FOF Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larz T

Bool Man Larry
Judge
So I tried making some FOF's earlier today and they are functional except for a few graphical problems I've been experiencing.
9plx3
9pwNY.png

Any idea on how to fix this and how to prevent this from happening in the future?

By the looks of things, he's not going into them, but rather they are appearing in front of him when he stands near them. Correct me if I'm wrong, though...

That's a fairly common clipping issue with the game, but unfortunately there's not really a known fix (at least, that I know of). You could try lining the sides with thin invisible FOFs, but that might just end up looking weird in-game.

Just out of curiosity, though, is each sector with the FOF in it a single contiguous shape? If not, it may help to do that, and maybe divide each sector into convex shapes? I dunno if either of those would help (and unless there's some geometry outside your screenshot, you're probably even doing both of those things already), but it ...might... do something?

Last edited:
If this helps, here's the geometry for the fountain:
9uana.png

Almost every sector in that screenshot except for the square in the middle is in use with either a regular FOF or a water FOF.

As for the other screenie, it's not really too complex but it wouldn't hurt to show off the geometry for that too:
9uaA9.png

Only the red highlighted sectors are in use.

I guess I can put this here because it's sorta related to the general topic at hand...

Basically I've been having trouble with this FOF problem since Day 1 of my map. Basically it's a regular FOF, nothing too special but when I was dicking around with Knuckles, I could not climb down the FOF after a certain height but I can climb up past the point where it prevents me from climbing down. I had checked multiple times and the FOF was setup correctly just in case.

9BDxo.gif

I have Input.lua in use to let everyone know that I am trying to climb down rather than faking it.

I already had one professional look at this but he said he didn't know how to fix it but if you are reading this, you know who you are but thanks for trying either way. It's the thought that counts.

I have no actual ideas on how to fix this, but I do know that this same problem happens with the door at the beginning of ERZ3.

Re: Climbing FOF Problem

Well I came to a resolution when I decided to test out Sapphire Falls Zone that has the same FOF setup throughout the whole level and it turns out that you can't climb down the FOF's. Similar to my problem. Thinking it was a 2.1 bug, I went back to 2.0 and tried it again and I still couldn't climb down.

Bottom line, I have no idea if Sonic Team Jr. programmed FOF's to be like this or not but it's not getting fixed anytime soon. As for the graphic errors from the original post, I'm still looking for help on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back