Agustin1216
あなたは私の日本のユーザ名が好きですか ?

Tikal returned at last!
Downloading... Playing... It's like the 2.0 days!
I didn't find any problem... for now.
Old 04-24-2014   #10
Rex The Kitsune
Annoying Purple Dude

Alright, Tikal is back in business!
I'm glad to see some serious wads/ports popping up. The joke wads just aren't funny for me anymore.
Old 04-24-2014   #11
Larztard

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex The Kitsune View Post
I'm glad to see some serious wads/ports popping up. The joke wads just aren't funny for me anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblo View Post
Why on earth would you want Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff ported to 2.1? It's an eyesore on top of a poor joke with no actual gameplay, literally everything a player shouldn't want in a mod.
Quote:
...That's the whole point. :P
Hypocrite much?

Anyways, I like the colors on Tikal now. I don't know if you re-did the sprites or 2.1 is just cool like that.

Last edited by Larztard; 04-24-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Larztard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #12
Puppyfaic

Quote:
Love you too, Rex.

On-topic, I can't say I was ever a fan of Tikal. I love her as a character but this wad doesn't do her justice. Maybe you could use Lua give her some mystical powers?
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #13
DarkBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirblord23 View Post
Love you too, Rex.

On-topic, I can't say I was ever a fan of Tikal. I love her as a character but this wad doesn't do her justice. Maybe you could use Lua give her some mystical powers?
I've been learning Lua slowly but surely, but maybe I could do some extra powers if I could think of something that isn't too cheap (or maybe research what different attributes she had in SA2, I don't know because to be honest I never liked that game, and my only experience with Tikal in it is when I cheated to get her in the Chao Garden)... I've also thought about redoing her graphics to fit SRB2 more, but I'm not good at imitating other people's graphical styles, so yeah, maybe after I get more practice with the style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larztard
Anyways, I like the colors on Tikal now. I don't know if you re-did the sprites or 2.1 is just cool like that.
It's 2.1's colors. The only "new" graphics are the signpost graphic (since I had to change it anyway, and the old one was hideous, I copied one of her other frames and edited out everything but her face) and the 1-up graphic (only a few rows of black added, due to the fact that the old one was two pixels too short). Trust me, if I were to redo the graphics, that 1-up especially would not still be there, it literally looks as if the original artist just scrunched up her head in paint. No offense to whoever did the first sprites, everything else looks great, they just clash a little.
Old 04-24-2014   #14
Puppyfaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBones View Post
I've been learning Lua slowly but surely, but maybe I could do some extra powers if I could think of something that isn't too cheap (or maybe research what different attributes she had in SA2, I don't know because to be honest I never liked that game, and my only experience with Tikal in it is when I cheated to get her in the Chao Garden)...
I know in Sonic Adventure she could manipulate the power of the chaos emeralds, and in SA2B she had a lightning attack she could do, she could cause a small earthquake, and she could stop time.
Old 04-24-2014   #15
DarkBones

Quote:
...she could stop time.
That's convienient...

...if I decide that's the ability I want to give her that is (since it would be either useless or broken in multiplayer...)

I was thinking maybe she could turn into that light ball from SA1, but that might also be too broken. The hard part is deciding something that's equally useful in both match/ctf and in single player.
Old 04-24-2014   #16
Puppyfaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBones View Post
That's convienient...

...if I decide that's the ability I want to give her that is (since it would be either useless or broken in multiplayer...)

I was thinking maybe she could turn into that light ball from SA1, but that might also be too broken. The hard part is deciding something that's equally useful in both match/ctf and in single player.
My idea was at a ring cost, she could check for something within a radius around her and cast lightning down on them like in SA2B. This would let her quickly pop enemies in Singleplayer and attack nearby players in multiplayer.
Old 04-24-2014   #17
DarkBones

Quote:
My idea was at a ring cost, she could check for something within a radius around her and cast lightning down on them like in SA2B. This would let her quickly pop enemies in Singleplayer and attack nearby players in multiplayer.
That probably would work, if it's possible to spawn objects with Lua (I'm 99% sure that it's possible to do something that simple...). The major problem wouldn't be to get it working, but to keep it from feeling overpowered. It would likely be possible on some maps to grind up a bunch of rings and then keep spamming lighting, though raising it too high would keep it from being viable on other maps. I'm pretty sure that she'd be banned from most match/ctf servers, especially match, because of that (let's face it, a lot of people would ragequit from randomly being hit immediately due to not seeing Tikal and getting too close, at least getting that close to other characters, there's a chance they might miss...).

I don't see the earthquake being possible, at least not easily, but depending on what it actually did, it might be the most balanced. As for manipulating the chaos emeralds...yeah...that's just asking to be brokenly overpowered. I think I might play around a little with the lightning idea, as time stopping would obviously be broken in multiplayer no matter what I did (unless I deactivated it in multiplayer, which I wouldn't want to do).
Old 04-24-2014   #18
Puppyfaic

If spamming is an issue, you could always add some sort of cooldown to it.
Old 04-24-2014   #19
Agustin1216
あなたは私の日本のユーザ名が好きですか ?

Quote:
If spamming is an issue, you could always add some sort of cooldown to it.
...Maybe a ring cost?
Old 04-26-2014   #20
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense

No, I think he means like a timer.
Phil the hegi is offline   Reply With Quote