Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbop800

BboP
I haven't seen this movie yet, but judging by the trailers, the movie looked interesting. It looks more like a love it/hate it type of movie. The action looked cheesy and the humor was decent.

So I'm wondering what you guys think of it whether or not you've seen it. Discuss.

Saturday the 14th, I had the pleasure of watching this wonderful film that somehow manages to be the best video game movie ever made, despite the fact that it is based on a comic book.

I am in lesbians with it. It is faithful (extremely faithful in fact) to the source material yet manages to be its own entity by outdoing the book itself. From level one to level seven in the Chaos Palace, this film manages to be the best representation of video game style unadulterated violence while managing to be a highly emotional and psychological journey through the world of love and self acceptance. The amount of crazy combos, Nintendo lore, Sonic sound effects, Marvel v.s. Capcom, chiptune music, and crazy awesome special effects had me nerdgasming in the most geekiest of ways possible. It is one of the most amazing movies of this year. It is the epitome of what makes gaming great as it pays tribute to this art in this approximately 1 hour and 50 minute movie.

Watch it.... NOW.

fffff

One of my younger brothers got to see it and he was talking about how freaking amazing the movie was. I have absolutely no way of seeing it as of now D:

I saw it and liked it. My family on the other hand hated it (except my mother, who thought it was okay), even my brother who I thought might like it hated it. Instead he'd rather watch Vampires Suck.

I saw it and liked it. My family on the other hand hated it (except my mother, who thought it was okay), even my brother who I thought might like it hated it. Instead he'd rather watch Vampires Suck.

Then might I say that he has rather bland sense of humor? I don't know how he could've watched the movie with a straight face and not laugh even once nor nerdgasm.

Then might I say that he has rather bland sense of humor? I don't know how he could've watched the movie with a straight face and not laugh even once nor nerdgasm.
He laughed, but in the end he still said it sucked. But I guess that's what happens when all the video games you play nowadays are usually FPS shooters, excluding mass effect 2, which that is just a shooter.

He might be a person who is entirely uninterested by video games and nerd culture (at least the games and culture that we tend to appreciate, judging from Supersonic2p3's second post) and therefore wouldn't appreciate a movie chock-full of references to such. My roommate actually happens to be one of those people. He doesn't play video games and probably wouldn't recognize many of the things we take for granted, such as The Legend of Zelda's various themes and sound effects from Sonic games. It's kinda like how I don't understand American football and have no intention of doing so.

By the way, I saw the film and liked it a lot.

The special effects were superb and mix in surprisingly well with live-action footage, the acting was great for the most part, and the fight scenes with Ramona's exes were kick-ass when they weren't resolved in a cop-out fashion (like, the whole thing with Boyfriend #3, with vegan-diet dependent psychic powers... what the fuck!?). And if you came for allusions to facets of nerd culture, well, you won't leave unsatisfied. So yeah, it was money well spent on my part.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has only finished reading the first graphic novel.

Last edited:
Haven't seen it yet, I might go see it tomorrow. I heard from one of my friends that The opening and one of Scott's dreams have some music from Zelda.

It's based off the comic series, however the feeling of the movie is as if it is a video game.

I must say I enjoyed this movie a lot. I did get to watch it with 2 other people. One of which appreciates video games but isn't too integrated in them, and the other who couldn't care less for video games.

The fight one thought the movie was funny and enjoyed the general humor of the movie, but missed out on some of the neater subtle gaming references that I noticed. This person enjoyed it overall, however, not on the same level I enjoyed it.

The second person basically laughed at a few of the jokes, but overall didn't understand a vast majority of it. (See the Level 7 of the movie) Not necessarily hated it, but he did not enjoy it exactly.

Basically, I recommend this movie to any gaming nerd who is not completely sucked into all things FPS. I did, however, think some of the fights dragged the movie down a bit (generic ones like 1, 2, 3, and 4) but the endings to the fights (especially 3) were pretty funny.

Wait, it's a video game movie? Last I heard it was based off a comic.

Saturday the 14th, I had the pleasure of watching this wonderful film that somehow manages to be the best video game movie ever made, despite the fact that it is based on a comic book.

A note to Bbop800

Please read the entire thing and get a grasp of what people are saying before posting. It makes you look less of a fool.

Thank you.

-Greg the Cat

A note to Bbop800

Please read the entire thing and get a grasp of what people are saying before posting. It makes you look less of a fool.

Thank you.

-Greg the Cat

He might be a person who is entirely uninterested by video games and nerd culture

I heard from one of my friends that The opening and one of Scott's dreams have some music from Zelda.

But I guess that's what happens when all the video games you play nowadays are usually FPS shooters, excluding mass effect 2, which that is just a shooter.

I skimmed through the posts, and reading these parts led me into thinking it was a video game movie. Sorry that I sometimes don't have enough time to read every single post word for word. I will read posts more thoroughly since you REALLY want me to. I will now look less like a "fool," happy now?

I was very excited to see this movie, and after going to see it, I left satisfied, the only thing that bugged me, was about 20 minutes into the movie, there are some funny parts but it wasn't as exciting, but as soon as the first evil ex encounter happened, My eyes were glued till the end. This is definitely going to be a movie I buy when it comes out on DVD.

Yeah~ Saw the movie about a week ago. Seeing it tomorrow again. It's one of those few movies that I actually enjoy watching~ Wallace and Knives were just as awesome as in the comic book and I freaked out whenever I heard the Sonic sound effects~
Really,,, The only thing that bugged me was that Envy had blonde hair instead of red like in the comic. Her band's cover of Black Sheep was amazing though~
And I suggest reading the comic too. It's just as good.

Also, the is a Scott Pilgrim video game for those of you who care~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN43uZPgmiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back